“Good food, slow service.”
Review of La Margarita Co

La Margarita Co
Ranked #28 of 543 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I chose to eat here after seeing it recommended on the website for the city of Salem. I usually ignore those types of things and use tripadvisor or some other rating system, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

It is downtown and I came just after 6PM so I could park for free. I think if I had a lot of trouble finding parking I may have given up and gone elsewhere. I went into the restaurant and it doesn't look like your typical restaurant. I believe it was converted from something else. There was no flow and it looked like it needed some TLC. The restrooms are out the back, so not even in the restaurant, and then to get back in you have to go around. Very annoying.

I was given water almost right away, but I had to wait quite a while for my soda I ordered. The chips and salsa are very good. The salsa has a bit of a lingering spice, but it tastes so good I ignored my burning tongue.

I ordered the chimichanga. While I waited I saw lots of other people come in. Some the owner must have known because he went over and chatted and the staff was extra attentive.

Usually when I dine solo I receive 2 types of service. The pity service, where the staff is extra nice because I am dinning alone, and they go out of their way making sure my drink if full and I have everything, or I get the disregard service, where I am almost ignored completely because I am alone I must not tip well, or I am to much work to serve only 1 guest. Of course you will not get a 20% tip if you are ignoring me!

This time I was getting the "disregard" service. I watched others get food and drink very quickly, even tables right next to mine. I was always an afterthought. Just completely disregarded.

I got my chimi. It was really good. A chimi is a deep fried burrito. Sometimes they are crispy and dripping with the frying oil. This one was not. It was perfectly fried to get the crispiness without the dripping oil. No gut bomb eating this! They gave a good portion of guacamole and sour cream with it. The rice was not that tasty, very bland. I did not want beans so no review on that.

I had to wait a significant amount of time each time my soda needed to be refilled. A lady only refilling water came by and refilled that. I would see my server at the tables right next to mine. I'd see her look at my table, but continue not to bring a refill. I am not the type that waves a person over. I think it is rude. I just sat and waited. I used to be a server, even when a homeless person would come in with just enough money for a meal and no tip, I still served them like they were going to tip me. When you are making $2.35 and hour that is mighty hard to do. I am not homeless, I was dressed decently, I am young, but I guess because I am solo I will be a bad tipper. I guess I wouldn't be changing this girl's mind during this trip.

Overall the food was a 5. I am so disappointed with the service I really can't give it more than a 3. HOWEVER, if I went through Salem again I would eat here, but only if I was dining with others.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were refereed to this restaurant by the staff of the Hotel we were staying at. So we had no Idea what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised with the food. Most of the meats here are cooked over a Mesquite Grill including the chicken that was in my enchiladas! Wonderful Salsa and of course the name sake Margaritas were fantastic! This was some of the best Mexican food I've had in a long time. I've been very disappointed in most Mexican restaurants as they Americanize their food to suit the taste of the masses. Not this place! Everything was authentic and amazing!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Got there at 8:30 p.m., 30 minutes before closing. Treated us like royalty. Very good menu and all our selections were excellent. Salsa with the chips was excellent, but be sure to order some cheese dip. Wow. I had taco fajita salad and it was outstanding. Others in group were really impressed with their selections. We'd go back without thinking twice.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

My office as well as my husband and I eat here frequently. We love their food and think it's most likely the best Mexican food in town, however don't expect great service since it's hit or miss if you'll get it. Try their Tortilla soup and Enchilada's Suiza with black beans and rice - both excellent.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Best Mexican food I have had in Oregon. I'm from Texas and it's hard to please me when it comes to Mexican food. La Margarita is authentic and not Tex Mex. Mesquite flavors, excellent sauces and a salsa with a nice "kick" to it. I love spicy salsa! The staff was friendly and the food was excellent. I didn't have an alcoholic drink but I was in a group of 12 and many of them did and they all raved about the margaritas, the cadillac, etc. I had the Enchilada Suiza and I also tried the Enchilada Mexicana. WOW--they were both so god. Different sauces on them but both were delicious! My friend and I each ordered one of the dishes and then gave each other one of our enchiladas so we could taste the others. :) Prices were great! I wish we had this place in Bend, Oregon.

Been to La Margarita Co? Share your experiences!