“We always stay here”

Residence Inn Salem
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We often travel from CA to WA to visit family. Salem makes a nice stopping point, and we always choose this hotel. The staff is great, & we have never been disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank BLZs

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We recently stayed here for 4 nights while visiting family. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and really made us feel welcome! We enjoyed the hot breakfast each morning, as well as the dinner offered on M-T-W nights only. So nice not to have to eat at a restaurant! The hotel is conveniently located. Staff helped me find the movie theatres at a nearby mall. Used the pool and basketball court every day. The lobby area had a nice big fireplace, plus all sorts of books and games available for use. One computer in lobby, free wifi in rooms. Our room was very close to the freeway and you could hear the traffic, but we got used to it. My biggest complaint is the price. We stayed in downtown Seattle (Springhill Suites), Lynnwood WA (Residence Inn), Seaside OR (Best Western), and Kent WA (Townplace Suites) during our trip, and this was by far the most expensive hotel on our trip! I have stayed at Residence Inns in other cities as well that were cheaper. For that reason I cannot give it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the freeway as you can get!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I like the residence inn because of the size of the room. There is room to spread out especially for a family. With a husband and three kids, two bathrooms and three tvs are necessary. Also having a living room and dining table with kitchen is great. Its less expensive than getting two hotel rooms which we have to do on some trips. It would be great if they updated the rooms. My bathroom shower had mold in the corners. The toilet handle has to be held down to flush it. The maid service need to take more time to clean and pay attention to detail. Im not sure if we will stay there again the next time in Salem.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2bed/2bath suite with a fireplace.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bball-Mom03
Michael S, Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for reviewing us again on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and love how you enjoyed the larger suite to spread out when traveling as a family. The two bedroom suite with separate bathrooms and three flat panel HD TV’s is certainly a great fit for families. We are sorry for the less than perfect room. We thank you for mentioning the items that have been enhanced since your last stay. If your travels bring you back to Salem, we look forward to serving you again and providing a more wonderful guest experience.
Michael Spoerhase, General Manager

Reviewed March 11, 2012

I loved how comfortable the bed and pilows were. I had a great night sleep with no interruptions. Breakfast was nice and plentiful. Hotel was close to to freeway and Salem downtown.

I forgot to bring toothpaste so they gave me two complementary packets, although I did have to come pick them up. Not a big deal, but other hotels deliver these to your room.

I would definetily stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 7, 2012

My family of four lived at this property for two months durng a home remodel. The staff is definitely it's best asset. We arrived unexpectedly and ended up staying much longer than we thought we'd be there. There is a noisy side of the hotel that bothered me, but not the hubby and kids. We asked to move and it was no problem. The indoor pool is large with lots of deck area and has a spa. The exercise facility is small, but is all in good working order. This hotel has all queen beds, no kings, and the mattress comfort leaves a LOT to be desired. My husband and I had back discomfort which disappeared after we moved out. As is typical in many hotels, we encountered noisy upstairs neighbors. The front desk was supportive in handling it when we complained. I would recommend the hotel for traveling families and long-term stays. There aren't any structured kids' activities, but the pool and outdoor sport court is great for them. The hearthroom has a TV and games.

Room Tip: Take a third floor on west side of the hotel for the least amount of noise.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy D
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We reserved a 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen for 3 nights while in town for a funeral. The hotel is located in a newly developed area of Salem, close to downtown and I-5. Very pleasant surroundings with all services and shopping nearby. Reservation and check in were perfect, and very accommodating for a couple special requests. Front desk was very friendly. Surprised, however, that there was no "introduction" to amenities and services. Our suite was on the ground level and we occasionally heard noise from upstairs. What surprised us most was that the furniture was worn, dated, and terribly uncomfortable. The second bedroom included a large desk, but it was crammed right up against the bed. My husband hit his head on it. Fixtures like faucets were quite cheap and felt like they were going to come off at any moment. While everything worked okay, this felt like a cheap motel more than a Residence Inn. Breakfast was a bit disappointing in its presentation as well, although there was good selection of hot foods. We used the indoor hot tub, and thought the entire pool area was not as neat and clean as it should have been. I think we'll look for another hotel option the next time we're in town.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay with us while here in Salem. We are sorry for the circumstances that brought you to Salem. We are taking your feedback seriously and correcting the items that you mentioned. We appreciate you letting us know of your guest experience.
In Your Service,
Michael Spoerhase, GM

Reviewed January 6, 2012

I stayed for one night on the second floor. Hotel clerk was very friendly. I was surprised that this hotel was only inside rooms and not "bungalow" style as other RI's. Noise was significant issue here.
Good:
Clean and modern room
Accepts pets
Large room
Nice flat screen TV
Not Good:
Noise was way beyond reasonable. Very poor construction. I could hear other guests and their doors slamming several doors from my own room and on the floor above me. Not Marriott standard at all. Does not compare to other RI's I've stayed at
Cheap mattress (I enjoyed a reasonable rest during my stay, but only because mattress was relatively new still - bed did not compare well to other RI's)

Room Tip: If it's available, ask for a room not next to other guests as noise travels really well at this...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo