“Meets Minimum Requirements”

Howard Johnson Inn Salem
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I wanted an inexpensive room, and that's exactly what I got.

I can't say that this Howard Johnson had anything spectacular to offer, though it was one of the best prices in town for the type of room I needed. The folks at the front desk (the owners, I think) were very friendly and willing to help. They offered me a map of Salem (which was not useful because it was not to scale and missing several roads) and gave me opinions on places to go and things to see, even though I was there on business and would not have time for much entertainment.

The free Wi-Fi worked for my whole stay, though it did slow down a few times.

I did find a few minor problems with the place.
- Finding it, even with a good map or a GPS unit, is not easy because of its location. I do not recommend trying to make left turn either in to or out of their parking lot--traffic will generally not allow it.
- Except in the morning, I couldn't help noticing the scent of fried shrimp in every hall.
- There was no view to speak of other than the parking lot, which was unimpressive.

I did feel secure staying there, though. I also found a nice little pizza place nearby, and the location places it within easy reach of most areas of Salem. The room was clean, and the bed was reasonably comfortable. The shower stall was nice and large, and I had plenty of hot water. I had a small fridge in the room, which was nice, I had to go down near the lobby to use a tiny microwave.

My only real complaint would have to be the free breakfast. While I did find enough food to satiate my hunger, I was not impressed. They had bagels but no cream cheese. They had a waffle maker and cups of waffle batter but no syrup. The pastries were those individually-wrapped sweet roll things. The bananas and orange juice were good, though.

It's nice for a quick stop on the way through town or just a place to sleep. It's definitely not a vacation stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank HawaiianShirts
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn Salem

Reviewed September 26, 2009

Great value and the folks running the place are nice people.

I stay here regularly and appreciate the no-nonsense value that they offer.

My company uses them exclusively for the Salem area & I'm OK with that..

Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank delme2
Reviewed August 3, 2009

An ok stay for one night while on our way further south. It's not a very appealing place. Even though the management has freshly painted the property, it still seemed like a 70's era college dorm. Views and parking area are industrial type. Hallways smelled like the soccer shoes that were piled up by a youth team. The bed was very comfortable and the pool was refreshing for an early morning swim. Breakfast was sparse but there is a new strip mall next door will many food options. We ate dinner downtown at McGraths Fish House - very good.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NorthwestCoaster
Reviewed July 10, 2009

This place was run by a few Cantonese speaking Chinese. My wife's native tongue, and I speak a little too. We had our reservations for the end of December when the coldest winter storm hit the Salem/Portland area in 27 years. I-5 was closed at Salem and just before exit 253 and that last mile took about 1 hr to inch along as crews tried to salt and scrape down a 1 inch thick layer of ice over the freeway. We had chains on and got through. The hotel staff made a valiant effort to clear the parking lot. We managed to park, but it came down during the night at 1 ft per hour at times and in the morning, cars were stuck early on in 3 ft of snow. Even emergency management was using this Hotel as a place to put folks who's homes had caved in from ice and snow. The stay was still okay, and by 11am, they cleared enough of the parking lot for us to get back out and into Portland, heading up to Vancouver. Service was quite good even though it was a tough time for Salem, and the rooms were clean, the power stayed up, and it was very affordable. Just down the street on Mission a few block from the Costco. We bought food and supplies there and brought it back to the hotel and didn't get stuck in the snow. We felt warm, cozy, and secure in our rooms that night. I was travelling with a full load too - wife, 3 young kids and my 2 parents (aka Grandma and Grandpa). Breakfast was simple but sufficient. Because the price was so much better than the Residence Inn, this is the first place I check and book now that I know. It's an old place and some might say looks dumpy, but the rooms were clean and well kept and that's what counts. Close to shopping and other places in Salem. And a safe haven in the worst storm in 3 decades.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank gyozadude
Reviewed December 18, 2008

A shabby property with a pleasant but ill-kempt desk clerk that looked like he was the next entree in a horror movie, there wasn't a speck of breakfast or even any coffee the next morning.

The room was so-so in cleanliness. The bed was comfortable - that was the best part.

The rest of the hotel was dingy, the card locks didn't work very well, and overall, the entire hotel was pretty icky. This was supposed to be a "Tier 2" hotel on another website. God save us from ever staying at Tier 1.

Our room was quiet overall.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patroo
Reviewed September 26, 2008

For this particular night we just needed a place to regroup and repack our suitcases for the next leg of the trip. Knowing we would be arriving late and leaving early, all we needed was a standard room that was clean with no-hassle wi-fi, and this served that purpose very well. This was our first time staying at HoJo, and we wanted to give it a try, and for the price, I think we got good value.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank golfsierra47
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Salem was the one night on our trip that we did not book a room in advance as we were just passing through and weren't sure where we would want to stop. And, as Murphy's Law would tell you, it was the one night that it was REALLY hard, almost impossible to find one. Apparently there were a lot of conventions going on in town or something. We rolled into the Howard Johnson's. He only had rooms with single beds remaining, so we'd have to get 3 separate rooms. We nearly drove off, but then he discounted our rate to $55/night for each room. The room itself was fine - nothing too exciting, but clean, and relatively quiet with comfortable beds and A/C. There was a full continental breakfast available in the morning. This was a great spot to stay for a quick night while traveling through Oregon - just a couple of minutes off I-5. Normally I avoid HoJo's like the plague, but this one was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family