“OMG.......Don't stay here!!!”

Howard Johnson Inn Salem
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I made this reservation based on some of the reviews I had read. People made statements like clean and comfortable. This hotel is anything but that!! I guess when I arrived and saw that it was next to the adult store it should have been a clue as to what we were in for. The hotel was very noisy. Lots of people partying and loud. Hotel desk person was very rude when we called the front desk and requested extra pillows. He did bring us the pillows as requested. Our room!!! I wish I could post photos. The room was very large which was very nice, however it was not very clean. The bathroom was TERRIBLE lots of mold growing on the wall above the shower. The base of the shower on the outside never gets cleaned, floor in the shower was almost black, but what got me most was the blood splatter on two of the walls in the bathroom. I will never stay here again and I will never refer anyone to stay here. Too bad for them because I travel a lot. They just lost my business!!

Room Tip: A good tip to choose a good room is......Don't stay at this motel. There are lots of other mote...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Free2BmeLAK

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Simple. Basic. Clean. That sums it up. We have stayed here at least 6 times in the past couple years. Easy to find. Basic room. VERY comfortable bed. Wifi & cable TV. Fridge. Coffee Maker. CLEAN. Continental breakfast (from Costco). Again, Simple. We book directly with the owner & have not paid more that $50/night. Can't beat that!

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are better, no one walking around above you! Not the best insulation.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Overall this property was okay.

I had a nice rate, it was not too far off the freeway, the room was clean and the WiFi was dependable. The workout room was sufficient and there was a breakfast in the morning.

I didn't get to enjoy the breakfast because someone had burned some toast very badly and I when I walked in the room the smell made my eyes water and I instantly lost my appetite.

Although the hotel was sufficient the deal breaker was the shower. The head was coming off the wall to the point that I had to replace the ring back on the wall. Also the drain was so slow by the time I finished my shower I was standing in a large puddle of soapy and dirty water.

I had read this in another review, but it didn't bother me. Now that I experienced it for myself and have heard about this happening to others, it seems to be an issue with this hotel.

It was not enough to request a room change, but enough to not want to come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Room was small but adequate and clean. Amenities like frig, iron, ironing board, hair dryer were available. The breakfast room was great providing a
continental breakfast and even waffles. The price was reasonable and the location was central.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Efficient checkin with choice of floors offered gave us a good first impression. Room appeared clean even if not very big. The location was convenient as we were visiting the Capitol. There was a laundry room which had a large size washer for those travelers on the road for extended time.
Breakfast offered enough choices for all of us, a second fruit would be a nice addition. The number of tables was inadequate for the number of people eating at any one time-although I certainly cannot speak to the earlier hours.
All in all, quite satisfactory.

Room Tip: All rooms had convenient parking, but with no elevator seniors or anyone with difficulty walking sho...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple