I wanted an inexpensive room, and that's exactly what I got.
I can't say that this Howard Johnson had anything spectacular to offer, though it was one of the best prices in town for the type of room I needed. The folks at the front desk (the owners, I think) were very friendly and willing to help. They offered me a map of Salem (which was not useful because it was not to scale and missing several roads) and gave me opinions on places to go and things to see, even though I was there on business and would not have time for much entertainment.
The free Wi-Fi worked for my whole stay, though it did slow down a few times.
I did find a few minor problems with the place.
- Finding it, even with a good map or a GPS unit, is not easy because of its location. I do not recommend trying to make left turn either in to or out of their parking lot--traffic will generally not allow it.
- Except in the morning, I couldn't help noticing the scent of fried shrimp in every hall.
- There was no view to speak of other than the parking lot, which was unimpressive.
I did feel secure staying there, though. I also found a nice little pizza place nearby, and the location places it within easy reach of most areas of Salem. The room was clean, and the bed was reasonably comfortable. The shower stall was nice and large, and I had plenty of hot water. I had a small fridge in the room, which was nice, I had to go down near the lobby to use a tiny microwave.
My only real complaint would have to be the free breakfast. While I did find enough food to satiate my hunger, I was not impressed. They had bagels but no cream cheese. They had a waffle maker and cups of waffle batter but no syrup. The pastries were those individually-wrapped sweet roll things. The bananas and orange juice were good, though.
It's nice for a quick stop on the way through town or just a place to sleep. It's definitely not a vacation stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- updated melm 3/11/07 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Howard Johnson Inn Salem reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Inn Salem Hotel Salem
- Howard Johnson Salem
- Salem Howard Johnson
- Howard Johnson Hotel Salem
- Howard Johnson Inn Salem Oregon