“Muy Bueno! Don't pass this up.”
Review of La Margarita Co

La Margarita Co
Ranked #36 of 568 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

My coworker had dined here and recommended a visit. The salsa and chips were brought immediately and were fresh and spicy. I tried one of the unique items (there are several on the menu) and had the carnitas between fried plantains. It was delicious. Nothing special about the beans or rice but the food was fast, fresh and cheap. Two entrees two margaritas and dessert - only $43. Free refills on salsa. The drinks were fairly strong and they have several quality tequilas to pick from.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

The service and food were quick to come out and was vey tasty! This is one of my favorite Mexican places in town. The salsa is a bit hot and tasteless for me but my entree was very yummy!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

My brother in law and his wife ate here a few days before we arrived to join them for area wine tasting. They really liked it. We all went on a Monday. My wife had a chicken burrito that she really liked. I had fish tacos that were average. The rice was unexciting but the beans were pretty good. Brother in law ordered what he had liked the first visit, carne asada, and said it was not as good. We shared pitchers of margaritas that were good but not exceptional. The chips and very spicy salsa were good and plentiful. We will probably try another place next time. As for the service, our waiter was friendly and efficient.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were looking for Mexican food. The decor was not impressive. When my grilled shrimp arrived with the mango pico de gallo was fantastic. My husband loved his fajitas which had mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes grilled in with the beef. He said it was excellent!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I chose to eat here after seeing it recommended on the website for the city of Salem. I usually ignore those types of things and use tripadvisor or some other rating system, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

It is downtown and I came just after 6PM so I could park for free. I think if I had a lot of trouble finding parking I may have given up and gone elsewhere. I went into the restaurant and it doesn't look like your typical restaurant. I believe it was converted from something else. There was no flow and it looked like it needed some TLC. The restrooms are out the back, so not even in the restaurant, and then to get back in you have to go around. Very annoying.

I was given water almost right away, but I had to wait quite a while for my soda I ordered. The chips and salsa are very good. The salsa has a bit of a lingering spice, but it tastes so good I ignored my burning tongue.

I ordered the chimichanga. While I waited I saw lots of other people come in. Some the owner must have known because he went over and chatted and the staff was extra attentive.

Usually when I dine solo I receive 2 types of service. The pity service, where the staff is extra nice because I am dinning alone, and they go out of their way making sure my drink if full and I have everything, or I get the disregard service, where I am almost ignored completely because I am alone I must not tip well, or I am to much work to serve only 1 guest. Of course you will not get a 20% tip if you are ignoring me!

This time I was getting the "disregard" service. I watched others get food and drink very quickly, even tables right next to mine. I was always an afterthought. Just completely disregarded.

I got my chimi. It was really good. A chimi is a deep fried burrito. Sometimes they are crispy and dripping with the frying oil. This one was not. It was perfectly fried to get the crispiness without the dripping oil. No gut bomb eating this! They gave a good portion of guacamole and sour cream with it. The rice was not that tasty, very bland. I did not want beans so no review on that.

I had to wait a significant amount of time each time my soda needed to be refilled. A lady only refilling water came by and refilled that. I would see my server at the tables right next to mine. I'd see her look at my table, but continue not to bring a refill. I am not the type that waves a person over. I think it is rude. I just sat and waited. I used to be a server, even when a homeless person would come in with just enough money for a meal and no tip, I still served them like they were going to tip me. When you are making $2.35 and hour that is mighty hard to do. I am not homeless, I was dressed decently, I am young, but I guess because I am solo I will be a bad tipper. I guess I wouldn't be changing this girl's mind during this trip.

Overall the food was a 5. I am so disappointed with the service I really can't give it more than a 3. HOWEVER, if I went through Salem again I would eat here, but only if I was dining with others.

Been to La Margarita Co? Share your experiences!