“Best refried beans and salsa in Salem”

Los Baez Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #260 of 535 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Mexican
Salem, Oregon, USA
“Best refried beans and salsa in Salem”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Even though we have had questionable service in the past, we keep coming back because of the food, which is consistently good. The refried beans and salsa are the absolute best in town. Fajita's are very well prepared and the tortilla's are very good. Portions are generous. We had excellent service this visit. They offer their homemade salsa to go, make sure to get some.

Visited December 2013

Salem, Oregon
“an honest evaluation for a change”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I have read every review written about Los Baez. Everyone of the nay sayers would not know real, authentic Mexican food even if they tried every style of Mexican food on the planet.
There are actually several hundred various styles of Mexican food from all the many different regions of Mexico.

Many folks think themselves to be food critics but in reality they don't have a clue what great Mexican food is about or what it should taste like. Most, if not all of the other Mexican restaurants which came in higher in the ratings than Los Baez are places I have been and would never return to and clearly, would never recommend to anyone I cared about.

I have dined on Mexican food in Arizona, Utah, California, Texas, Washington, Mexico,
New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas, Florida, Oregon and I can say with a solid sense of honesty, integrity, experience and knowledge that Los Baez produces the absolute, most authentic and best seasoned and finest tasting Mexican food on the planet!!!

I realize most people have their favorite restaurants for their own personal reasons but to shoot down a high quality and genuine authentic Mexican restaurant based entirely on their having no educated knowledge or experience whatsoever about great Mexican cuisine is totally wrong, very narrow minded and a complete travesty of food justice!!!

Leave being a good food critic to those of us who really know what to look for (and taste for) in the type of food one chooses to critique....in this case, Mexican food!

I have had the great advantage and good fortune to have dined at Los Baez Mexican Restaurant since October 1973, the very month they first opened for business in South Salem, Oregon, that's 40 years!!! I dine here often and I will continue to enjoy their great food until I die of old age. All of their food, including the sauces, gravies, various meat dishes, guacamole and tortillas are homemade, from scratch using only the highest quality spices and ingredients they can find...no canned beans or rice as some have alleged.

I have the honor and distinction of having a very large and wonderful Burrito named after me,
the "Wally Burrito". It has the best of everything great in the kitchen, inside this one of a kind dining delight. You won't leave hungry, I promise. I have never left Los Baez hungry or unsatisfied because they always serve generous portions on every plate they deliver.
In addition, they also bring chips and homemade salsa to your table until your dinner arrives and often times you are too full of great chips and salsa to finish all of the food you requested.

So, now that you have been schooled about great Mexican food. I highly suggest you go to Los Baez Mexican Restaurant as soon as possible, perhaps for the first time or return with a renewed sense of knowledge and appreciation for what will certainly be one of finest dining experiences you will ever enjoy.

And tell them, Wally sent you.....

• Visited November 2013
6 Thank wallyglock
Oregon
“My favorite for almost 40 years”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had lunch here today and it was excellent.I have been coming here since back in the 70's. My girlfriend got a chicken and a cheese enchilada plate and a tostada. I had the #1 combo plate from the dinner menu which includes a beef enchilada, chile relleno, chile colorado, chile verde and a beef taco. All were outstanding. Their gravies are to die for, and the flour tortillas are the best I've ever had. I could make a meal of their flour tortillas and a bowl of their enchilada gravy and be a happy man. The fresh tasting salsa has some kick but is still pretty mild. They have a hotter one if you ask. Our food was delivered in about 5 minutes.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank sparky2222
Stayton, Oregon
“Well past its prime”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had known of Los Baez by reputation over the years, especially from one work colleague who continually raved about the restaurant. I finally got around to trying it when I moved to Salem. I am a lover of good Mexican food, both authentic and the Americanized variety and have been so for years. The quality of Mexican food has good up so much over the years and it is a shame that Los Baez apparently has not kept up with the times. I was really surprised by the scoop of re-fried beans that appear to have been served with an ice cream scoop. Everything was ho-hum and was reminiscent of Mexican food thirty years ago. They should spend some time looking at successful Mexican restaurants in the area and see if they can get some new ideas on how to prepare and present their food.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Schersand
McMinnville, Oregon
“Give me Taco Bell!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Wow. I have never been to a Mexican restaurant with food as bad as this one. So bad in fact that I left a note on the back of our receipt just to let them know how terrible it was. It was our first time there and definitely our last. We ordered the chicken fajitas for two. The chicken was dry and had very little flavor. The meal came with two sides of rice and beans and I`m completely convinced the re-fried beans came from a can. The rice was sticky and just gross. The rice and beans were both served cold. The tortillas were nasty..thick and chewy.The restaurant itself needs some TLC. Broken light fixtures, ripped booth seats and not the cleanest. I also noticed the sticky menus. We paid $33 (with no tip of course) and left feeling cheated and hungry.

• Visited April 2013