“Good short stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kelowna, Canada
“Good short stay”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Checked in here about 8pm after a long drive. The check in was fast, and efficient. I stayed in a room on the second floor which was very clean, and really big for being just a basic room. The TV was a newer flat screen and the room had all the amentiies it should have. The girl at the front desk was nice enough and reccommended me to some good restaurants. The room included brekfast and parking which was really good for the rate we paid.

I got to breakfast about an hour before it was supposed to close. There was no fruit left at all.. it was a really minimal breakfast. The dining area was very clean though, and they hade a make your own waffle station which was great.

The only real negative thing about this hotel is the lack of polish. The guy who checked me in was using slang and had his hands in his pockets. The housekeeprs on the floor were cleaning other rooms with the doors open and talking loudly about the state of the room. The check out was very casual - the desk was a mess and boxes all over the place. The ladies who checked us out were dressed too casually to be working at the desk of a hotel like this.

Not quite a five star hotel yet, but definetely has the potential and I would stay here again if I return to Salem.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
scottSalemOr, General Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
tytylighting,

Thank you for your review, please trust that my Front Desk Manager and I will use this as a training opportunity. We strive to be welcoming, but don't want to cross that line where a guest feels "too relaxed". Your assessment has identified several practices that we can refine.
I do hope that when you return to Salem, you will give us an opportunity to improve upon an otherwise great experience.

Scott Snyder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Polish first
Seattle
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our room was nice and well-priced (but we were in Salem, Oregon!). Restaurant was not open for Sunday lunch, nor were many surrounding downtown restaurants so we had to drive around for an hour looking for any place to eat on a busy Sunday afternoon.
Hotel billed us for additional charges after we checked out, for which we were not responsible. Had to eventually dispute with credit card company who agreed hotel was in the wrong. Guess having a confirmation in writing doesn't matter to the hotel.
Next time I'm in Salem, I will find somewhere else to stay.

2 Thank SeattleNanc
Our company relies greatly on having the trust acting in the best interest of our guests, integrity has been paramount to our longevity in business. I have asked SeattleNanc to contact me directly so that I may have an opportunity to look at her circumstance specifically. I'm confident that once that has taken place, our reputation will be redeemed to the point that when they return to Salem, they won't hesitate to choose our hotel.
As a Salem resident myself, I would love that there was enough demand for all of the great downtown restaurants to be open on Sunday's, and when Bentley's first opened they had a phenomenal Sunday Brunch and they would serve until 2pm and reopen for dinner at 4pm, after almost 1 year of less than necessary traffic, they had to discontinue. I do apologize that we couldn't anticipate and help you locate a restaurant that was open for lunch.

Scott Snyder
WA & HI
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband & I stayed here May 24-27th, 2013. From the moment we drove up & entered we were greeted with a gorgeous Reception area and staff. Reception was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and we loved the underground parking. Breakfast in the Marion room was superb. The Bentley Grill was such a good restaurant we never felt the need to even eat elsewhere. The restaurant was cozy & servers were the best! They were attentive & friendly. The atmosphere was great with the nice fireplace area - fantastic bar area and rooms within the restaurant to accommodate larger groups. Everything we had was so good. Best burgers and fries, pizza and even the mac & cheese was good. The drinks were great and so were the desserts! Also available was a small store within the hotel near the front desk Reception area. It actually had quite a few items in it including gifts. Very convenient hotel & definitely will return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
scottSalemOr, General Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for the great comments, these types of recognitions for our staff are very much appreciated!
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I attended a family reunion at the Grand Hotel. We were pleasantly surprised at our accommodations. The rooms were big and well appointed. The staff was so positive and helpful. We could tell that they really wanted us to feel welcome. The breakfast was well above the morning fare we've had at most hotels. We had a our reunion reception/dinner at the hotel and it was great.
I would recommend this hotel if you have an opportunity to visit Salem, Oregon.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Deluxe King - worth it.
Green Features: There were tips in the room regarding re-using towels & linens (or not).
1 Thank WestCoastie
Westcoastie, We are so pleased that you enjoyed yourselves and that we could leave you with such a positive experience for you reunion, thank you for sharing this with us.
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My family had an excellent stay at The Grand Hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and the rooms were very large, nicely appointed, and quite comfortable. The free breakfast was abundant and delicious.

The hotel restaurant, Bentley's, was outstanding, with incredible food and top tier service. We needed to book a reception on short notice, and the staff at Bentley's surpassed my highest expectations in helping us plan and execute the event.

The hotel is right in the heart of downtown Salem, making walks to the Capital, Willamette University, and local shops quite easy.

We will definitely be staying at The Grand Hotel the next time we return to Salem.

Las Vegas
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Great staff, lovley room and fab location, walked to the shops and the capitol - art gallery and a Starbucks so close they even make gourment coffee for you in the lobby - elegant and fun great place to stay.

Room Tip: I like a room close to the elevator since I have trouble walking and unlike other hotels there was n...
Green Features: Wow talk about environmentaly friendly they have recycling in the rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LasVegasLIzzy
Irvine, California
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I booked this an hour before we got there on a road trip from Seattle to Irvine, CA. The rate they gave me was $20 cheaper than the online price which was great. Had a very spacious double queen room on the fourth floor - beds were ok, but the pillows weren't very nice - I always travel with my own pillow just in case. The bathroom was nice and spacious too, good toiletries.
The buffet breakfast was included in the price, and there was no charge for parking so our stay was very reasonably priced I thought. The best thing about the hotel though, was the restaurant - had a fabulous dinner! We didnt have a booking, but even thought it was Saturday night we got a lovely booth right next to the fire pit. Good service and great food.