“A largely untapped resource.......”

Salem Public Library
Ranked #8 of 87 things to do in Salem
Reviewed February 2, 2012

and it's free! (Or I should say your tax dollars are paying for it anyway, so why not use it?)

I read......a lot! I was spending a couple grand a year on books before I wised up. I find hardbacks easier to read and they just seem more substantial to me than paperbacks. There are tens of thousand, if not hundreds of thousands from which to choose here.

Sometimes current best sellers will have requests backed up for them, but I don't think I've ever had to wait more than a month for any one of them. If you request a title on-line, they put it on a hold shelf and e-mail you that it’s available.

The library staff is very helpful and knowledgeable, with one notable, marginally competent exception. (Once you figure out who she is, it’s easy to avoid her.)

Salem Library is a treasure and is saving me some serious money and providing hours of enjoyment each week.

Check it out! (I love a good pun. Don’t you?)

1  Thank ChuckBradley
in 9 reviews
"kindle"
"topic"

Reviewed January 2, 2012

This is a library on a pretty large system, I always find what I'm looking for and even things I'm not looking for. Plus they have free wi-fi if you happen to be traveling and need it.

2  Thank AndreaRae13
Reviewed December 3, 2011

The main Salem Public Library is a large, relatively new, and well staffed facility. Staff is very helpful. There is a large audiovisual center, an adequate number of computers, a well equipped auditorium, and a parking garage right next door. The library also is now equipped to loan books to cardholders' e-book readers such as Kindle and Nook.

1  Thank LouBobHarborSprings
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We check out a lot of books from this library. They have an extensive collection, but they are also part of a regional library agreement that gives patrons access to titles throughout the region.

You can use computers, read almost any magazine and many newspapers. You can take classes. The concert hall is used often for lectures and music programs, for very reasonable admission fees.

Salem has struggled to maintain the quality of the library through several rounds of budget cuts, but the staff make the difference her. They are knowledgeable and helpful. They also run programs for children and families.

I love my library.