“No Better Choice”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Redmond, Washington
“No Better Choice”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

My daughter and I were in Salem to tour Willamette University. Our choice of The Grand Hotel in Salem could not have been better. We were able to walk to nearby downtown shopping and be back to the Hotel for a wonderful dinner in the Hotel restaurant. The next day our walk to the university,was very easy. The The Grand Hotel is lovely, the staff extremely helpful and the rooms very well appointed. As my daughter decided to attend Willamette University, I look forward to many more stays! Thank you!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Polish first
Florence, Oregon
Reviewed April 8, 2011

We enjoyed our stay very much. Staff at the Grand Hotel desk got us off to a great start by letting us check in early. We had Capitol business, so would have appreciated being able to use the parking garage early the day we checked in. When we asked about early parking, we were wonderfully surprised and delighted to be offered an early check-in too. Just great for us!! We had plans for dinner so didn't eat at the in-house restaurant. We did spend time at the bar with the very knowledgeable wine specialist. He steered us to a great brandy (also a grape beverage) we'd never had before. With that brandy we had a fabulous chocolate dessert! In the morning we appreciated the quality offerings. One of us appreciated that the eggs didn't taste like they came out of a box. The other of us enjoyed the waffles. If/When we're back in Salem, we'll want to stay at the Grand Hotel. We have recommended it to friends too.

Room Tip: We slept fine with inner room HVAC noise outside.
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I have stayed several times at the Grand Hotel in Salem, Oregon with the most recent trip March 29,2011. The staff is very courteous and the rooms are so quiet. I love the space and the cleanliness of the room. After a hectic day with the Oregon legislators, it was great to come back to my room and relax.

Having the restaurant in the hotel is so convenient since I do not know my way around downtown Salem. The food was excellent and I thought appropriately priced. The breakfast room has a nice variety to eat healthy.

I would highly recommend the Grand hotel to my colleagues and friends.

Kau
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Stayed 2 nights. Lots of underground parking but had to change elevator once you came into the hotel lobby to get into the room. Hotel check in was quick. Clean establishment. Loved the couch in the room, would have loved a flat screen tv. Beds comfy. Visiting son at Willamette and I didn't think it was that convenient to get to the campus but husband disagrees with me. The breakfast on both mornings were the exact same thing. Could have used variety or at least rotated the menu on the main dish; pork sausage links, scrambled eggs, fruit, scones, bread, juices, coffee, yogurt, bananas, 2 waffle makers which with the population, wasn't enough. Breakfast staff could have refilled the foods that were running low faster. I was disappinted in the selection in comparison to a Holiday Inn Express. For the price of the room/BF, I would probably opt to stay somewhere else in the future.

Room Tip: We had a multi level parking lot view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Redding, California
Reviewed April 4, 2011

The staff and facilities are top notch! Can't wait to go back again. One of the freindliest places we have ever stayed.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We were visiting Willamette University and chose The Grand Hotel based on proximity to campus and online reviews. Our high expectations were exceeded, particularly by the elegant lobby, complimentary breakfast, and superior staff. Although I feel like a curmudgeon to say it, I find it noteworthy to encounter such a uniformly helpful and courteous young staff. The room was spacious, clean, and quiet. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals and cocktails at the restaurant where, again, the staff was exceptional. There were also many convenient dining options nearby. Our son is highly likely to matriculate to Willamette and I look forward to many more stays at the Grand Hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PalE8
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We stayed only one night here while traveling through three states, but I well recall the welcoming and helpful experience with the front desk staff. The next morning, we were so pleased to find attractive, healthy choices for the continental breakfast - not something one can find at other hotels. Three cheers for a sound choice to promote good food and good health!