“Fairly average”
Review of Gamberetti's

Gamberetti's
Ranked #40 of 534 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kelowna, Canada
“Fairly average”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Went here with my girlfriend for dinner after being recommended from a nearby hotel. The restaurant had a great atmosphere, very romantic for a couples date. The patio seating looked very nice, although we sat inside.

The waitress was nice and attentive, although perhaps lacked experience. I asked for 2 glasses of water, 1 with ice and one without, and 2 glasses of wine. She returned with 2 glasses of water, both with ice. I corrected her, she then came back with the right water glasses, and the wine glasses, but put the ice in my wine.. She was very polite though an understanding and took the tiramisu off my bill when it wasn't to my liking.

The food was okay, priced very reasonably (especially coming from Canada!) I had the steak dinner (steak was cooked perfectly, although paired with penne and marinara sauce - kind of like you would get at a red robin? Not classy). Calamari was awful. Girlfriend had the mushroom risotto which wasn't very good and kind of soupy on the bottom. Tiramisu was too creamy. The lemon sorbet was really excellent though.

The restaurant was a bit below average. Salem is a pretty big city, I'm sure you would have no trouble finding another place to eat.

• Visited June 2013

Palo Alto, California
“Terrible Service, Mediocre Food”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were there on the evening of June 21 to celebrate a birthday. I can honestly say that the service at this restaurant was perhaps the worst I've ever experienced, and my profession requires me to eat in restaurants all over the world probably 200+ times per year.

The waitress showed up fairly promptly, but that was the only time. She only brought our drinks after multiple requests, and she had the order wrong. She got the two of the four dinner entrees wrong. She said she would bring bread, but didn't, and that was only brought when I grabbed another waiter and asked them to bring some bread. It took a long time to get the orders corrected.

At one point I asked for the manager to come to the table, but he never did show up.

The food itself was mediocre. I myself had the cioppino, which was made with an insipidly sweet and bland red sauce. It tasted like the cheapest brand of spaghetti sauce from a down-market supermarket.

I did speak to the manager on the way out, and he said that if we'd said something earlier, maybe he could have done something for us. At this point I was too exasperated to point out that we had asked for the manager earlier, but no-one came.

I'll never go to this dump again.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Joseph D
Salem, Oregon
“1 Happy/1 Blah Diners”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

there are enough Italian restaurant choices around that Gamberetti's should step up to the plate a little bit on the simple things.
My pasta aglio e olio was sufficient, i wasn't very hungry when I went in so I was pleased. My husband thought the meatballs were good and they were hot but said double-yucko (my words, not his) to the marinara sauce. Said it was almost like eating tomato paste.
The bread was so blahhhhhhh barely rates mentioning. Our server was really nice but could use some coaching on what patrons like and don't like, and to be constantly called "my friends" during services became annoying. Is that the replacement for calling everyone "guys"? well, shake it and just ask if people are ready to order, skip the salutations. Thanks!
Glad we ate upstairs because by the time we were leaving after dinner, the main floor was erupting into a lot of noisy noise.

Seattle, Wa
“Girls Night Fun - Good Food and great ambiance”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I ate at Gamberetti's Italian restaurant for the first time on Memorial Day Weekend with 5 of my friends. One of the ladies in our group had been there before and loved it. The front door is not located near parking or the street, so finding it for the first time was a little tricky. However, it really lends to a nice ambiance not to have cars or a street near the front windows. The restaurant seemed very warm and welcoming. The lighting was nice. The front of the restaurant has a lot of windows. We sat in the center of the dining room and I was very comfortable. We had a GREAT waitress. I read some reviews that said the service here was bad - not if you have Diana. We received a warm welcome when we arrived, she lit the candles on the table and asked us what we were gathering for. She was friendly and fun. Our sodas and waters were never empty the whole night (and we stayed for at least 2 hours).

The reason I didn't give the restaurant 5 stars is because of the dish I ordered. The oil and vinegar and bread were the best I've ever had at an Italian restaurant, but my main dish wasn't what I expected. I ordered chicken fettuccine alfredo. When it arrived it looked more like dry fettuccine with a few pieces of chicken. I was really disappointed. My friends pasta dish was also dry. She is more outspoken than I am and requested more sauce. Our awesome waitress, Diana, had the chef whip up more sauce and then it was fine. I would have liked a little more chicken and the sauce wasn't as good as my hometown Italian restaurant (we were visiting for Memorial Day Weekend), but overall I would say it was good food, great ambiance, and great service.

It was a busy weekend and it looked like a small kitchen (you can see into the area where the chefs are preparing dinner - I thought that was really cool) so perhaps on a normal evening the fettuccine alfredo is better? Give it a try and see. It's worth it just to go just for the delicious oil and vinegar they serve!

Portland, Oregon
“Nice place”
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Nice place with good food. Very difficult to find from the street. The service was pretty poor as others have stated but I give them a pass as they were very young inexperienced staff. Food wad pretty good and the atmosphere is quite nice.