“Welcome Home”

Residence Inn Salem
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Literally. If you are looking to ditch the stereotypical hotel stay with cold lobbies, rooms that look like the starch has viciously attacked everything, and the elevator smells like bleach, then the Marriott Residence Inn is perfect!

Don't get me wrong-the place is spotless! But the staff go above and beyond expectations to make this place feel like your home away from home. From the choice in paint color to the fact that they put a bag of popcorn in your room for you to munch down on in front of the flat screen TV with the best channel selection in the area, this place rocks.

The staff jump at the opportunity to earn your business. A call down to the front desk for coffee and sugar means that one of the housekeeping staff will be at your door in less than 5 minutes with 4 packets of your coffee (yes, they even ask if you would like decaf or regular!), and a ton of cream and sugar. My heart soars everytime I walk through these doors-they leave nothing unthought of either.

All dishes are cleaned before you arrive, and in case they aren't all too clean, they leave dish soap, dish machine soap, etc for you to clean if you want. Of course, the disclaimer on the machine says to call them and they will do it for you. But, heck, why would you do such a thing when they are all smiles and say things like "We are happy you are staying with us!". And, then you realize, wow, a hotel actually appreciates my business!

From towels to sheets, fireplaces to the oven in the room, I can't think of a better place in town to spend your money. Sure, it might be a little spendy. But, then again, I have no issue paying the price if it means the staff continue to be employed here, because they are the best in Salem.

If you gain anything from this review, take this away. The Marriott brand is known for hospitality and luxury. And this place does them proud. You won't shed a single tear dishing out the cost for one of these rooms because, quite frankly, its the only place in town where you are welcome, and they make you feel that way from the minute you walk through the doors!

Room Tip: No need to ask for a certain room or part of the building-they are excellent at placing guests based...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Chris S
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review that you provided for our hotel. We are delighted that your stay with the Residence Inn Salem was enjoyable.

Michael

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Salem

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We were headed home from the Portland Airport but unfortunately we landed the worst day of the winter storm that had accumulated in this region. We tried to make it home, about 2 hours South, but got stuck for a very long time due to many accidents. We (my family) decided to pull off and get a hotel, and found this place. The staff were amazing, they found us the best rate, and even got my son a carton of milk since he was so upset from being on the road for so long. Our room was very nice, and was spacious for the 6 of us. I saw the staff really help out all the patrons, from helping scrape ice/snow off cars, helping to load/unload luggage, to making sure people were well fed from the breakfast, even when they came a little late. Every staff member was so polite, professional, and friendly. I definitely recommend this hotel, and if we ever need to stay in Salem, I know where we will choose!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank NallahBear
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear NallahBear,
Thank you for the wonderful review that you gave us regarding your stay while you were stranded due to the snow storm that we encountered in the region. We were delighted that we were able to provide an escape for you. We look forward to you staying with us again if your travels bring you back through Salem in the future.
Best regards,

Reviewed January 3, 2014

As some reviews stated, the building is dated and I think the room rate reflects this issue. There are positives that more than make-up for this negative.

The check-in desk was super friendly, helpful and, after we got to the room, they called to make sure we were happy and had what we needed. The rooms are updated, look nice and are comfortable. The included breakfast is comparable to more expensive motel breakfasts. The location is fairly central in Salem and close to the freeway.

Overall, this location does the job and was better than I expected for the price.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after staying with us. We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience here. We look forward to having you back if you ever pass through in the future.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I've stayed at this property about eight times over the past few years and most of the stays are between four and eight days. As a long time and devoted Marriott person, I may expect too much from Marriott hotels, but they seldom disappoint. This one does. The last time I stayed here the carpet was stained and the closet only had one of two sliding doors. This time the closet has doors, but the bathroom woodwork is incredibly shabby. The "business center" is a small desk crammed into a corner of the breakfast area. If Marriott would build another property in Salem I would never stay here again.

The good news: the front desk staff is nice; the breakfasts are fine, though certainly nothing special; there are always newspapers for guests; there is plenty of parking.

Where on earth are the Marriott corporate quality control folks when I need them????

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor and be sure to specify that it is away from the interstate.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank cachevalley1
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your candid feedback. We are sorry that the room you were in had some conditional issues; we are working to correct that. We have taken your suggestion about the business center and moved some furniture around to open up some space around that location. Thank you again for your feedback. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and other amenities. We hope that you will come back and see us again as you frequent Salem.
Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Kind of your typical Residence Inn, but well worn. It was a convenient break after flying into Portland (1-hr drive) in the evening and heading to Crater Lake the next morning (4-hr drive). Breakfast was the normal waffles, bread, cereal that we've all come to expect. The bed was comfy, but the sofa (a sleeper) was so saggy that it was difficult to sit on. The front desk was helpful with hints on what to see while in Oregon. Although the motel was OK, I thought $140 was pricey.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor. We hope that your visit to Oregon to see the beauty that this state has to offer was rewarding. Crater Lake is quite spectacular. We were able to address your concern about the sofa. Thank you for recognizing our staff service.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

After a Salem job got extended, Sales Manager Alisha answered my initial call. With kindness and genuine care, she offered me a fair deal on a room. When I informed her it was out of my budget and asked her for a last minute recommendation for something close in quality that was within my budget, she gladly offered me contacts. After making a few calls and being displeased with the response I received from the recommended hotels, I called back and informed her of my experience. Apologetic and understanding of my frustration, she offered me a room within my budget so I could just end my already long day turning worse.

Planning to finish the job the following day, I checked out with a hot meal in the morning and departed. As my morning continued from bad to worse, I called back to get back in for another night and they were BOOKED SOLID! With no desire to search hotels again, I asked for a callback in the case of a cancellation. It was nearly 5 pm and as the job was postponing the remaining work until the following day, it was then I received the call that a room opened up and Alisha approved my continued discount rate! I was again at ease, relieved of any further stress for the evening.

The following morning I again checked out with my hot meal and headed to the jobsite. As the day progressed, I evaluated the remaining work to be completed and realized, I was not getting out of there with enough energy to make the 9 hour drive home so I would need to stay, yet another night. Guess who I called? Yep, and again they gave me the same rate. As the job finally completed come 9 pm, I knew I was bound to just rest up before enduring the long journey home.

Now, that is my story, but that doesn't tell all. Very few hotels I actually look forward to returning and even more rare, feel like I am coming home when greeted and surrounded by the friendliest people. So, the Residence is exactly what it sounds like, a residence. The rooms are phenomenal. If I actually had time to enjoy the pool or other extras located on the premise, I am sure they would have elevated an overall experience, but I was thoroughly satisfied. So satisfied, I had to return to Salem 3 days after I left for another smaller job in the area and I stayed another 2 nights. Same rate, same experience, truly the best hotel of many.

So, as I started this, thank you Alisha for making what could have turned into a train wreck of a visit into a desireable experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JT P

Thank you for your kind words. We are elated that the Salem Residence Inn by Marriott was able to be your place of rest during an otherwise hectic time. Your comments were passed on to our sales manager Alisha who was happy to assist you during your project. We are pleased that you were able to enjoy our services such as the full hot breakfast and look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Salem.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here about a year ago and was unimpressed. But I recently found myself back for another try. The hotel is across the parking lot from Comfort Inn/Suites and a short distance from several other hotels. On arrival, there was no one at the front desk but eventually someone came after I called out for help. While I was checking in, another guest came to the front desk asking for ice, saying his ice maker did not work. Our room - efficiency suite - was OK. I really like the layout better than efficiency units at some of the competition. Some of the furniture was pretty worn and a picture was water stained. But it was clean and the kitchen contained whatever we needed, except ice. The refrigerator ice maker did not work. When I went to the desk for ice, the person implied that I did not know how to use an ice maker and had not given it enough time. When we checked out the next day, it still had not made a single cube.
The public spaces at this hotel are quite small, which makes breakfast a bit of an ordeal. But my congratulations to the breakfast cook for scrambled eggs and potatoes that are a cut above similar hotels. When we left, there was no one at the desk again. Note: there is a Costco at the corner if you're a member and feel like eating in.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear recent guest,
Thank you for your feedback from your stay with us here in Salem. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the layout of our spacious suites. We have corrected the few items that you mentioned with your guest room. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the full hot breakfast that we offer. Once again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again in the future.