“yuck”

Gilgamesh Brewing
Ranked #48 of 533 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“yuck”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I wish there was a way to give ZERO stars for this place. I have been a few times in hopes that they would get their act together because I really do enjoy a couple of their beers and have for the last year or so. But after this weekend , I will NEVER go back and I will be telling all my friends not to either which won't be hard since most were with me.

The first time we went was back in April. Myself and a group of 5 wanted to try it out. The menu that I was given had stains all over it and the silverware was spotted with residue. The table was not wiped down at all and the hostess did not seem to care after we mentioned it because we had to ask our server twice to wipe it down. When he came to wipe the table down , the rag was so gross. It was covered in Ketchup and black stains and I watched that night as the buss boy continued to use the same rag on the other tables. I was there for 2 hours! Our server was okay , but we were never told that some of the things on the menu were not available before we wanted to order. When we were told that the menu items were out our server treated us like we were stupid for not knowing.

We ordered the poke and plate of fries for an app. The fries were COLD when they came out and the poke which is a raw Ahi Tuna was about a day away from being bad. It was so nasty. I ordered the Steak and Fries Medium Rare , what a joke it came out almost well. When I sent it back they must of just taken the steak out of whatever package they had it in and placed it on my plate with cold fries once again.The menu called for a red wine reduction and it came out with a cold slab of some herb butter. My friends burger was not cooked to the temperature he asked for. The lettuce looked like the salad they used. My other friends salad was wilted and the dressing had no flavor. After all the complaints we were offered nothing , not a discount off the food , not even an apology. We felt like we were annoying our server. Plus , where was the manager? When we asked to talk to one we were greeted by the bar manager who was so rude. His name was Jerod. He called the cooks in the kitchen a bad name in front of my entire table , rolled his eyes and walked away. I told myself I would not go back until my girlfriend asked me to go and at least have a beer with her.

We went in May and were sitting at one of the high tops in the bar area. I did not want anything to eat and it was late about 9:30. My friend and I both had the mamba which we enjoy. The service was fine however , we got the pleasure of watching what we thought was the Manager of the Restaurant because she very loudly made that known to one of the workers in the Kitchen. She was a blonde lady in a Gilgamesh sweatshirt and when we later asked her name we were told it was Laura. She was obviously drunk and was calling the cook in the kitchen a little Bi**ch. She was also approached by a few of the servers , when they walked away she began to say how stupid they were to the bartender. The place had quite a few people in it still and the table next to us was just as surprised to hear her as well. On top of this happening the noise coming from the Kitchen was quite amusing. The stereo was so loud with all the rap music along with the cussing from the kitchen staff. We left soon after.

The final straw was this Friday night. A married couple that are friends of ours said that they have been a few times and said that they have had a great time and that they had changed their menu. We reluctantly came along. We were seated outside. The patio was nice but our glass table looked as if it had not been wiped down , must have been the same towel from months ago. We were sat promptly at about 7pm. Then we sat for almost twenty mins , we waited and watched several servers walk by us. Finally my boyfriend got up went inside and asked the same bar manager from before why we had not been served yet. When my boyfriend returned about 5 mins later our server came to our table and said , Oh I didn’t see you folks! You must be joking right? Already frustrated with my previous experiences I asked if they had any specials. Our server then said I will have to check and see. She told what they did not have this around! No Sausage Corn dogs , and some other sausage dish. No Pork belly as well. We went to order our beer and she stopped us and said let me go check on the specials for you and turned and walked away!

About 10 mins later she came back to our table , told us the special. None of us were that interested in it. We ordered our beer and their fried mushrooms. We all asked for a glass of water as well. About 20 more mins went by , no water , no beer and our mushrooms had arrived. Never in my life have I been to a restaurant that my appetizers came out before anything to drink. We asked for silverware and extra napkins those came within a couple mins. Our beer finally showed up when we were almost done with our mushrooms. We had to stop a buss boy and ask him for a glass of water. Also my friend wanted a drink that was not beer and asked to see a drink menu. She was handed a typed up paper that was stained and stapled together! This is just bad form.

When we went to order dinner , I ordered the Cuban Sandwich with a cup of soup. The soup was supposed to be an asparagus with mushroom. My boyfriend ordered the ribeye. Our friends ordered the fish tacos and the Gilga Burger. I don’t even know where to start with this. The soup I got was some chicken soup with yams in it! The ribeye came with a huge stack of fries when the menu called for au gratin potatoes with seasonal veggies. The steak was rough and fatty and not cooked the way he asked for. When we asked for the sides that the menu listed our server said the steak has not come with those sides for months and he could have either a salad or fries! Why was this not told to us! He just laughed and said looks like I am having fries since its already there. The burger was supposed to come on a different bun then the english muffin , it didn't. The fish tacos had cabbage on them when it was asked not to and the tortillas where hard and cold. We suffered thru this dinner. Mu cuban sandwich was the only thing that all of us agreed upon being somewhat decent.

We ordered another round of beers that took another 15 mins to get to us. Our server asked us for dessert. We passed but asked to talk to a manager. I wanted to see if we could actually talk to SOMEONE about the service. Our server said yeah if she was ever there. I was amazed and asked for a business card.

It really is such a bummer to have another place in Salem be a complete let down. We want to support Salem and our local small businesses. In the times I have come down to spend my time and money I felt ripped off. They should just stick to brewing beer or get a management team in there that ACTUALLY cares about the restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank BeckyWallace715

“Happy Hour Happiness!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Gilgamesh has a hefeweizen that makes me happy, makes me smile and quenches my thirst. DJ Jazzy Heff. They brew this wonder with jasmine tea--just a hint of jasmine. (healthy right?) American style brewing and served cold.
I also like their double-hopped IPA, Stunt Double---very good, finishes nicely on the palate. Happy Hour pricing is really nice and is 7 days a week.

• Visited June 2013
“Brew pub and grub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed this brew pub and restaurant. It has a typical food menu with burgers, sandwiches, and entrees. They also brew their own beer and have a dozen different beers on tap. We tried the sampler and were brought about 4 oz. of each of the beers that they make. They ranged to fruity sweet to dark bitter. All were very tasty. We were there on a Tuesday night and they had a trivia game going on with a prize awarded to the winner. It was fun. It's a place you can take the whole family and have a good meal and a fun time.!

• Visited May 2013
“Drinks and Music?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I showed up to Gilgamesh to meet up with a group of friends. This is not my typical spot. Simply because I am not one who fancies craft beer.
The wine list was unimpressive, but I found a decent Pinot. Others from my table had ordered the beer sampler, and seemed to be impressed. However, I was focused on the horrendous band playing.
As someone who has booked music for venue's in the past, and understand the importance of a good PA and band is for business. I was shocked. The PA was a joke and the sound was absolutely horrid. The band/ 3pc.. MIGHT have been ok.. if the sound was not so bad. But in general the bad was not great at all.
The music did not make me want to stay longer, nor drink more. Which really, is the whole point of a band. In fact it made me want to run. I do understand that there are plenty of self inflated ego's for bands in the area. Meaning to get music you are going to have to spend a pretty penny. Hence why I am guessing this little band was there. They were either free or insanely cheap. Anyway -
I was delighted to have an electronic receipt, but I would suggest that was the extent of it. The over all ambiance was nice, the seating was fine, and so was the lighting. But, there was not much else to be desired.

• Visited April 2013
Walla Walla, Washington
“Check out the Happy Hour!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Came here for Happy Hour and scored one of the last outside tables. The service was great. So great that we actually had 2 servers checking on us. I had the HH Caesar salad and it was a good size. I also had a beer and that was only $7.00 total. I had just come from another Salem restaurant and paid $6.99 for 1 beer so this was much better.

My only complaint was all the dogs! Ugh, why?! Why when I sit outside at a restaurant do I either have to deal with dogs or smokers?

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank plaidbagel

Been to Gilgamesh Brewing? Share your experiences!