“Great stay - would stay again!”

Howard Johnson Inn Salem
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Fes, Morocco
“Great stay - would stay again!”
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I stayed here for a night (I may stay again tonight) as I found it fairly reasonable ($50/night; including the tax). My room was comfortable....fridge, clean, clean bathroom, comfortable with heat is all I need. I also did my laundry here; change for quarters up at the reception. I paid about $70 at the last place (Village Green in Cottage Grove) and didn't even have a fridge/laundry access....I swear, the comfort level was the exact same but I paid $20 more at the Village Green for a backyard garden I didn't use. There is a microwave at the reception at the HJ (the other place didn't have this either!). Mr. Sheng speaks PERFECT English; give me a break with that review mentioning his fault language ability. He works incredibly hard and diligently and he's putting his daughters through school (and he mentioned he wished they'd speak Chinese more often!). One girl is graduating from college in Seattle, one is at OSU and the other is a brilliant girl in high school. He was very friendly and seems like a kind father/family man who is so proud of his girls and is working hard to bring up children who will be great citizens. Give the man a break.

I'd stay here again - the only thing that annoyed me a bit was the noise of the doors/maid rustling about in the morning. At night, it was perfect...but I noticed in the morning you can hear the cars on the road and the noise around the hotel.

I did not have the breakfast so I can't speak on that....cheap/free continental brekkies aren't my thing and I carry fruit/yogurt/snacks around. Thought it was pretty cool they even have a fitness center - only a step machine, treadmill and I think a bike. Still better to have the option than not because it was another amenity I had asked about at the Village Green and they didn't have it.

The wireless internet worked fine (I'm using it right now as I type...). Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank RunawayRainbow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I arrived alone with a young child, together with the usual car load of bags. Unloaded onto a trolley and then found out that we had a second floor room and the motel had no lifts. I paid the extra to be "upgraded" to a ground floor room. The only ground floor room left was a handicapped room.

The room was dirty and stinky. It was too far away from the check-in desk to have a wireless connection. I needed to spend 2 hours on the sofa in the check-in room working on the internet as my room had no connection. The motel staff couldn't care less (I actually think the manager didn't speak enough English to understand the problem). The room was next to a heavily used outside door that slammed shut all through the night, literally making the furniture in the room judder and waking us up.

I was pleased to leave.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Salem hotels

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I gave good reviews for this last time a couple winters ago. Well, we decided to spend the night again here on a road trip back to California from Canada. Only this time in summer. Room was great. Huge in fact. Two king beds and the price half of any of the others in the area. Location was just simply too convenient with chicken, pizza, sandwiches and other fast food within walking distance. A/C was cool and quiet and the wireless internet worked great. The beds I think are new and super-comfy! I didn't use the frige or microwave, but they were there in the room. I can't see how folks would complain about this place, as the location, price, and quality should exceed anyone's expectation in this range. Yes, the card readers for the rooms are bottom loading, and they have a smart Java-chip instead of some dopey mag-stripe with most top-loading systems. And the facility does have dim lights and dark carpet in the hallways. For some, that can rate a 2-star review because we did have to wait on a geriatric couple trying to work the door and they couldn't find their way once inside. But if you aren't addicted to luxury entitlements and need to get the best price-performance in Salem, OR, I have to say hands down, this is definitely the place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ThePauper
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I like this hotel, has all amenities including hair dryer, easy to open windows with screens. Very comfortable bed, clean, and relatively quiet. The only real problem I had was there is no microwave in the room. The microwave is down in the lobby area, none in the room. So, for those who plan on using their microwave frequently this could be an issue, going back and forth to the lobby each time. Additionally, I saw black smudge prints on the side of the oven where many people had opened the door using the oven. However, the hotel and rooms are well kept and clean. I would not stay at this hotel again for this reason as I use the mirco frequently.

The staff is friendly and helpful for the most part, its on a busy street, but fairly quiet at night

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Oregon
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed here with a baseball team for a state tournament. We reserved a block of ten rooms. Upon arrival we were told there would be a $10 fee if we checked out early. Turns out they meant $10 per night for the duration of our reservation. Because we checked out a day early there was a $50 fee.

A "full continental breakfast" is what Kai Sheng, the manager, said they had. It was a tiny breakfast room with nothing but cereal, several day old fruit, and a few bagels and cold waffles. Clearly not a full continental breakfast.

There was a cabbage-like smell that permeated every hall and the lobby. At times it was overbearing. There was nowhere outside to sit or for the boys to play. It was all asphalt with no grass. The swimming pool was grossly misrepresented in the photos on the website. It is tiny!

Overall I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Our family booked a group of rooms here in April. We wer in town for a family wedding and weren't going to be in the rooms for any length of time. While the rooms were nothing fancy, they were clean and comfortable and all the basics were included (hairdryer, mini fridge, iron and ironing board). The breakfast was sufficient and there's a Dutch Brothers Coffee right next door. The desk clerks (owners I believe) were very friendly. The halls near the lobby did smell like fish, but it didn't affect the rooms. This is not a place I would book if I were on an extended vacation or was going to be spending a lot of time in my room, but it certainly served its purpose of providing a clean, comfortable place to sleep.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I wanted an inexpensive room, and that's exactly what I got.

I can't say that this Howard Johnson had anything spectacular to offer, though it was one of the best prices in town for the type of room I needed. The folks at the front desk (the owners, I think) were very friendly and willing to help. They offered me a map of Salem (which was not useful because it was not to scale and missing several roads) and gave me opinions on places to go and things to see, even though I was there on business and would not have time for much entertainment.

The free Wi-Fi worked for my whole stay, though it did slow down a few times.

I did find a few minor problems with the place.
- Finding it, even with a good map or a GPS unit, is not easy because of its location. I do not recommend trying to make left turn either in to or out of their parking lot--traffic will generally not allow it.
- Except in the morning, I couldn't help noticing the scent of fried shrimp in every hall.
- There was no view to speak of other than the parking lot, which was unimpressive.

I did feel secure staying there, though. I also found a nice little pizza place nearby, and the location places it within easy reach of most areas of Salem. The room was clean, and the bed was reasonably comfortable. The shower stall was nice and large, and I had plenty of hot water. I had a small fridge in the room, which was nice, I had to go down near the lobby to use a tiny microwave.

My only real complaint would have to be the free breakfast. While I did find enough food to satiate my hunger, I was not impressed. They had bagels but no cream cheese. They had a waffle maker and cups of waffle batter but no syrup. The pastries were those individually-wrapped sweet roll things. The bananas and orange juice were good, though.

It's nice for a quick stop on the way through town or just a place to sleep. It's definitely not a vacation stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business