“I don't like negitive.. But This place is a DUMP” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Salem
seattle
“I don't like negitive.. But This place is a DUMP”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

I felt like I was in a movie where they over do things to make it look bad. This Place is Dump from the front desk to the rooms. You know you are in trouble when the have several signs posted saying NO Refunds and telling you to look at room first Hand written signs.

Ok here are the facts:

Parking lot has locals loitering in and around the cars,
The front desk has a huge piece of plywood unpainted just pushed up as one side of the desk.
The Desk is cluttered and the guy is watching TV which is sitting between you and him, He has to move his head so he can see you. Classy I know. THE TV is sitting on the Counter it's the first thing you see the back of the TV.

The Lobby is Huge Not sure why. Floors are dirty, trash not picked up just there on the lobby floor. Old food containers like cups throughout the Lobby. TV show must have been good because cleaning the lobby was a lower priority. I wanted to cancel Could not because I booked from their site and cancel policy needs to be 24 hours.

I Painfully give the TV watching Front Desk Clerk my Credit Card. No conversations just takes my card has me sign gives me room card. Says My room Number out loud for the rest in the Lobby to hear. BTW I'm so concerned now we are watching our credit card account daily because this place is so Sketch I'm concerned about it's security.

Got Really Lucky and parked my car in plain view of the Lobby with the wild assumption I'd get some safety from mister TV watcher. I know I know but somehow I felt like an edge over the others parked in the dark areas... Most of the parking lot.

My wife is such a trooper. She says ok we can handle it it's just one night.

Ok on the way to the room the hallways have an unusual amount of people hanging out in the hallway. Not sure if they were guests or not. CREEEPY. There is ZERO security at this place.

The door to the room fits sloppy giving you the feeling anyone could open or jiggle a door open. The inside lock is a crappy little chain. Yes you can turn the door nob lock . But that chain is such a feeling of security. No sign of that little flip device in every Hotel that helps secure the door.

Ok now we are in the room. Put Bags on bed. READ THIS. On the Picture Frame which is essentially the head board is two wads on chewed gum. It actually catches your eye. So the maid changing the bedding had to see it. it looks pretty old. I'm thinking others have left it like I did.. sorta as a warning sign to the next guest. We sleep on top of the bedding in our clothes because its so poorly run we just don't trust anything.

The Bathroom faucet barely lets water flow it sorta squirts in a high speed stream about the size of a pencil. or less. Splashes every where. I think the faucet screen is blocked and needs replaced that why it is such a small flow.

I live in he Northwest all of my life. I have never seen a cockroach before in Wa/Ore However this room comes complete with them YIPPIE.

This place is a DUMP. I will never stay here ever again. NOT Clean, NOT Safe, this place has ZERO sense of pride of ownership.

Hey Owner get off your but grab a trash bag and a broom walk the halls from time to time, GET that TV off the counter.

Hey Owner of this place Stay a few nights there your self. Better yet Invite your mom to stay there and then see what she says.

This place lacks any Pride. The ownership is plain LAZY.

This is part of a national chain. Why isn't the Chain management checking on this.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank venture_junkie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Wish I could give a Negative number, I did not even stay!
Drive way presented with a drug deal in the back corner and people peeking thru the drapes. It was hard to find the office entrance as the sign that was lit up was not at the actual office. When I entered the office it smelled like cigarettes and was not decorated at all. The gentleman at the desk didn't have my confirmation number and asked if I knew how much I was being charged. That was when I let him know that I would not be staying and left.
Never again will I consider "Americas Best"

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank YourDietitian

Travelers are raving about these Salem hotels

North Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in June for the national BMW riders rally. The good news - it's close to the freeway and the state fair grounds (where the rally was held). The bad news - it's close to the freeway.
Other experiences mirrored the other reviews. I had to move rooms because of the smoking smell - thank God I got there early enough they had other rooms.
Next time I'll stay somewhere else - even if it's more money!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Dave L
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

The manager is oh so rude to you if she thinks you aren't rich, lol, she's a manager and working the front desk of one of Salems crustiest motels. The wifi only works near the stair wells or lobby. The toilet plungers are hard to come by because of so many toilet problems. We had two room changes because of this. No breakfast, no ice, no vending machines, no screens on the windows, no working air conditioner, no blow driers, no ironing board or iron, no coffee maker in the room, but they do have cockroaches. It seems as if the owner wants to make money by selling rooms and doesn't want to put any money back into the hotel. All night long you could hear people coming and going. The police showed up on one night. We just wanted to go to the fair the last week of it and hotel rooms were scarce. I would not stay here again when visiting Salem and do visit often because of family in the area. This actually was a decent place about 15 years ago.

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Rob L
Longview, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

My experience at this motel June 14, 2013 was horrible.

From the moment we arrived, we knew we had made a mistake. At 9:30pm the door was locked and no manager was available. She finally came out and let us, and the other two couples, in.

Our "nonsmoking" room was, in fact, a smoking room that reeked terribly. Our clothing and luggage stank for three days afterwards. We couldn't sleep until we opened the door and window for fifteen minutes to air it out. With the freeway 50 feet from our window, you can imagine how pleasant it was to have the window open.

The room (and the whole hotel) was filthy. There was a big stain on the bedcover, debris on the floor that had been vacuumed, and even spots on the wall that looked like food had been thrown around the room. There was white gritty stuff on the sink. The hallway looked beat up, and the carpet was soiled.

The room was in disrepair. There was a broken receptacle cover, stains on the door, and the smoke detector appeared damaged and looked like someone had taped it back together. I think perhaps I should report that to the Marion County Fire Marshall.

The room lacked basic amenities. No garbage can in the bathroom.... Are you nuts???? There was only one towel for the two of us. The pillows on the bed were the worst I have EVER encountered in my fairly long life. Yes, THAT bad!

At checkout the clerk was again missing with the door locked. I just left the key there. The clerk was missing a total of three times. What would have happened if an emergency arose?

In short this was a "hotel from hell." My emails raising these issues were never even answered by the motel, probably because there is NO ONE THERE, just like the night I arrived.

I did not get the value I paid for and, in fact would have been better off sleeping in my car. At least then I would not have stunk like smoke afterwards

If there is ANY other option, don't stay here. Sleep on a park bench if you must, or in the train station, but NOT HERE.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Skier1969
Pahrump, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

no Kleenex, no breakfast, no coffee in lobby. nice desk clerks. desk in room ,but no chair. not enough towels for 2 people. $50 bucks including tax though. room did not have a tv remote. had to get one from the clerk. lousy channel selection

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ken y
Salem, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I did not like the place at all. The room didn't seem cozy, everything was kind of old and the furniture was worn down. There was a metal piece sticking out of a bed on one side covered by blanket and so it caused a little injury. The bathroom looked old and bad. And there was a stain on the blanket. The room or probably whole hotel just totally needs a reconstruction! Also there was a view on a highway from the window and it was very close! The price was about $50 and they did NOT even serve breakfast. I don't recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo