“Really, Marriott, this one is a dud!”

Residence Inn Salem
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Logan, Utah
“Really, Marriott, this one is a dud!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I've stayed at this property about eight times over the past few years and most of the stays are between four and eight days. As a long time and devoted Marriott person, I may expect too much from Marriott hotels, but they seldom disappoint. This one does. The last time I stayed here the carpet was stained and the closet only had one of two sliding doors. This time the closet has doors, but the bathroom woodwork is incredibly shabby. The "business center" is a small desk crammed into a corner of the breakfast area. If Marriott would build another property in Salem I would never stay here again.

The good news: the front desk staff is nice; the breakfasts are fine, though certainly nothing special; there are always newspapers for guests; there is plenty of parking.

Where on earth are the Marriott corporate quality control folks when I need them????

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor and be sure to specify that it is away from the interstate.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank cachevalley1
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your candid feedback. We are sorry that the room you were in had some conditional issues; we are working to correct that. We have taken your suggestion about the business center and moved some furniture around to open up some space around that location. Thank you again for your feedback. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and other amenities. We hope that you will come back and see us again as you frequent Salem.
Yours in hospitality,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Martinsville, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Kind of your typical Residence Inn, but well worn. It was a convenient break after flying into Portland (1-hr drive) in the evening and heading to Crater Lake the next morning (4-hr drive). Breakfast was the normal waffles, bread, cereal that we've all come to expect. The bed was comfy, but the sofa (a sleeper) was so saggy that it was difficult to sit on. The front desk was helpful with hints on what to see while in Oregon. Although the motel was OK, I thought $140 was pricey.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor. We hope that your visit to Oregon to see the beauty that this state has to offer was rewarding. Crater Lake is quite spectacular. We were able to address your concern about the sofa. Thank you for recognizing our staff service.
Sacramento, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

After a Salem job got extended, Sales Manager Alisha answered my initial call. With kindness and genuine care, she offered me a fair deal on a room. When I informed her it was out of my budget and asked her for a last minute recommendation for something close in quality that was within my budget, she gladly offered me contacts. After making a few calls and being displeased with the response I received from the recommended hotels, I called back and informed her of my experience. Apologetic and understanding of my frustration, she offered me a room within my budget so I could just end my already long day turning worse.

Planning to finish the job the following day, I checked out with a hot meal in the morning and departed. As my morning continued from bad to worse, I called back to get back in for another night and they were BOOKED SOLID! With no desire to search hotels again, I asked for a callback in the case of a cancellation. It was nearly 5 pm and as the job was postponing the remaining work until the following day, it was then I received the call that a room opened up and Alisha approved my continued discount rate! I was again at ease, relieved of any further stress for the evening.

The following morning I again checked out with my hot meal and headed to the jobsite. As the day progressed, I evaluated the remaining work to be completed and realized, I was not getting out of there with enough energy to make the 9 hour drive home so I would need to stay, yet another night. Guess who I called? Yep, and again they gave me the same rate. As the job finally completed come 9 pm, I knew I was bound to just rest up before enduring the long journey home.

Now, that is my story, but that doesn't tell all. Very few hotels I actually look forward to returning and even more rare, feel like I am coming home when greeted and surrounded by the friendliest people. So, the Residence is exactly what it sounds like, a residence. The rooms are phenomenal. If I actually had time to enjoy the pool or other extras located on the premise, I am sure they would have elevated an overall experience, but I was thoroughly satisfied. So satisfied, I had to return to Salem 3 days after I left for another smaller job in the area and I stayed another 2 nights. Same rate, same experience, truly the best hotel of many.

So, as I started this, thank you Alisha for making what could have turned into a train wreck of a visit into a desireable experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JT P
Thank you for your kind words. We are elated that the Salem Residence Inn by Marriott was able to be your place of rest during an otherwise hectic time. Your comments were passed on to our sales manager Alisha who was happy to assist you during your project. We are pleased that you were able to enjoy our services such as the full hot breakfast and look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Salem.
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here about a year ago and was unimpressed. But I recently found myself back for another try. The hotel is across the parking lot from Comfort Inn/Suites and a short distance from several other hotels. On arrival, there was no one at the front desk but eventually someone came after I called out for help. While I was checking in, another guest came to the front desk asking for ice, saying his ice maker did not work. Our room - efficiency suite - was OK. I really like the layout better than efficiency units at some of the competition. Some of the furniture was pretty worn and a picture was water stained. But it was clean and the kitchen contained whatever we needed, except ice. The refrigerator ice maker did not work. When I went to the desk for ice, the person implied that I did not know how to use an ice maker and had not given it enough time. When we checked out the next day, it still had not made a single cube.
The public spaces at this hotel are quite small, which makes breakfast a bit of an ordeal. But my congratulations to the breakfast cook for scrambled eggs and potatoes that are a cut above similar hotels. When we left, there was no one at the desk again. Note: there is a Costco at the corner if you're a member and feel like eating in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear recent guest,
Thank you for your feedback from your stay with us here in Salem. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the layout of our spacious suites. We have corrected the few items that you mentioned with your guest room. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the full hot breakfast that we offer. Once again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Salem, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Due to a house fire, we were placed here for the duration of repairs to our home. The room was very clean, and spacious for what we were allowed. The fully equipped kitchen was a plus and being able to take our dog was great! When we first got there the fridge was leaking water inside and they promptly replaced the fridge. The breakfast was great and the evening social dinners were a plus. The only negatives were that the pullout bed was very uncomfortable and I had to place the couch cushion under the head of the mattress because it was lower than the rest of the bed. Also, the room above had a loose water pipe that would rattle like a jackhammer whenever they would turn on the water (10pm & 6am). Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, James. We were honored to be your family's home away from home while your house was being repaired. Thank you for your feedback; we have addressed the items that you have mentioned. We are delighted that the ammenities that you referred to enhanced your experience at the Salem Residence Inn by Marriott. We will pass on to our staff your praises.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed three nights in July 2013. Based upon our previous stay here in July 2012 we had no hesitation in staying here again. I was travelling with my son, daughter-in-law and their two young children. We used this Residence Inn as a base to visit the Salem area, including the Enchanted Forest theme park which is just five minutes down the road.

We had a two bedroom suite that provided us with much more space than a normal hotel room. The suite comprised of an open plan living area with a fully equipped kitchen, including a full sized fridge and dishwasher, three flat screen TVs, two full bathrooms (bath/shower), and free WiFi The suite was clean, quiet and was serviced daily. There is ample free off street parking.

Check-in/out was quick and easy. The staff were friendly and helpful.

As the weather was very hot, the kids certainly enjoyed the pool.

Breakfast was very good with a wide selection of hot and cold items.

Residence Inns provide reasonably priced accommodation that is excellent for families travelling with kids. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pyctravellingman
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is our second stay at the Inn. We reserved a three night, two bedroom room suite this past weekend and were steamed out of our room on the first night in room #124. While we offered concern to the manager the first night, and requested the ac be repaired or we be moved, we were brought two four inch fans in lieu of our request. I have asthma and woke repeatedly throughout the 1st night coughing with the high temp and humidity. On the second day, as the suite reached 83 degrees and in response to an additional complaint/concern, a male staff presented himself to "fix it" and offered the intervention of placing a towel under the iced over ac unit. We were then offered a tutorial on "needing to wait for it to melt". Practicing patience, we took our family out for the entire day to return to our 81 degree room. On this, our 3rd complaint, late into the second day, we were offered a different room. No help was offered to transport our items, apologize for the inconvenience or offering a complimentary stay or courtesy discount. We phoned desk staff to thank them for the courtesy of the 2nd day steam room move and again were offered a telephonic tutorial on the rate of cooling for our previous room. The staff could not even graciously allow us to thank them. REDICULOUS!!!!! Of course the gratitude was expressed a bit early because at bedtime we discovered our new room offered no bedding for the pullout couch and again we had to request what should have been standard service. In addition, the hot tub was dirty and oily. I thank you for clarifying where our family will stay for next year's HOOPLA- Thank you for the lovely breakfast and beverages and overall courteous staff.

Room Tip: Check the room temperature upon arrival and trust your instincts regardless of staff tutorials on &q...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here in Salem. We hope you enjoyed participating in HOOPLA, it was a beautiful weekend for the basketball event. We are sorry that your stay with us was less than perfect. We understand how important it is to get a good night’s rest. We regret that we had limited options to repair the HVAC unit that first night. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and are delighted you were able to enjoy our breakfast and beverages.