All reviews grape juice waffles english muffin busy street comfortable bed in room coffee easy access wi fi one night stay clean rooms fresh fruit front desk clerk hojo microwave laundry costco highway
Reviewed August 21, 2018

Very nice budget hotel. Room was spotlessly clean and generously sized, with two king (yes, king) beds--plenty of room for our family of four. An excellent overall value at less than $100 for the night.

Only two small quibbles (which don't really matter to me): Bathroom was small by today's standards. No tub, just a shower stall. And while the hotel offers a complementary breakfast, the breakfast room was small and overcrowded--we just took a couple bananas and then headed for Starbucks.

But I would happily stay here again if in the area.

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed August 8, 2018

Nice stay . In a good location.Not too far off freeway . Fast food nearby. Winco close if you need something . Dutch Bros coffee next door . Bed was a little too firm for me though. Other than that pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed August 8, 2018

I chose this hotel for my husband's trip to Salem for a conference because it looked like it was close to some local breweries, and we were not disappointed with the location! It was about a mile to Santiam Brewing, a few parking lots away from Sparky's Taphouse, and a little longer walk or a very short drive to several other breweries. Also right near several restaurants, so we had choices for dining out.

We were pleasantly surprised that despite being right on a main thoroughfare, we didn't hear any road noise from inside the hotel. It was quiet during our whole stay, the staff was friendly and helpful when we asked for anything, and the breakfast was well-run with solid fare and decent coffee. The rooms were clean, basic, no frills-- exactly what I expected for the price.

I had easy access to downtown Salem to run an errand, and easy access to I-5 when it came time to head home. If we stay in Salem again, we will choose the Howard Johnson.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2018

The Salem Howard Johnson was our main stay when visiting family in Salem, but never again. There were more things that did not work in the room than worked. Hair dryer, coffee maker, water pressure, lights - all worthless. We reserved a three night stay, but only needed two nights. I called a day before arrival to cancel the third night. We can't do that, you have go through Wyndham. I called Wyndham, I can't do that, but you can do it at check-in. At check-in - no you have to go through Wyndham. We stayed at 3 different hotels, this trip. HJ gets credit for the best towels, but nothing else.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

we stayed in this very hotel 7 years ago at our 1 ur anniversary then again 7 years later. Its a great location for access to all areas of Roanoke and the new river valley.easy access to the interstate and good breakfast clean rooms .

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple