“Beautiful view and surprisingly good, affordable food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gamberetti's

Gamberetti's
Ranked #43 of 533 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bellevue, Washington
“Beautiful view and surprisingly good, affordable food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

The wife found this place on Yelp as we were driving through Salem and I have to admit I wasn't expecting much. It was lunchtime and they seemed a bit understaffed (this poor woman seemed to be running the front of the house as well as serving). However, the view was great with a nicely landscaped outdoors. The place is a bit dated but the food was quite good. I had the pasta for lunch with the soup of the day and both turned out excellent. The place was very reasonably priced. If I'm ever in Salem again I'm definitely stopping here.

• Visited January 2013

Salem, Oregon
“Italian discovery in Salem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Friday lunch 12/07/12

What to expect:
The restaurant is in downtown Salem at the corner of High St. and Trade St. It is a good size restaurant with seating on the main floor and upstairs. I went with a group from work for our annual holiday lunch. Since I recently went to Italy, I was anxious to try a new Italian restaurant and I wasn't disappointed.

The food:
I ordered the Italian Deli sandwich which has:
Salami, ham, provolone cheese, tapenade, lettuce, and tomato. It comes with a side salad for $7.95. I was sold on the sandwich after the first bite as it was very flavorful.

While waiting for lunch to be served, I read the dinner and wine menus. The lunch and dinner menus are basically the same except for the nightly specials:
Mac and cheese Mondays
Tantalizing Tuesdays and
Steak night Wednesdays.

I read the wine menu which has a nice selection of Italian and domestic wines. Their wine prices are very reasonable compared with other restaurants.

The service:
As with my previous reviews, this is the benchmark where the rubber meets the road. Our server was Alicia who was prompt and polite. She was efficient and attentive serving our group. I never had to ask for a drink refill because she would bring a refill before I even thought of asking for one.

Overall impression:
The food both looks and smells great. My sandwich was very tasty and would blow Subway off the map. The restaurant has an open and airy feel for an indoor restaurant. On an environmental note - their takeout containers are made of heavy-duty pressed cardboard and not plastic foam.

Will I be back? YES.

• Visited December 2012
Salem, Oregon
“Free Range Chicken?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

These birds always catch me unawares. They don't have the texture and flavor I've become accustomed to and enjoy. I know the song and dance is: healthier, earth friendlier and more humane, etc., etc. I don't care! The meat still tastes like old tough crappy Chicken to me.

That said, my lunch was good today. I had Pollo Mediterranean; Chicken, Tomato, Capers, Artichoke Hearts in White Wine Sauce with Kalamata Olives and pungent Feta Cheese over Penne Pasta. The advance team consisted of artisan Bread with Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil.

Tanya, my server, did a workperson-like job and was pleasant and accommodating.

The venue is cavernous with two balcony seating areas above the main dining room. It has a full bar.

Gamberetti's is a good lunch or diner spot.

• Visited November 2012
Bellevue, Washington
“Good family dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Spent the weekend in Salem visiting a Willamette student. Had tried to get into Gameretti's before but the wait was too long (no reservations for less than 6). Worth the effort. Solid food. Nothing fancy but good. Nice proportions. Cesar salad was tangy and terrific. Wine list was weak so go for the food.

• Visited October 2012
Renton, WA
“Tricky for out of towners to find but worth the hunt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were visiting Salem for Willamette family weekend and our student wanted Italian. A bit hidden behind trees on a corner of High Street, but once we found it, all was good. We tried the Parmigiana garlic bread, based on a reviewers recommendation, and the fresh marinara sauce is amazing. I am often unable to finish my entree in an Italian restaurant because the sauce is too heavy but none of us had that problem here. My Gamberetti della casa was excellent, the shrimp succulent. When our server was told we had to be back on campus for a 7:30 curtain time, she arranged to have our appetizer and entrees brought out to us in a very timely manner. Service was excellent, water and drink glasses were kept filled. We will certainly visit again when we are next in Salem.

• Visited October 2012