“Excellent overall but surprising problems” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Mill Creek Inn

BEST WESTERN PLUS Mill Creek Inn
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Castro Valley, California
“Excellent overall but surprising problems”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

While traveling for the holidays we stayed at BW Plus Mill Creek. I grew up staying at BW's frequently with my parents and find they are a good, solid, family friendly choice. This location is no different. I agree with other reviews that the rooms are super clean, which is a plus since family members and myself have allergies/asthma. The included breakfast at Denny's across the parking lot is NOT a problem. The wait staff at Denny's is super friendly and flying around to make sure service is prompt *and orders accurate, even during peak customer times. We LOVED the pool, spa and sauna here. Again, all very clean. Business center was more than adequate to print our flight home boarding passes. We brought our own computers and we game online, which also went very smoothly with net speed quick enough to keep the flow happening.

HOWEVER, we had distinct and unusual problems during our stay, as well. The fan in the bathroom was a cross between a poorly tuned Harley and someone screeching at the top of their lungs. It took several requests and several days to get Maintenance to arrive.

We were horrified to find feces (human poop) in the shower in the sauna. Bits were scattered about the floor and a large clump was in the drain. Besides being a professional working woman, I am a mother. Trust me, we KNOW poop. And, of course, there was the smell...

We asked for a quiet room. Overall external noise was not an issue, although a few doors down from the lobby and facing the street is not my idea of what could best be offered. During the bulk of our stay the hotel was largely empty. Most hotels would have offered an upgraded room, or away from the street. Nope, not here. Near the end of our stay another party was placed directly above us (the hotel was not anywhere near full). It was like raging elephants were above us from early afternoon and into the night. I spoke to the front desk a couple of times. I have no idea if they actually spoke to the other occupants as the noise did not abate. Again, as a mother, I can appreciate that some children are full of energy and difficult to travel with. This does not mean that other guests must be disturbed to accommodate these travelers. A better solution would have been to either put those folks on a ground floor room, or possibly away from others so their needs did not infringe on other people's requests for a quiet night's sleep.

Last, when we asked if we could have a one-hour extension on our departure time at the end of our stay, the front desk (Ashley) found this to be an unreasonable request, stating that WE would need to contact Housekeeping in the morning and see if THEY were willing to accommodate our request. I am almost 60 and have NEVER had any hotel be anything more than happy to provide a one (1) hour delay on departure day, nor have we ever had to speak to anyone other than the front desk to do so. I am shocked. And who is paying the salary for these folks?

We will continue to use BW hotels because of their overall reliability and rewards program. I gave a good rating overall but possibly should have down graded due to the attitude, nature of problems, and response time.

Room Tip: If the room you request does not match your needs, speak up, until the hotel adjusts your accommodat...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Jake B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Mill Creek Inn, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank your for your review of our property. I am so sorry to hear of the problems that occurred during your stay with us. I will have maintenance fix the fan in the bathroom, and speak with the front desk staff about better ways to handle requests for quiet rooms and late checkouts. I'm extremely sorry for the condition in which you found out sauna. The saunas are cleaned daily, so the mess must have been left by a prior guest that day. Our maintenance staff checked the sauna after your reported it, and said that it was dirt in the shower, but regardless, we will start having the saunas checked multiple times each day.

Again, thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We hope you will give us another opportunity to host your lodging needs in the future.

Jake Bryant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

This was probably the cleanest hotel room that we have ever stayed in. It even smelled clean when you opened the door. I am a housecleaner and I am VERY picky and have been known to find something wrong in any room!
We usually stay at the Residence Inn up the street. One stay there had us killing a trail of ants across the bedroom! The last one had a broken light and microwave, and enough dog hair to rebuild a dog! It was time for a change!
The Best Western was wonderful! Better furniture, very comfortable bed, and all around cleaner room. We will be staying here from now on!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you, Yvonne, for your review of the Best Western PLUS Mill Creek Inn. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; our staff takes great pride in the cleanliness of our rooms. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Salem, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

This hotel rocks! The room was very nice, the staff was very helpful, and the hotel itself was beautiful with Christmas decorations. I would definitely choose to stay here again on my next trip to Salem OR.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Bend, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

The room was exceptionally large for the price, plus the breakfast, served at Denny's just across the parking lot was very good. You were able to choose a hot breakfast from several choices on the menu ticket. The indoor pool and Jacuzzi were also very nice and very large. We received, cookies at check in and mints in the room. The coffee in the lobby was very good as was the pod type in the room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jake B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Mill Creek Inn, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you, Suzanne, for your review of the Best Western PLUS Mill Creek Inn. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Salem!

Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

I have stayed at several Best Westerns. The Mill Creek Inn is a nice choice. I stayed here years ago for business so decided to give it a try again while in town. The décor is interesting. A mix of old and new. It is obvious that the hotel had had some updating, however some of the "old school" still exists. Doors and hardware have not been updated and the carpet in the hallway could use some attention. The room I stayed in had some nice amenities and updates such as new modern bedding, granite, etc., however there was a kind of tacky recliner, or as I love to call them barkalounger in the corner and a very old school cordless phone. The room could use some additional outlets or strips to accommodate things you need to plug in, especially near the bed. You have to either unplug the clock radio or lamp to plug things in. Upon arrival as I was checking in the fire alarm was sounding. The staff could use some training on what to do should this happen in the future. The front desk clerk was obviously irritated by the noise and the people asking questions about whether or not they should evacuate. She could use some additional training in customer service during stressful situations. I never even heard to apologize once for the inconvenience people were experiencing. Instead she seemed bothered. I would probably give the place another try because of my rewards program, however I may try the Hampton on my next visit to town.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate your review; your comments will help us to improve the stays of our future guests. We have planned some more updating of our property in the upcoming year, and we are providing our staff with better training on how to react during a fire alarm and other emergency situations.

Again, thank you for your comments, and we hope to see you again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

Nice hotel with nice real Christmas tree in the lobby. Nice girls at check in. Clean Rooms. Would stay here again and would recommend to others. Lovely Breakfast. Nothing I can think of to complain about.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed here in just by chance and were very pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious and most comfortable. The only bothersome thing I noticed was the noise the refrigerator made when it turned off. I'd stay here again, without a doubt. Just unplug the fridge!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jake B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Mill Creek Inn, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you, Kevin, for your review of our property. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! If you contact me at bwmci@msn.com with your information, I would love to look up the room you stayed in and have the refrigerator fixed. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next stay with us.