“Old time food and service”

Macleay Country Inn
Ranked #152 of 577 Restaurants in Salem
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Macleay's is a quaint, old time place. We went on a Saturday night and it was busy. We were seated after about a 15 minute wait at the bar.

As for our meals I got the last prime rib. A blackboard as you enter the restaurant tells you they start serving prime rib at 4 pm and it lasts until they run out. I was informed by our friendly waitress that the last piece was an end cut and on the well done side. I was fine with that and the very large piece was very tasty. I pretty much always polish off all my food in restaurants but here I did end up taking some home. Big!

My wife ordered the 6 oz sirloin and it was cooked just right and very good.

If you're after haute cuisine this is not your place. If you sometimes enjoy a step back in time to a less hurried and sophisticated dining experience, with a home cooking feel, I'd give this place a try. This place can bring you back to your roots. We enjoyed the evening and will go back again when we're in further need of feeling "grounded".

2  Thank OrrgonDuckFan

Reviewed January 17, 2014

You will get excellent bar food here in large amounts. Most everything is fried. My husband likes the weekend prime rib there.

Interesting place way out in the country.