“Pretty good”

Cross street: High Street
Oregon
“Pretty good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Most of the meal was very good. Did not like the creamy dressing on the Caesar salad (personal taste of course) or the cold, lacking any form of cream cappuccino. That was sent back and deducted from the bill. By looking online I see that there is a wine list but it was never offered. I always appreciate dining on a table with candles though...rare in Salem.

Visited February 2014

Yakima, Washington
“La Capitale brings La Cuisine to Salem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Last week, as I was enjoying my steak au frites, with a glass of pinot noir from St. Innocent, at La Capitale, I couldn't help but wonder why the place wasn't jammed. It's a comfortable little brasserie in downtown Salem that offers great food. The steak was wonderful and I always like their frites. My partner chose the spit roasted half chicken with the potato - vegetable gratin. We traded tastes (we didn't want to miss anything) and found the food to be quite excellent. Service was impeccable and the dining room is comfortable. If you want to impress somebody, this is the place for dinner. The lunch menu is more limited (think quiche or sandwiches) but still enjoyable. I'm looking forward to going back soon.

salem, or
“Gone down hill recently”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We used to love Le Capitale, it was one of our favorite date night restaurants. However the last two times we have went the food has been very subpar. They do have very yummy frites and beets, but the entrees just haven't been the same lately. My hubby had a seafood fettuccine last time we went and it was a paltry serving with very little seafood for a lot of money. I had the half chicken, it just wasn't as moist and tender as in the past. We try not to make a quick judgement on one bad visit but this was the second in a couple of months. I think we would be leery to go back except for appetizers.

Newberg, Oregon
“A little bit of France in Salem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

La Capitale has proven to be a reliably good choice for a dinner date with a significant other or a pre-theater meal. We recently dined there for our traditional Christmas "dinner date" with good results.
Surprisingly, the place was near-empty at 6 p.m. on a Saturday. Besides us, we saw only three other couple in the two dining areas -- the bar area also did not appear to be busy. Our server said it had been busy the night before and on prior weekends -- perhaps a lot of folks were at holiday parties this particular evening.
No complaints though -- with what amounted to our own private butler (LOL) service was as good as you'd want. Although the pace seemed leisurely, we were in and out in about 75 minutes!
A couple of specialty cocktails -- very tasty lemon rocket (gin-based) and La Capitale's interpretation of the classic Sazerac got us off to a good start, with their incredibly yummy pommes frites as nibbles. Skinny, crispy, salted goodness that's utterly addictive.
We shared a huge salad of greens, pears, walnuts and blue cheese that was both fresh and refreshing. The only dish that fell a little short of the mark was a pasta dish with scallops and shrimp. The seafood was somewhat sparse-- only two medium-sized scallops and a couple shreds of crab. Sauce was very minimal as was seasoning -- it took a lot of salt and pepper to add flavor to a dish that started as almost tasteless. I realize restaurants are catering to more healthful eating by their customers and trying to limits salt intake. But as I watch many top chefs cook on their TV shows, most of them emphasize flavoring each layer of the dish as they cook -- salting and peppering each step of the way.
My roasted half-chicken, on the other hand, was textbook perfect. The skin was fairly crisp (I would have preferred just a tad more crispiness), with a well-seasoned, moist interior that made it impossible not to finish the entire dish. I was satisfied about halfway through, but I kept going back and nibbling until -- voila, all the meat had disappeared. Nothing left but a few bones and a small spoonful of the cauliflower-potato puree (also needed additional salt and pepper).
Having cleaned our plates pretty well, we had no room for dessert. Too bad, La Capitale's lemon tart is one of my favorites -- but a good excuse for another visit!

Salem, Oregon
“Group Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

What I was most impressed about was the chefs who were HAPPY to have vegetarians and gluten-free eaters who gave them carte blanche to create our meals that were not on menu. The three of us who did that had the most wonderful imaginative lovely meals of all!

Visited June 2013