“Suffered at the Shilo”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Olympia, Washington
“Suffered at the Shilo”
Reviewed July 25, 2007

I booked this room because it rated highest on the Trip Advisor website. Oops! I guess even TripAdvisor isn't perfect.

I learned something important from this trip: Friends don't let friends stay in Salem. That said, maybe it is different in downtown, but in the area where this hotel (as well as the Phoenix Inn and others) was located in was sketchy at best. You certainly wouldn't feel inclined to go out and take a stroll in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

As for the hotel itself - the furnishings in the lobby were worn and dated. Hotel staff weren't rude, but weren't exceptionallly friendly either. When we got to our room I was shocked! It was like the room had been decorated by someone on an acid trip. There were patterns everywhere and very little sense that the patterns were supposed to be color-coordinated in any way. The beds were not comfortable either.

My daughter and I went to work-out in the work-out room and soon gave up. It was located in a glassed in area next to the pool area and was hot, cramped and uncomfortable.

We didn't check out the continental breakfast, so maybe that's great. Wish I had better things to say about this hotel as usually Shilo's are not this disappointing.

• Liked — Easy access to the freeway
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Traveling_Therapist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
arizona
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Odd looking property that could use some better signage; but overall our experience was very good. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. Cookies and popcorn at the counter at check-in. Lobby computer had a printer with ink and paper (seems to be rare in a sub-$100 hotel).

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Carlsbad, CA
Reviewed March 12, 2007

Based on generally favorable TripAdvisor reviews, we decided to spend a night at the Shilo on a trip through Salem. Maybe we just happened to get the one bad room. . . . but you should know that what happened to us could happen to you, too! The room was big, but not clean. When I washed my hands at the sink I was greeted with a big black hair plastered across one of the towels. (Ugh!) When we went to bed at midnight, we found we couldn't use the pillows because
they reeked of baby [----]. The next morning we discovered the in-room coffee maker didn't work. I spoke to the on-duty manager the next morning, but she just told me that if there was a problem I should have called housekeeping...I paid over a hundred dollars to spend the night in this dump. If you make the same mistake, you can't say you weren't warned!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank YakCat

Travelers are raving about these Salem hotels

Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 22, 2006

Stayed here for one night, in part because of the top TripAdvisor rating. Paid $105+tax for a 2-queen room, for a total of about $120.

Pro's:
Huge room.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Hotel itself is back of a strip mall of sorts, but easy to find.
The waffle option at breakfast was a welcome part of an otherwise very simple continental breakfast in a tiny eating alcove in the main hotel lobby.

Con's:
Bathrooms are toward the simple/economical end--a little cheap feeling.
Lot's of $1.50 plastic bottles of "Shilo Inn" water, heavily promoted, and too tempting for kids to open without thinking.
There is a smell of disinfectant or deodorizer about the place. Carpet, furnishings, etc inside are a bit frayed around the edges.
Lighting was pretty dim.

Overall had expected more, given the high rank here on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed August 2006
3 Thank maribago
Pacific NW
Reviewed August 18, 2006

I made a reservation at the Shilo Inn for my wife and two kids and a friend of hers and her two kids based on the reviews of Trip Advisor. This group was on their way back to the the Seattle area from the Oregon Caves National Monument. My wife reported that she was very happy with the hotel and thanked me for making the reservation for the group. She specifically noted the responsiveness of the staff and quality of the breakfast. My wife asked for a roll away bed and extra towels and they were in the room in less than five minutes. I wish I could get this kind of service at the pricier hotels I stay at when traveling for business.

• Liked — Responsiveness of the staff
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family