“40 minutes waiting for meal...”
Review of Roberts Crossing

Roberts Crossing
Reserve with OpenTable
Roberts Crossing is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 587 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Phone: 503-584-1035
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We decided to try Roberts Crossing for my mom's 71st birthday. We'd been there before when it was a different restaurant so we thought we'd give it a try. Were seated immediately by Jim and our server showed up fairly promptly. There were several large tables that appeared to have just finished and were leaving. Not an overly busy night for a Thursday at around 7 pm. The interior is nicely decorated, although sparse - a great atmosphere for a cozy dinner for two or a family meal.

We ordered and within a reasonable period of time the appetizer arrived. Then the wait was on. My brother went through 3 soda's before the meal arrived. I notice after about 35 minutes the couples who was seated after us were already getting their meal so I inquired of the status of our meal with the waitress, who pretty much by now had forgotten about us. She came back and said "they'd been slammed" and it would be about 5 more minutes. Having run a restaurant before, I know "slammed" when I see it and they weren't slammed - particularly when the other tables sat after us were getting their dinner (although they had a different server).

Food finally shows up after 40 minute of waiting - brother's meal - ginger salmon was ok. Veggies were slightly cold (sign they've sat in the window too long). Mom had a chicken dish and her food was slightly cold too. She reported it was ok as well. I had salad so how can you screw that up? We elected to not have a dessert and didn't drink any liquor. We probably walked out with a $50+ bill for just a few sodas and a dinner. If you want a dinner salad or soup - add $4 bucks. Really, must be a special soup for $4!

While the waitress was "sorry" for the wait, there wasn't much mention of it and management certainly wasn't notified of the wait. Under my supervision, I would have made sure to stop by the table and offer a discount or dessert for the wait time. The waitress didn't seem like she was too interested in being there so maybe it was our unlucky draw.

Over all the food was ok. If given a choice to go again, not sure it would be top on our list.

1  Thank CrabLegend

Reviewed September 19, 2013

You might not be able to tell from the outside, but this is very nice restaurant. Folks from shorts to suits are welcome here. Good wine list, and lots of variety on the menu. Service was probably 5 starts, so I would give it a 4 1/2 if i could.

1  Thank JACoppo
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Roberts Crossing is a nice out-of-the-way Salem restaurant along the river. We ate on the patio with nice weather, although passing trucks occasionally were noisy. The service was quite good, with an attentive and informative server. We had steamer clams for an appetizer, which were wonderfully garlicky and plentiful. I had blackened shrimp for an entree, which was okay, but a bit of a disappointment- I was expecting some Cajun spice, but mostly got just cooked shrimp with some red bell peppers in a non-spicy orange sauce served over mashed potatoes that were heavily buttered and therefore somewhat greasy. My husband had the flatiron steak, which was properly cooked and tasty, but also served with potatoes that were swimming in enough butter to require an immediate increase in his Lipitor dose :) We both had dinner salads, which were fresh, crispy, and served with nice dressings. I took home the cheesecake for a later dessert, which was quite nice. Overall, it was a good dinner, but I think they could improve on their uses of spices and not depend on tasty butter to sell their dishes.

2  Thank TravelVet61
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Excellent food. The outdoor space was very relaxing though the road noise at times was loud. Service was good but not stellar. Overall a great place.

1  Thank Katie C
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We have stopped twice in the last two weeks. Service has been great both times and having different meals each time, all have been excellent. The food was hot with warm bread. Our meals last night were large enough that we had them for dinner tonight. This is a quaint old building that I can remember as the old Roberts General Store. It has some of the old wood floors. Owners did a great job of making it a great place to stop on the way home or walk over from home.