“Great for all ages”

Salem's Riverfront Carousel
Ranked #1 of 83 things to do in Salem
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is an old fashioned hand carved Carousel. Local artist got together to carve all the horses and décor on the Carousel. It is beautiful. The Carousel is housed indoors so it can be accessed year round.

1  Thank Cleosalem

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I am in my late 40's and I absolutely adore, going on carousels. I feel SO fortunate that the Riverfront Carousel, is located in Salem, Oregon. Going on a carousel ride, has always been "magical" for me. I will usually pick the most beautiful, or feminine looking horse, to ride. I find it fun, listening to the old fashioned music, play in the background, as I ride the carousel, and wave to people. Each horse on the Salem Riverfront carousel, is made with fine craftsmanship. It is clear to see, that a lot of skill and talent was put into making each horse. I highly recommend people go on this carousel. You do not need to be young to ride a carousel, you just need to be, "young at heart".

1  Thank Estelle F
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This beautiful carousel is a labor of love for the Salem Community. Thousands of volunteer hours were spent carving and painting the original horses and new "critters" are still being added. The colors and the detail are wonderful, a real feast for the eyes. Kids of all ages are attracted to the carousel. My 80-something mother-in-law loved it, too, and was able to ride in the little covered wagon. Rides are $1.50 but you can purchase more at a discount. The staff is very kid oriented and friendly. There are many special events throughout the year, as well. The gift shop is wonderful and I do much of my Christmas shopping for the little ones there. Being on the same property as the Gilbert House Children's Museum as well as a well-designed playground makes this a great family destination.

1  Thank EllieDawn
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The Riverfront Carousel has been a Salem treasure for years. I used to take my students to visit the horse carving shop each year as part of one of our trips downtown. It was always a joy to see the carousel animals come alive. Finally, they were given a home and placed into service and they have never been a disappointment. We go to the carousel about once every 2 weeks. Our 2 year old grandson knows the route, where to turn, and asks to go all the time. He thinks 3 or 4 rides on the carousel, a sucker, and playing at the Riverfront Park are a package deal. For parents it is a fairly inexpensive bit of joy. They expect you to stand by your younger children so the adult gets the enjoyment for free. Well, I don't I have them punch my card for me as well as the baby so I can ride a horse and my husband stands next to the baby. I highly recommend the Riverfront Carousel and park to anyone who wants to spend an hour having simple fun.

2  Thank GrannyTeach
Reviewed April 16, 2014

All the carousel horses and other figures were made by wood carvers right in Salem. Hundreds of community volunteers sanded, painted and raised the money for the carousel. We love it! You don't need a child to ride the carousel, but it's more fun with one.

2  Thank Kemmie67