“I dont know why i expected this?”

Residence Inn Salem
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Orange, California
“I dont know why i expected this?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2009

I am a frequent traveler and i expect certain service. Basically because my husband and I work for the marriott and starwood hotels hotels.And have been in the bussiness for quiet sometime! I love the fact that it is a quite hotel! love that! but, the free breakfast was disgusting! when my twins and my step daughter went down towards the lobby area were they serve break was completely pack and dirty! when we tryed the food was terrible tasted old, stale and as if it was left as leftovers. lol.. Housekeeping was ok. it would of been nice if i had someone vacumed my room, each time they did service. i have 14 months old kids. i had to call for a vacum so i can vacum the room... called earlier in the morning around 10am because i wanted service and the latina girl answered completly annoyed that she was working there. she said to me that i have to wait because service only runs 8 to 5pm and they havent had gone to my room yet. I mentioned i dont want no one in my room when i was not around and wanted to make sure someone vacumed and actually cleaned. my towels never replaced even if i left on the floor... other than that i loved the bed, the laundry mat room, free laundry detergent incase you have none. .. general manager was friendly! love the basket ball court and pool! :)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank igetdadiscount

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Woodward, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

actually I lived in Salem for 10 years but would go to hotels once in a while to "spoil" myself and I love this one beyond all the others

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jodie T
Sunnyvale, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

Location, location, location. This is right off I-5 at exit 253 in Salem, and nestled around the corner from Costco. I travel with wife and 3 young kids in tow and sometimes with 2 parents. Usually, it's for road trips from South Bay/San Jose, California to Vancouver, Canada. And this place is a great stop to rest and shop. Big bed, great fold out sofa bed, and a small kitchenette and full size frige and microwave make heating milk in the middle of the night a convenience. I love to fish, and just minutes away is a Dollar Tree store next to a massive Sportsmans Warehouse. And Oregon is sales tax free! I buy laptops, small electronics and even disks and memory from the Costco, and lots of lures, rods/reels from the sporting goods store. Costco has gas pump and food court so you can buy what you need and prep in room. We've stayed at this Residence Inn quite a few times and it's always been a nice place, Summer and winter. The price fluctuates a bit, and it is pricey, but worth it. I often call and request a ground floor room (running kids) and near the back entrance. Plenty of parking on that side, and often I can park very close to the door and it helps with unloading all the kids stuff. The pool is great in summer for cooling off. Can't remember if there;s a nominal fee for the internet, but each room has it, and I don't recall it costing much. Breakfasts are fun. Kids love that heavy duty waffle machine and how it turns over and makes awesome waffles they usually serve juices, coffee, milk, plus scrambled and hard boiled eggs and a break meat like sausage. A slightly higher level of breakfasts than say HIexpress half a block up Hawthorne which only serves hot carbs. No meat. Clean rooms with no second hand smoking smells and fairly quiet even though it's exposed to I-5 traffic just beyond a field and fenceline. Definitely a waypoint to store in the GPS for stops as it's really convenient.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2009

The Residence Inn Salem, was a very pleasant place to stay and one of the nicest experiences I have had at a hotel in years. I stayed at this hotel in march of '08 on may way to the coast, it was just a nice stop off point along the way. Upon entering the Salem Metro area, I learned via the ODOT website that the ramp at Mission Street where I would have exited was closed, so I decided to get off one before at Market street and then cut straight down Hawthorne to the hotel. I was quite puzzled when I began to see some kind of shacky little houses along the road, and there were signs going up and down the street saying "Beware of Hitchhikers" and "Do not pick up hitchhikers" which I found rather odd but none the less it didn't phase me at first. I finally got down the road and found the Residence Inn which is buried behind an office building complex, and is located next to a Comfort Suites.

My first impressions were great, the woman working the desk was very quite and very knowledgeable. She upgraded me to the 1 bedroom suite free of charge because it was a very slow week, and most of the rooms were vacant. The 1 bd. suite was beautiful the Kitchen was well equipped with all the luxuries of home, there was a very nice living area that featured a large sofa, a reading chair and a Television. The decor was very fresh not dated but also not the ugly stucco that haunts hotel rooms. The Bedroom had a nice queen size bed (I believe) another television night stand etc, and a warm atmosphere. Finally the bathroom off of the Bedroom was well maintained, and the shampoo and soap was high quality stuff not some dollar sore muck. Overall the room was very nice.

Back to my earlier comments about the location, the next day I was shocked to find out there was some kind of Maximum Security PRISON only a few blocks away, that explains the no hitchhiking signs. Overall the location sucks, but if you want a clean and friendly hotel I recommend the Residence Inn Salem.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2008

In Salem for businees 2 seperate times in August. Stayed here both times. Helpful staff, very clean and comfortable rooms. Parking is kind of tight, hard to find enrty street to hotel. Will always be my first choice.

• Liked — comfort
  • Disliked — locaion
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2008

First, this hotel is hard to find. There is some construction on the main street, and maybe that's the problem, but it is NOT on NE Hawthorne; it is on a little offshoot with no signs out on the main street. Unless you're staring right down the little offshoot, you will miss it. The location is also in the middle of nowhere, nothing to walk to, no restaurants, nada.

I stayed on the second floor, facing the freeway, and you could definitely hear it. I wore earplugs all night. Ask for a room on the other side of the building, maybe it would be better. The walls also seemed thin, could hear people walking upstairs, talking next-doors, that kind of thing.

I stopped in at the dinner the first night (soup and salad) and promptly left to find other food. It just didn't look like much, some iceberg and veggies, eh. The breakfast the next morning was much better, with scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, gravy, breads, fruit, yogurts, etc.

The room itself was a studio, standard for the Residence Inns. It seemed like there was plenty of room, clean and comfortable.

The wireless internet (free) did not work very well, I got consistently low signals and lots of dropouts.

The fitness room was tiny, but had two very nice treadmills with their own TVs, an elliptical (again with its own TV) and a recumbent bike. There were a few free weights but don't expect to do much strength training as there is NO room for it.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Walla Walla, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

I will admitt that it is a little hard to find at first, but I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. Love the countertops in both the kitchen and bathroom. Kitchen area had all that you needed and more. Breakfast was huge, almost too much to choose from. Even though this property is close to the freeway I didn't hear any noise during the night. Beds are very confortable and for someone with a bad back it was a blessing.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo