“Ghost Shuttle Tour”
Review of Spirit Expeditions Tours - CLOSED

Spirit Expeditions Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Spirit Expeditions provides amazingly spooky walking tours of the Downtown Salem area that takes you by the most haunted locations in town. Use all the same ghost hunting equipment that you see on the tv shows! Our tours start at Twinsies Coffee at 150 High St. in downtown Salem where the basement used to be a one time tunnel access point! We give a free ghost hunting class before we embark on the creepiest adventure in Salem! Spirit Expeditions also offers walking tours of Silverton, Albany, Corvallis and Independence, does birthday parties, weddings, private events and spooky shuttle tours!
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My sister and I went on the Ghost Shuttle Tour in Salem last Saturday night. We decided to go just because it was something different to do. We were not disappointed at all, we had a blast! It was great entertainment, affordable and extremely informational. It doesn't matter if your a believer or not it was just plain FUN. Dwayne, Denise and Cody were great hosts. I would highly recommend the tour to everyone. Thank you for a wonderful trip.

2  Thank Arlene W

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Informative and entertaining, We were with a large crowd but that didn't impede the fascinating history lessons and the equally fascinating ghost hunting. It makes for a very fun evening, I would highly recommend it!

1  Thank Angim010
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was not sure what to expect since this was a birthday present from my wife. But I was blown away by this experience. Being a teacher, I am naturally interested in history. I have lived in Salem for 30 years and cannot believe what i did not know about our city. The two hours plus hours went by so fast. We had some fun experiences and learned a lot. I highly recommend taking this tour. Dawane and his wife are a lot of fun and great tour guides. Thanks to both of you.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have lived in Salem a little over two years so were excited to learn about haunted Salem and Salem's underground. We weren't disappointed last Saturday night when Cody led us around downtown Salem and shared a lot of the unknown history of our capitol city. He's only 16 years old but he is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. As we walked from one site to another he engaged individual members of the group as did the other guide (Alyssa?) to ensure everyone was enjoying themselves and they took the opportunity to respond to any questions participants might have. We thought Cody did a remarkable job for a young man his age and Alyssa was there to supplement anything he might have overlooked. We enjoyed the historical aspects of the tour more than the ghost hunting part when we attempted to communicate with any spirits that might be lurking in the vicinity, but the owners of Spirit Expeditions strive to give a well-rounded tour that appeals to everyone. Well done!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you're thinking about taking one of these tours (and I'd advise against it), then call to make sure you're scheduled to go with a trained guide.

The night we attended, the owner had so many people signed up that he pawned half of us off on his teenage son and the son's apparent girlfriend. As the teenager-cum-tour guide led led us to a couple of downtown buildings, he stumbled through a few facts about the area architecture, but there were really no ghost stories, and not much actual information about Salem.

When the teen did stop to point out architecture facts, he often got confused and muddled. "That building was constructed ... oh, actually, I forget when." "That's a masonic thing. My dad knows about that, but I don't."

Occasionally, he was just totally factually wrong. "180,000 Chinese people lived in Salem in the 1800s. It is said that many of them are maybe buried in downtown." "I've been to the grave of Jack the Ripper in Rochester, NY." (Nobody knows who Jack-the-Ripper was.)

Occasionally, the teen would check in with his girlfriend. "I forget what else. [Girl's name], have I missed anything?" Meanwhile, the apparent girlfriend slurped a starbucks frappucino. Occasionally, the apparent girlfriend would pipe up. When she did speak, she was more interesting than the teen -- telling a few Non-Salem anecdotes about Abraham Lincoln.

At the end of the evening, we met up with the other tour group, which was guided by the proprietor and his wife. This couple (an actor and a spiritual medium) were actually pretty entertaining -- giving a few colorful ghost stories about actual Salem events.

Spending time with this trained couple just showed us how much we were missing by going with the teenager and starbucks slurping girlfriend. So, unless you want to spend 90 minutes following muddled and half-forgotten stories, call ahead to MAKE SURE you are actually going with the adults.

5  Thank NorthwestNewbie
DawaneH, Owner at Spirit Expeditions Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

You are right. We should not have allowed that to happen. Unfortunately, you are incorrect on a couple of facts. I would never allow my son's girlfriend to try to help on a tour. Alicia is a trained tour guide. Also, research this name..Francis Tumblety.. He was said by many to have been Jack the Ripper and is buried in Rochester, NY. We have, in fact, visited the grave. Although I wasn't there for your tour, I'm sure he did stumble on his words and probably was very nervous. For that, I apologize. If that was what caused you to not have a good time, then that was my fault. I have no idea why he would have said that there were 180,000 Chinese in Salem, that was most likely a brain freeze. Either way, it is important to us that EVERYONE is happy. I have sent you a private message offering a private tour given by my wife and myself. I hope you take advantage of that. Every business has hiccups, it is whether you learn from your mistakes that decides if you will ever have a successful business that everyone loves. Thank you so much for the feedback and I hope to hear from you soon!
Dawane