“Has The Ram changed ownership?”

Ram Restaurant & Brewery
Order Online
OR
Order Online
Ranked #24 of 657 Restaurants in Salem
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Has The Ram changed ownership? It has always been one of our favorite places to grab a bite in Salem...their great burgers and best onion rings. That was “yesterday”! Stopped in for a burger a couple months ago and was shocked at the burger received. Not the quality we had received for all these years...and complained. We ended up returning 3/4 of the burger and received in exchange a token pass for one free entree when accompanied by another entree at “equal or greater value”!!!!! I paid for my wife’s meal and left...shocked that the burger was truly THAT bad. In December my wife and I decided to give the Ram another try. My wife just wanted a salad and rather than a burger this time, ordered the fish basket, along with an order of their “to die for” onion rings. The good news is that my wife’s salad was, while not great, at least acceptable. The fish? Had an acceptable flavor but under the golden filet was a “pool” of frying oil. Push the filet with a fork and more would surface on the fish. And the “to die for” rings? Name the fast food restaurant, any fast food, and their rings would be better. I wish I’d have taken a picture of the sorry looking rings as they were presented. I swear they were pre-cooked microwave from Safeway. No...they would have been an improvement. We could not have been more disappointed. So sad after so much enjoyment over the years. Thus my question...is the Ram under new ownership/management???? Sad, sad, sad! It will be s long time before this retired banker returns to The Ram! Am being forced to give a rating so am giving a single star...tho they deserve none!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (157)

Reviewed October 27, 2019

A very congenial place, the Salem outpost of the Ram chain is the spot for all seasons, all comers, all sports on the TVs. Back in Oregon’s capital waiting at the AMTRAK station after another conference, I crossed the five-street intersection to the bar hoping for a decent beer to pass the time. When I got there, I did not expect to find the neighborhood community gasthaus. There were all kinds of people and groups enjoying themselves. Seating myself at the horseshoe bar at the back in front of a large screen, I was very quickly engaged by the local senior grouch, a wonderfully crotchety guy throwing happy barbs in all directions. Obviously the ranking regular, he chatted up the bar help, riposted the construction guys half way across the room, all the while dispensing life wisdom for free. Nearby a wedding party toasted each other and their three generations. A few other families enjoyed early supper. The beer-centric menu features a deep list of cocktails, flights of beer and growlers to go. Most of the brews have adolescent fun with the names around the theme of the ram. “Butt Face” is the signature ale. I enjoyed an “Oktoberfest” brewed by two guys from Clackamas and a $4.00 happy hour quarter pounder. Lighting is subdued, the background music low. You could hear yourself think and converse with everyone around. Surprisingly I saw no one buried in devices. Everyone was enjoying the company of their companions the old-fashioned way. I may be the only one in town who does not know about this place. But for me it was a happy discovery. And…the train was on time!

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed October 21, 2019 via mobile

My grandma was in the hospital and was craving a burger and gator tots. I placed the order to go and the order was read back to me. Got to the hospital and the order was wrong. Called the Ram and the woman was dismissive and told me she would refund me. A week later I called and was told it should be refunded soon. Two months later and no refund. Horrible customer service!

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed September 29, 2019

Came here for dinner mid week. It was a football night so the bar area was pretty crowded but we sat in the front section and it was not full. Everything was slow. It took a very long time before our server even came to our table. Didn't receive water until we had to ask 4 times throughout the meal. Ordered drinks. Placed our food order and waited a very long time. Order was not complete and no one came over to check.....when we were able to tell our server we still didn't get the rest of the order for a very long time meanwhile watching our server standing around like he had nothing else to do. It was our daughter's birthday. Expected the mudslide pie as we have several times on birthdays. Server brought out a minuscule piece of peanut butter pie. Just not the usual experience we have here. Understand it's a bustling place but generally have enjoyed both the service and the food. This time not so much.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 6, 2019 via mobile

As a burger and craft beer type bar, this place works pretty well thought there are some mistakes. My burger was very tasty though the meat was a little overpowered by the blue cheese. My wife’s mac and cheese was also tasty, but far away from the best mac and cheese I’ve made myself or eaten elsewhere.

Beer selection is very god and service excellent.

Date of visit: August 2019