"Thanks for staying at the Hampton. We know you have choices and we appreciate your business."
That is how the desk manager at the Hampton Inn & Suites - Salem concluded our very friendly, very efficient check in for two couples this week. How often do you hear THAT at a chain hotel?
Which leads me to the first thing to like about this Hampton Inn & Suites. Service was top notch, from check in to check out and every encounter along the way.
All is not perfect here, but in sum there is more to like than not. Pros and Cons follow. Happily, the pros are a longer list. Because of the friendly and efficent service, this will be our first choice for lodging the next time we're in Salem.
1. Warm and friendly service. I know I said that. It bears saying again.
2. Convenient location, minutes to downtown Salem and also a short hop to local wineries and farms.
3. NEW facility, only 60 days old this week, means little wear and tear on rooms and public spaces.
3. Quiet at night if you get the right room.
4. Comfy beds, pillows and furniture.
5. Bathrooms (at least ours) were spacious with grab bar in shower which we appreciate for safety.
6. Free wifi.
7. Nice salt water pool.
8 Spacious exercise room with six pieces of cardio equipment and free weights.
9. Large and bright gathering / breakfast room with standard height tables (hooray!) in addition to high perch seating.
10. Better breakfast than most in the class.
11. Accessibility from parking through door and all public spaces was very good.
12. Ample parking in large, well lit lot.
1. It appears corners were cut on the quality of the construction materials. As example, carpet in our room was fraying at the seams in spite of this being less than 2 months old.
2. Bathtub had stains on the bottom (and other rooms do too) that was apparently the result of a construction error. The people traveling with us reported the handle nearly falling off their shower. Shower heads were not good quality.
3. Refrigerators are currently not offered as standard amenity in rooms, only in suites. However, fridges are available at no charge on request as supply allows. We requested one after check in and it was delivered within minutes (more of that great service.) The manager told us that they had received customer feedback that it is important to have refrigerators in rooms and they are in the process of purchasing them to have in all rooms eventually. In the meantime, good to know in advance that this is not yet a standard amenity if you need one.
1. Some rooms are quite spacious (our King room 417 was one of those examples.) Other rooms, as in the double queen 416 our companions had, are very narrow. Recommendation, choose wisely from the room floor plan when you check in to be sure you don't end up in one of the narrow rooms. Also, if the width of the double queen is standard for that room class, consider upgrading to a double queen suite for more space.
2. Rooms on back side (odd numbers) face a vacant field and seem quieter than on front (even numbers) that face parking lot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Hampton Inn & Suites Salem, set just minutes from downtown Salem, the state capital of Oregon. Take the family for some thrills at Oregon State Fairgrounds, discover the state’s natural beauty at Silver Falls State Park and explore Oregon’s various wineries and restaurants during your stay. The hotel is also located near many local colleges and universities, including Willamette University, Corban University and Western Oregon University. This Salem hotel is great for visiting students and families, and packed full of amenities to make your stay as comfortable as possible. It is also convenient to many nearby businesses, including T-Mobile and Sanyo.Check in to this hotel in Salem, Oregon to enjoy a range of amenities and services to make each guest feel at home. Swim laps in the hotel’s swimming pool and maintain your fitness routine on the road in the fitness center with a range of cardiovascular machines. Start each day with Hampton’s free hot breakfast, or simply grab a free Hampton On the Run® Breakfast Bag to take away with you Monday through Friday. Our hotel in Salem, OR offers a light dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Stay on top of work in the business center equipped with fax, photocopying and printer access. Host your meetings in the hotel’s 851 sq. ft. meeting room which accommodates up to 96 guests in a range of seating styles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Salem reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Salem Oregon