“A shinning star of Salem.”

Salem's Riverfront Carousel
Ranked #1 of 85 things to do in Salem
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Salem is blessed with a riverfront with many walking paths and it will only get bigger as time goes by. Soon a bridge to Minto Brown Island will be built to expand the paths even more. In the middle of all this is the Carousel where you and your children will have a fabulous time relaxing and enjoying the ride on all the handcrafted horses. My wife and I really love bringing our grandchildren here and enjoy a picnic while watching boats go by and just people watch. Riverfront park with the Carousel is a hidden gem of Salem!

2  Thank parlaydean

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is a great place for a quick stop or picnic as it is
on the waterfront with beautiful lawns. The carousel is
an antique restoration and just gorgeous! I like come here often
for a quick escape from the hectic world and just get lost in the merry-go-round for a little while. Very therapeutic!

2  Thank 60DayTour
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is an old fashioned hand carved Carousel. Local artist got together to carve all the horses and décor on the Carousel. It is beautiful. The Carousel is housed indoors so it can be accessed year round.

1  Thank Cleosalem
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I am in my late 40's and I absolutely adore, going on carousels. I feel SO fortunate that the Riverfront Carousel, is located in Salem, Oregon. Going on a carousel ride, has always been "magical" for me. I will usually pick the most beautiful, or feminine looking horse, to ride. I find it fun, listening to the old fashioned music, play in the background, as I ride the carousel, and wave to people. Each horse on the Salem Riverfront carousel, is made with fine craftsmanship. It is clear to see, that a lot of skill and talent was put into making each horse. I highly recommend people go on this carousel. You do not need to be young to ride a carousel, you just need to be, "young at heart".

1  Thank Estelle F
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This beautiful carousel is a labor of love for the Salem Community. Thousands of volunteer hours were spent carving and painting the original horses and new "critters" are still being added. The colors and the detail are wonderful, a real feast for the eyes. Kids of all ages are attracted to the carousel. My 80-something mother-in-law loved it, too, and was able to ride in the little covered wagon. Rides are $1.50 but you can purchase more at a discount. The staff is very kid oriented and friendly. There are many special events throughout the year, as well. The gift shop is wonderful and I do much of my Christmas shopping for the little ones there. Being on the same property as the Gilbert House Children's Museum as well as a well-designed playground makes this a great family destination.

1  Thank EllieDawn