“okay”

Residence Inn Salem
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I like the residence inn because of the size of the room. There is room to spread out especially for a family. With a husband and three kids, two bathrooms and three tvs are necessary. Also having a living room and dining table with kitchen is great. Its less expensive than getting two hotel rooms which we have to do on some trips. It would be great if they updated the rooms. My bathroom shower had mold in the corners. The toilet handle has to be held down to flush it. The maid service need to take more time to clean and pay attention to detail. Im not sure if we will stay there again the next time in Salem.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2bed/2bath suite with a fireplace.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bball-Mom03
Michael S, Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for reviewing us again on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and love how you enjoyed the larger suite to spread out when traveling as a family. The two bedroom suite with separate bathrooms and three flat panel HD TV’s is certainly a great fit for families. We are sorry for the less than perfect room. We thank you for mentioning the items that have been enhanced since your last stay. If your travels bring you back to Salem, we look forward to serving you again and providing a more wonderful guest experience.
Michael Spoerhase, General Manager

Reviewed March 11, 2012

I loved how comfortable the bed and pilows were. I had a great night sleep with no interruptions. Breakfast was nice and plentiful. Hotel was close to to freeway and Salem downtown.

I forgot to bring toothpaste so they gave me two complementary packets, although I did have to come pick them up. Not a big deal, but other hotels deliver these to your room.

I would definetily stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 7, 2012

My family of four lived at this property for two months durng a home remodel. The staff is definitely it's best asset. We arrived unexpectedly and ended up staying much longer than we thought we'd be there. There is a noisy side of the hotel that bothered me, but not the hubby and kids. We asked to move and it was no problem. The indoor pool is large with lots of deck area and has a spa. The exercise facility is small, but is all in good working order. This hotel has all queen beds, no kings, and the mattress comfort leaves a LOT to be desired. My husband and I had back discomfort which disappeared after we moved out. As is typical in many hotels, we encountered noisy upstairs neighbors. The front desk was supportive in handling it when we complained. I would recommend the hotel for traveling families and long-term stays. There aren't any structured kids' activities, but the pool and outdoor sport court is great for them. The hearthroom has a TV and games.

Room Tip: Take a third floor on west side of the hotel for the least amount of noise.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy D
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We reserved a 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen for 3 nights while in town for a funeral. The hotel is located in a newly developed area of Salem, close to downtown and I-5. Very pleasant surroundings with all services and shopping nearby. Reservation and check in were perfect, and very accommodating for a couple special requests. Front desk was very friendly. Surprised, however, that there was no "introduction" to amenities and services. Our suite was on the ground level and we occasionally heard noise from upstairs. What surprised us most was that the furniture was worn, dated, and terribly uncomfortable. The second bedroom included a large desk, but it was crammed right up against the bed. My husband hit his head on it. Fixtures like faucets were quite cheap and felt like they were going to come off at any moment. While everything worked okay, this felt like a cheap motel more than a Residence Inn. Breakfast was a bit disappointing in its presentation as well, although there was good selection of hot foods. We used the indoor hot tub, and thought the entire pool area was not as neat and clean as it should have been. I think we'll look for another hotel option the next time we're in town.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay with us while here in Salem. We are sorry for the circumstances that brought you to Salem. We are taking your feedback seriously and correcting the items that you mentioned. We appreciate you letting us know of your guest experience.
In Your Service,
Michael Spoerhase, GM

Reviewed January 6, 2012

I stayed for one night on the second floor. Hotel clerk was very friendly. I was surprised that this hotel was only inside rooms and not "bungalow" style as other RI's. Noise was significant issue here.
Good:
Clean and modern room
Accepts pets
Large room
Nice flat screen TV
Not Good:
Noise was way beyond reasonable. Very poor construction. I could hear other guests and their doors slamming several doors from my own room and on the floor above me. Not Marriott standard at all. Does not compare to other RI's I've stayed at
Cheap mattress (I enjoyed a reasonable rest during my stay, but only because mattress was relatively new still - bed did not compare well to other RI's)

Room Tip: If it's available, ask for a room not next to other guests as noise travels really well at this...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 31, 2011

My company has used the Salem Residence Inn when ever we have projects in the valley. It continues to exceed expectations in service, comfort, cleanliness, and food service. We once used it for six months three two bedroom units and every member of the crew was sad to leave!

Please note that my review is based on five years of staying here.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2011

First time staying here. The room was average, but good price for a 2 bed/2bath suite. We are a family of 5, so I liked the livingroom and the 3 tv's. The suite could be cleaned much much better. The fan in one of the bathrooms was hanging off the ceiling. The toilet handle had to be held down to flush completely. In Salem this is the best option until a new hotel is built.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Michael S, Manager at Residence Inn Salem, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your gracious review of our property. We are delighted to hear that your family of five was able to enjoy the spacious accommodations offered by our two bedroom suite. Thank you for making us aware of the few issues which we have promptly attended to.
Michael Spoerhase, GM