“Good pizza & nice ambience!”
Review of Christos Pizzeria

Christos Pizzeria
Ranked #33 of 543 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This place is a little off the beaten path in Salem (though right across from the Salem Cinema if you want to catch a movie). The interior is really nicely done and the service is good. The European-style pizzas are, of course, excellent. They have live jazz music in their lounge area some evenings. We go here often with our family.

There are newer reviews for Christos Pizzeria

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My work group loves to come here, but I am not impressed. The pizza is good, but I wanted something different today. I tried the meat sauce with penne pasta. We were seated promptly, but it took 30 minutes to get our food. That makes it difficult to fit inside a one hour lunch. In addition, my pasta was lukewarm and the sauce was too sweet for my taste. When were done, we had to chase down our waitress to get to go boxes, which took another 5 minutes or more. I am still not impressed.

2  Thank OSUGrad84
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The wife and I visited here with an out of town friend on Friday May 24, 2013 around 5:30PM. Wasn't too crowded yet and we got seated right away. After looking at the menu we decided on a large pizza and the antipasto appetizer. We gave the order to the waiter, he wrote down our order and left. Didn't ask if we wanted anything else like, oh, drinks? About 15 minutes later when we hadn't received the app, we flagged down another waitress to ask her to find our waiter and see when we might get our app plus the wife wanted to order a drink. When the waiter came back to our table he had no memory of us ordering the antipasto plate! So at that point we told him to skip it as our pizza would be out soon and the wife decided not to order a drink. When the pizza arrived it was tasty and well cooked but the waiter never bothered to come back and see if we were OK or see if we needed/wanted anything more. This guy did not do much in the way of making us want to come back here anytime soon.

1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Most of our previous meals at Christo's have focused on pizza because we really love their Neapolitan-style pies. Well, we were again in Salem this past Friday for doctor appointment and other errands, so we decided to make it a dinner date night. Our usual go-to for a full Italian menu -- Caruso's in Keizer -- had just closed its doors for good a week ago, so we decided it was time to explore other parts of the Christo's menu.
So glad we did -- if anything, their veal dishes are even better than our previous favorites. And the drive is a few miles shorter, to boot.
We finished our errands faster than expected and actually arrived at the restaurant before they opened the doors for dinner at 5. We were famished (very light, early lunch) so we immediately ordered the caprese salad to tide us over while perusing the menu -- and a couple of bright, refreshing drinks. Spouse's tangy Italian Sunrise comprised limoncello, Campari, vodka and a touch of OJ. My Bronx Cocktail featured Bombay Sapphire gin, sweet and dry vermouth, orange bitters and also OJ. Both drinks were very satisfying and perked up our tastebuds. And, we got our vitamin C!
The caprese was a superb rendition: About 10 generous slices each of ripe tomatoes, mozzarella, balsamic vinegar and fresh basil shreds. We had contemplated taking half of it home since the portion was quite ample, but the next thing we knew it was all but gone, so we finished the last couple slices without a second thought.
The non-pizza selections on the menu all looked so tempting, it was hard to decide. The pastas offered a wide range of sauces and shapes, plus lots of chicken and meat options. The ribeye steak at $23 seems a bargain and will be on my radar for our next visit. But this time, veal was on our minds. Her scallopini ($18.50) with a lemony cream sauce served over fettucine was delicious. It was hard to resist offers of "want another bite?" but common sense prevailed -- and Mrs. OJ enjoyed her leftovers for lunch today. My veal marsala (also $18.50) was outrageously good -- a thickly rich sauce loaded with mushrooms enhanced the flavor of the tender veal slices and ranks among the best I've ever had. The sides of squash (again quite good, and I'm not a big squash fan) and roasted potatoes garnished with slivers of fresh parmigiano reggiano were equal to the veal.
The accompanying wine (we took half a bottle home) was a very nice barbera and priced at $29, not much over retail.
Altogether, a most satisfying and enjoyable night out. Service was quick, efficient and friendly. I'm sure we'll be back even more often -- and not just for the pizza!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We enjoyed both Pizza and the antipasta plate and they were both very good. We've lived in this area a long time and this is first time we tried this place, the pizza was great. It was Friday night and they were very busy. We will be back soon, they had the best pizza we have had in Salem.