“Pleasantly Surprised”

The Grand Hotel in Salem
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Salem
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went for quick trip to Salem to visit family. We have stayed at a couple of different chain places, and I didn't even know this place existed. It is right downtown, very convenient. I had seen on a website somewhere some pictures of the rooms, and I was not so sure as I thought I saw the old style TV's and what looked like bedspreads on the beds, I was very happy when we got to our room which was very comfortable, large and updated.. It was 93 degrees there that day and our air conditioner kept us quite cool. The bed was very comfortable. The people there were just wonderful and very friendly. They have underground parking, which in Seattle would have cost us an arm and leg. It was free. I know Salem is a small place, but it was a nice surprise anyway There is a complimentary breakfast, which as far as those things go, was pretty good. . A week later we had a thank you from them in the mail. This is a place I will go back to on the next trip to Salem.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
scottSalemOr, General Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Jvenneberg,

Thank you for the great feedback, you've touched on just about every aspect of the staff and facility! It is a real pleasure to share these with the team.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I typically reserve my 5 star ratings for the beautiful resorts I've been blessed enough to visit, but I have to give The Grand Hotel in Salem that same rating. The hotel was great with no negatives. The parking was easy and convenient. The check in process was smooth and the staff friendly. The room was clean and VERY large. We ordered room service twice it was fast with the food still hot upon arrival (this is a big deal for room service food). I worked out at the gym, it was small, but had everything necessary for a full body workout. The pool area was clean and surprisingly empty (which also made it relaxing). We wanted to go shopping one day and the hotel staff was again -- very helpful providing us perfect directions to the nearest mall. We had lunch and the restaurant in the hotel one day and it too was really good. Again -- while not a resort, it's a well deserved 5 star rating.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank travelgirls07
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Overall the hotel has a nice look and feel. The lobby really is grand and everyone we encountered friendly and helpful. Now, we are Southerners so we're not talking Southern-level friendly, but extremely friendly by Pacific Northwest standards. Breakfast was okay, and frankly more than we expected for a breakfast included with our room: Pancakes, sausage, fruit, breads, etc. I never saw the waffle station mentioned by another reviewer.

The pool is not large but the jacuzzi was quite big, nice and hot and relaxing. During our stay there was some kind of pre-teen soccer tournament which meant lots of high-pitched shrieking and a crowded pool but there's not much you can do about that, I guess.

The room was big (with a king sized bed and separated couch/coffee table area. Plenty of room and a nice bathroom.

Other unexpected perks included free underground parking (great for the HOT weather during our stay), free wifi, in-room fridge and microwave.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FamlyFly
scottSalemOr, General Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for choosing our hotel, the soccer tournament that was in town attracted over 200 teams this past weekend, having an indoor pool in Oregon is great until you add 20-40 teens. I am glad to hear that your breakfast experience was positive, with as many guests as we had in the hotel for the weekend, we removed the waffle irons and replace them with pancakes to help with the flow.
We hope the rest of your visit to the Northwest was enjoyable as well.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights and would return again. The rooms are very nice and fairly priced for the quality. It is located in the downtown area. You can easily walk to the downtown for shopping or dining. We ate at Bentleys one night which is located in the hotel. The food was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ronb359

ronb359,

Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you had an opportunity to try Bentley's while you were here.

See you next time,

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Checked in here about 8pm after a long drive. The check in was fast, and efficient. I stayed in a room on the second floor which was very clean, and really big for being just a basic room. The TV was a newer flat screen and the room had all the amentiies it should have. The girl at the front desk was nice enough and reccommended me to some good restaurants. The room included brekfast and parking which was really good for the rate we paid.

I got to breakfast about an hour before it was supposed to close. There was no fruit left at all.. it was a really minimal breakfast. The dining area was very clean though, and they hade a make your own waffle station which was great.

The only real negative thing about this hotel is the lack of polish. The guy who checked me in was using slang and had his hands in his pockets. The housekeeprs on the floor were cleaning other rooms with the doors open and talking loudly about the state of the room. The check out was very casual - the desk was a mess and boxes all over the place. The ladies who checked us out were dressed too casually to be working at the desk of a hotel like this.

Not quite a five star hotel yet, but definetely has the potential and I would stay here again if I return to Salem.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
scottSalemOr, General Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

tytylighting,

Thank you for your review, please trust that my Front Desk Manager and I will use this as a training opportunity. We strive to be welcoming, but don't want to cross that line where a guest feels "too relaxed". Your assessment has identified several practices that we can refine.
I do hope that when you return to Salem, you will give us an opportunity to improve upon an otherwise great experience.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our room was nice and well-priced (but we were in Salem, Oregon!). Restaurant was not open for Sunday lunch, nor were many surrounding downtown restaurants so we had to drive around for an hour looking for any place to eat on a busy Sunday afternoon.
Hotel billed us for additional charges after we checked out, for which we were not responsible. Had to eventually dispute with credit card company who agreed hotel was in the wrong. Guess having a confirmation in writing doesn't matter to the hotel.
Next time I'm in Salem, I will find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SeattleNanc

Our company relies greatly on having the trust acting in the best interest of our guests, integrity has been paramount to our longevity in business. I have asked SeattleNanc to contact me directly so that I may have an opportunity to look at her circumstance specifically. I'm confident that once that has taken place, our reputation will be redeemed to the point that when they return to Salem, they won't hesitate to choose our hotel.
As a Salem resident myself, I would love that there was enough demand for all of the great downtown restaurants to be open on Sunday's, and when Bentley's first opened they had a phenomenal Sunday Brunch and they would serve until 2pm and reopen for dinner at 4pm, after almost 1 year of less than necessary traffic, they had to discontinue. I do apologize that we couldn't anticipate and help you locate a restaurant that was open for lunch.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband & I stayed here May 24-27th, 2013. From the moment we drove up & entered we were greeted with a gorgeous Reception area and staff. Reception was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and we loved the underground parking. Breakfast in the Marion room was superb. The Bentley Grill was such a good restaurant we never felt the need to even eat elsewhere. The restaurant was cozy & servers were the best! They were attentive & friendly. The atmosphere was great with the nice fireplace area - fantastic bar area and rooms within the restaurant to accommodate larger groups. Everything we had was so good. Best burgers and fries, pizza and even the mac & cheese was good. The drinks were great and so were the desserts! Also available was a small store within the hotel near the front desk Reception area. It actually had quite a few items in it including gifts. Very convenient hotel & definitely will return!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
scottSalemOr, General Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for the great comments, these types of recognitions for our staff are very much appreciated!