“Big band sound in an older setting.”
Review of Elsinore Theatre

Elsinore Theatre
Ranked #13 of 90 things to do in Salem
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I attended a performance by the Glenn Miller Orchestra Tuesday night October 16th at the historic Elsinore Theater in Salem Oregon. It was a great show. Led by Nick Hilscher, the band sounded fantastic. I’m in my forties so I grew up listening to disco and 80’s music but having seen the Glenn Miller Story as a child I have always been a huge fan especially “Little Brown Jug” and the emotions behind that song, whether that part of the story is true or not doesn’t matter anymore. If you get a chance they were well worth the price.
The theater itself is beautiful and it also brought back some of my “Star Wars” memories. Waiting in line around the corner, then to find out Darth Vader was Luke’s father…AWESOME! The sound was excellent although at times when Nick was trying to speak while the band played he was hard to hear. I had forgotten about the sloped side walkways until I needed to use the facilities at intermission. The lobby was a nice place to have a drink and people watch. The only problem I saw was that the seats may be the same ones I sat on it the 70’s and 80’s. That was a minor issue though.

All reviews
"plasterwork"
"glory"
"taproom"

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Elsinore has adequately comfortable seats, good acoustics, and always friendly volunteer for their many productions. With the dedicated efforts of the community, the Elsinore shines with refurbished and brightened painted Shakespeare murals in the lobby, updated restroom facilities. A real highlight is the mighty organ, which is played along with periodically shown silent movies . Takes one back to those bygone days!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I recently attended a comedy show here. If you like old funky archetecture and huge murals you need to visit here. I like checking out the top balcony. Several eateries are close by. Free parking down town can be a little challenging. Volunteers do their part to help make your experience enjoyable. Let the volunteers know you are there to see the theater itself, they might look at you like you are crazy .. but, they might not be so quick to usher you to your seats.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is a small jewel. I've always loved just walking into thtis building. The entertainment is great here, but for me it's all about the place itself.

1  Thank Alan and Sherry B