“Great hotel, wonderful restaurant.”

The Grand Hotel in Salem
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Salem
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I've stayed at the Grand several times. The rooms are large and nicely appointed, and the staff is always thoughtful and considerate. The restaurant is a particular high point: superb seafood, and excellent bar and very nice atmosphere make it a stand out among hotels. Finally, the complementary continental breakfast is the best I have encountered. Great job Grand! I'll be back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Mac-Van

Reviewed February 21, 2011

Surprise of Surprise was this hotel. Thought I would be staying in a place with a little service, class, and manners. The shuttle did not pick me up at the Amtrak station, which I had previously reserved, then had to take a taxi. When I arrived, no porter to help with my bags, had to do it alone, and I had a three. When asked about the shuttle, they were not aware of any request, and then the next day found out, no shuttle when I leave 2 days later. Another taxi. The adjoining room, had someone making telephone calls, and you could hear every word on what was being said.
When I checked out, no "good morning" had to repeat my name, room number twice.
The toilet did not work, I was very glad to leave this place, will NOT be staying again, and also NOT recommend it to anyone.
I have been traveling for about 2 months, and the 3rd world countries I have visited had better service, and hotels.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Victoria1328
scottSalemOr, Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2011

I would like to apologize for this experience. We had traded emails regarding the shuttle service to the Amtrak Station when you made your initial reservation and I obviously did not communicate well enough to help you understand that we ask guests to call the hotel when they actually arrive in Salem since the posted schedule and actual arrival times tend to vary because of issues outside of Amtrak's control. Each person on our staff has been shown your review to really impress upon them how impactful the face to face contact is and focusing on that guest only. I can only apologize and extend an offer to contact us for a future visit to redeem your impression of our facility. While I can't claim perfection, I am filled with pride because of the staff that I have working with me and the beautiful facility that I get to work in everyday.

Respectfully,

Scott Snyder

Reviewed January 17, 2011

Stayed one night in mid-January. Venerable, classic, early 19th Century architecture with its grand lobby reminding us of an earlier period of elegance and sophistication. Rooms are modern, however. Stayed one night in mid-January on 4th floor in quiet, very clean room, but somewhat dark, thanks to too many cool-lightbulbs. Recommend you request room away from elevator bell - noisy. The breakfast buffet included is just OK. Hotel connects to Benton's Restaurant and is ideally situated in downtown Salem. Will likely stay here again when in Salem next.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Seessee
Reviewed December 28, 2010

The Grand is far and away the best place to stay in Salem for business or pleasure. The location gives you walking access to all of downtown, the riverfront, the State Capitol and Willamette University. By car you're only 15 to 20 minutes away from some great Oregon wineries. The accommodations are very good and the staff are knowledgeable and friendly. Rooms are large, clean and easy to work from. On the downside, you handle your car and luggage yourself, but on the plus side internet access, breakfast (a darn good one), use of the business center and fitness room/pool are included. Oh, and then there's the afternoon cookies! The attached restaurant, Bentley's, is very good, one of the better restaurants in town.

I've stayed at the Grand maybe 15 times over the past 3 years. You'd have to go to Portland (an hour north) to find a better hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank dmacljones
Reviewed December 28, 2010

The Grand Hotel is welcoming right from the start--friendly front desk staff, warm lobby and cookies on the front desk. The rooms are lovely and spacious and the location couldn't be better.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Linda_YSeattle
Reviewed December 16, 2010

The finest hotel we could find in Salem, or in fact on our entire Oregon trip and we even had a very reasonable price. We had a large, quiet room, and only wish we had had time to enjoy the restaurant, bar and other amenities. Breakfast was included and was an excellent buffet with many choices. The staff were professional, courteous and helpful. Free parking was a plus.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WorldTravelers25
Reviewed November 16, 2010

The Grand Hotel is a great spot in Salem. We stayed 2 nights while touring pinot wine country and greatly enjoyed our stay....wonderful staff, nice rooms, good complimentary breakfast, and easy walking to shops and restaurants. That said, the Hotel's restaurant is fantastic and has a abundant list of Oregon and Washington wines.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple