“Avoid specials! Stick to regular menu”
Review of Christos Pizzeria

Christos Pizzeria
Ranked #35 of 577 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Recently took friends who'd never eaten at Christo's to the pizzeria/restaurant for dinner. My companions enjoyed sharing an Original Greek pie and a couple of salads. I was going to order the veal Marsala, which I believe was $18.50, but the waiter mentioned just before I ordered that the special on this particular night was a braised veal shank with risotto. He had me at veal shank so I ordered it. It was not a miserable dish, but not a memorable one either. The shank meat, what little there was on the bone, was tough and gristly. The rice, if it was arborio (it did not appear short grain) was tough in some spots, perfect in others? How'd they achieve that? Combining two pots was our only guess. But the offensive part of the evening came with the check. Christo's is not inexpensive. The pizzas average about $20-$22 each, and the entrees average about $19-$20. But the special was billed at $31 and the waiter never saw fit to mention that price when he described the dish. I believe when a special is almost 70 percent higher than the most expensive item on the regular menu, it should be disclosed to diners. Even if it had been perfect, it would not have been worth $31. It should be noted that the staff isn't known for its hustle, and the hard-wood floors keep the din loud, but we always return. We would just avoid the special or at least inquire about its cost in the future.

1  Thank CamCurrie11

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Christos is a great place to get pizza or Italian food. Everything is cooked fresh as you order it. I love Fetuccini Alfredo with chicken and although it is not on the menu............I asked for it and got it. It was some of the best I have eaten. The portions are generous

1  Thank Cleosalem
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Christos provides the perfect balance of a higher end, yet still casual restaurant. Fresh, high quality ingredients. Nothing close to chain restaurant food. Best of all, they take reservations and so my large family was able to walk right in and our table was waiting. Will make this a regular stop.

1  Thank amelia2424
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This restaurant has something for everyone. Great family friendly and casual atmosphere in the restaurant area and surprisingly and lovely little intimate bar area beyond with a cute little cocktail menu and adequate service. Our table of four tried a variety of appetizers and items off the dinner menu. We thoroughly enjoyed the cocktails and apps. The pizza was some of the best we've found here in Salem. The dinner entrees didn't leave a huge impressions but weren't bad either. Definitely worth a shot.

1  Thank A_Henry_299
Reviewed January 3, 2014

A great place to visit before or after a film at The Salem Cinema. Good italian food, good live music, nice staff. You can share a family style bowl of pasta, or get pizza. Cozy environment.

1  Thank jazger

Been to Christos Pizzeria? Share your experiences!