Betty's Bed and Breakfast
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Salem
See available hotels
  • Pool
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Let me begin by saying that I don't normally write reviews, because I don't normally like reading them. I'll rate something with a few stars and move on, but I felt strongly enough about my stay this weekend to type this out...

I had never been to a bed and breakfast prior to staying at Betty's, but I have stayed in some of the nicer suites available in the U.S. and Europe. Unless I'm on a corporate trip and my company is picking up the tab, I might never stay in a hotel again.

I joined some friends in Salem for our 20th high school reunion and we opted to take up both of the rooms among the three of us. I have to say that both of the rooms were gorgeous. The downstairs room had an attached bath with a shower that never seemed to run out of hot water as I just soaked myself. Upstairs the bath had the most amazing claw-foot tub that I have seen (I somewhat regret accepting the room because I wanted to take a nap in that tub). I forgot to check the manufacturer of my mattress, but now that I'm home again I'll have to go do some shopping. It was the most comfortable thing I've slept on in recent memory.

The food? Amazing! After asking about any dietary restrictions the night of the reunion, we woke to a gorgeous plate of scrambled eggs seasoned with fresh herbs from the garden, sliced peaches, a giant sausage, and a strawberry lemonade muffin that may as well have been a light meal on it's own. I think I have paid close to the price of the room for a breakfast that wasn't nearly as nice as what I woke up to (okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not as much as one might think).

And then there was Betty. She was so sweet, and welcoming in to her home. She went about her gardening and did some work on the computer and tidied up around the house, all while keeping me company as the girls got ready for the reunion. I have to imagine that it would be odd to have new people in your home semi-regularly, having the same conversations repeatedly, but Betty seemed to truly relish getting to know each of us as time permitted.

I will whole-heartedly recommend choosing a bed and breakfast for any overnight trips in the future. For anyone going to the Salem-area I would say that staying here is a must, and I would also ask that they tell Betty that Frederick says hello.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank ftognolijr
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Nice old neighborhood, in walking distance to the riverfront and the state capitol. Betty's beautiful, well-maintained Craftsman home oozes history and charm. We loved staying in the Marion Griffin room, upstairs. Lovely light, with beautiful windows that open to let in the breeze. A/C in the room, too, in case it's really hot out. The only drawback to the room is that it only has a bathtub -- no shower. Betty is super nice, and easy to talk to, but not at all intrusive. Her breakfasts are amazing! We enjoyed eating in the sun room in back, overlooking her garden. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ren T
Reviewed June 16, 2011

This bed and breakfast is in an attractive old area of Salem across the street from the State Archives Building and its large lawn covered grounds. The landlady is very kind and served us a delicious breakfast. Our room was beautifully decorated with period furniture. There is lovely woodwork all through the house and the dining room is gorgeous. We would love to go back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple