“Good value”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Kennewick
“Good value”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hotel was clean and quiet in a good location for Salem. The breakfast is at a Denny's located next to the hotel by vouchers. Choices were somewhat limited but adequate, however with most in hotel breakfast facilities there is more to choose from, fruit, yogurt, etc. Not a big deal but nice t know. Room (King bed) was spacious and quiet. No problems. Staff was professional and responsive. Cookies give to us when we checked in was a nice surprise.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jake B, General Manager at Best Western Plus Mill Creek Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. Your comments will help us to make improvements for our future guests. We appreciate your business, and hope to see you again soon!

Jake Bryant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Madras, Oregon
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stay at the Mill Creek Inn on average about 4 days per month. The stay is always very comfortable and clean. Your front desk people are great to work with. Ashley is always especially helpful and friendly! One comment I do have is concerning my summer stays. The air conditioners in the rooms seem to turn on and off very often, making it difficult to sleep. Maybe if they had a wider range of temps before changing, it would work better. But otherwise, I have only good things to say about my stays.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you, Robert, for your review of the Best Western PLUS Mill Creek Inn. I appreciate your kind comments about our front desk staff; they'll be very happy to hear what you had to say! We are in the process of upgrading our air conditioning units, so I hope that problem will be solved in the coming months. Please continue to let us know when we are meeting your needs, and when improvements are needed. We appreciate your continued business.

Denair, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed here while meeting family to exchange cars. Was a very quick trip. This facility was eye appealing and clean. I did seem to recognize what may have been an attempt to cover up Cigarette Smoke, but I loved that the windows actually opened so I could enjoy the Crisp Clean Oregon Air!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

oregon, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2014

what a nicely ran hotel. I liked how the staff is attentive and available for any questions or concerns, the rooms were updated and it was nice to see holiday decor through out the hotel. The hotel offers a great restraunt across the street with a nice choice of breakfast items to choose. Thank you for making it a wonderful stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Salem, United States
Reviewed December 31, 2013

When I got to Best Western Mill Creek Inn, I was told the room had been booked for 3 while I booked it for 4 of us. They only gave us 3 vouchers for breakfast then I had to pay for an additional meal.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jake B, General Manager at Best Western Plus Mill Creek Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you, Ali, for letting us know about the problem you experienced during your recent stay with us. I checked our records, and they show that the reservation was booked for three people, and that we never received notification of a fourth guest. I'm sorry if there was any miscommunication on our part; if we had known, we would have been happy to provide you with another breakfast voucher.

We appreciate your business, and hope that you will give us another opportunity the next time you are in Salem.

Castro Valley, California
Reviewed December 29, 2013

While traveling for the holidays we stayed at BW Plus Mill Creek. I grew up staying at BW's frequently with my parents and find they are a good, solid, family friendly choice. This location is no different. I agree with other reviews that the rooms are super clean, which is a plus since family members and myself have allergies/asthma. The included breakfast at Denny's across the parking lot is NOT a problem. The wait staff at Denny's is super friendly and flying around to make sure service is prompt *and orders accurate, even during peak customer times. We LOVED the pool, spa and sauna here. Again, all very clean. Business center was more than adequate to print our flight home boarding passes. We brought our own computers and we game online, which also went very smoothly with net speed quick enough to keep the flow happening.

HOWEVER, we had distinct and unusual problems during our stay, as well. The fan in the bathroom was a cross between a poorly tuned Harley and someone screeching at the top of their lungs. It took several requests and several days to get Maintenance to arrive.

We were horrified to find feces (human poop) in the shower in the sauna. Bits were scattered about the floor and a large clump was in the drain. Besides being a professional working woman, I am a mother. Trust me, we KNOW poop. And, of course, there was the smell...

We asked for a quiet room. Overall external noise was not an issue, although a few doors down from the lobby and facing the street is not my idea of what could best be offered. During the bulk of our stay the hotel was largely empty. Most hotels would have offered an upgraded room, or away from the street. Nope, not here. Near the end of our stay another party was placed directly above us (the hotel was not anywhere near full). It was like raging elephants were above us from early afternoon and into the night. I spoke to the front desk a couple of times. I have no idea if they actually spoke to the other occupants as the noise did not abate. Again, as a mother, I can appreciate that some children are full of energy and difficult to travel with. This does not mean that other guests must be disturbed to accommodate these travelers. A better solution would have been to either put those folks on a ground floor room, or possibly away from others so their needs did not infringe on other people's requests for a quiet night's sleep.

Last, when we asked if we could have a one-hour extension on our departure time at the end of our stay, the front desk (Ashley) found this to be an unreasonable request, stating that WE would need to contact Housekeeping in the morning and see if THEY were willing to accommodate our request. I am almost 60 and have NEVER had any hotel be anything more than happy to provide a one (1) hour delay on departure day, nor have we ever had to speak to anyone other than the front desk to do so. I am shocked. And who is paying the salary for these folks?

We will continue to use BW hotels because of their overall reliability and rewards program. I gave a good rating overall but possibly should have down graded due to the attitude, nature of problems, and response time.

Room Tip: If the room you request does not match your needs, speak up, until the hotel adjusts your accommodat...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jake B, General Manager at Best Western Plus Mill Creek Inn, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank your for your review of our property. I am so sorry to hear of the problems that occurred during your stay with us. I will have maintenance fix the fan in the bathroom, and speak with the front desk staff about better ways to handle requests for quiet rooms and late checkouts. I'm extremely sorry for the condition in which you found out sauna. The saunas are cleaned daily, so the mess must have been left by a prior guest that day. Our maintenance staff checked the sauna after your reported it, and said that it was dirt in the shower, but regardless, we will start having the saunas checked multiple times each day.

Again, thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We hope you will give us another opportunity to host your lodging needs in the future.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This was probably the cleanest hotel room that we have ever stayed in. It even smelled clean when you opened the door. I am a housecleaner and I am VERY picky and have been known to find something wrong in any room!
We usually stay at the Residence Inn up the street. One stay there had us killing a trail of ants across the bedroom! The last one had a broken light and microwave, and enough dog hair to rebuild a dog! It was time for a change!
The Best Western was wonderful! Better furniture, very comfortable bed, and all around cleaner room. We will be staying here from now on!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you, Yvonne, for your review of the Best Western PLUS Mill Creek Inn. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; our staff takes great pride in the cleanliness of our rooms. We look forward to your next stay with us!