“decent value”

Shilo Inn Suites - Salem
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed March 7, 2012

roomy suites w/mini kitchen. plenty of hot and cold breakfast choices available. requested service was timely, cleanliness fair. only major complaint is the mattresses, must be very aged, not at all comfortable. nice property overall, centrally located to freeway, restaurants, etc.

Room Tip: in general, I choose an upper floor, away from elevators for less noise, more peaceful sleep
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed February 16, 2012

I have now stayed here 7 times. So it's safe to assume that yes I like this hotel. My family has stayed during vacation stops and I have stayed here for business trips. We have never been disappointed. The bathroom was not as clean as usuall this time and they do need new beds now but still not a bad stay.

Room Tip: Request a room on 4th floor to avoid noise, ask if they have replaced the beds yet. Get an extra so...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I stayed at the Shilo in during Christmas week and the Hotel as usual me all of my expectations. The room was comfortable and breakfast was quite good as well. I have stayed at the Shlo Inn many times and have never been dissappointed.

Room Tip: If have a lot of dirty clothes washers and dryers are availble on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2011

This is a good, basic hotel with a few extras that make it nice for business travel. First, the covered parking area with direct lobby access came in handy, as I arrived on a typical rainy Oregon day. The room I had (King) was separated by a glass-topped half-wall into sleeping and living/kitchenette areas. The living/kitchenette area includes a full-sized sleeper sofa and a table with two rolling chairs. Wifi was fast and easy to access. I used the fridge, bar sink, and microwave to store and reheat leftovers from dining out. There is no room service or hotel restaurant. However, the included breakfast bar is adequate (no hot dishes, unless you count toast or microwaved oatmeal), and the "Almost Home" restaurant sharing the hotel parking lot has good food and a bar. The in-room coffee was very good - a nice change from the typical bitter stuff. Note that room toiletries were a little skimpy: just two tiny soaps and one shampoo. You'll need to have your own conditioner, lotion, and whatever other toiletries you may be accustomed to having in your hotel room. I should also mention that my bed was extremely firm - almost hard - but that's the way I like it. I'm not sure if other beds are as firm as mine was, but if you prefer a softer mattress you may want to consider asking the front desk about it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Shilo used to be a quality place. Their motto, "Affordable excellence," should be changed to "Mediocrity for a price." It's still a decent place to stay. But in their money-saving moves, they have dropped some of the little extras that used to make Shilo a place of affordable excellence. No cookies; a leaner breakfast.

But the thing that really hurts (literally) was the mattresses. In our room, both mattresses need to be retired. The first night we slept on one of the beds: the springs creaked as I sat on the side of the bed. And I'm not a large person. When I woke up, my back could hardly move. The next night we switched to the other bed in the room. It is a little better than the first, but still it is as stiff as a board & needs to be retired.

Mark Helmstreet (owner) needs to fork out some money and keep this site up to standard. If not, he's going to lose more money than he's saving.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank GlennC48
Reviewed June 15, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Shilo Inn for months during this legislative session. The rooms are clean, roomy and updated.
The staff has been consistant and very accomodating during our stay. It is nice to see the same smiling faces when we come and go. We really appreciate Joey's help and happy demeanor during our stay.
I like the covered and close parking.
My only, somewhat negative, comment would be that the elevator can be on the slow side.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2011

I first chose the Shilo Salem back in 2006 (because it beat out their competitors in room price and the conference room) for a get together with about 30 gals. We had such a great time that weekend and were treated so well, that we have gone back every year since then.

We get together every year and we enjoy our stay better and better every year. I can understand some of the other opinions given....yes some stuff is lacking and not up to date.......but what they lack in those things, they more than make up for in customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND, they allow pets!! :-)

My husband and I have also stayed at this hotel, several times, with our Australian Shepherd and it's wonderful to know that we can stay in a nice hotel and take our pet with us and enjoy a relaxing weekend...centrally located to so many stores and other things.

I just want to say that if you just ask......the staff is ready and willing to do whatever they can to make your stay more comfortable! If we have ever had a problem either in one of our rooms or the conference room.....all I had to do was call down to the front desk and it was handled efficiently!

When I arrive there each September, the conference room is set up just as I asked and they make sure that we have everything we need throughout the weekend.

We just feel 'comfortable' at this hotel....( I even took a vote one year to see if the girls would rather try another area or another hotel and they all voted NO WAY). We have come to know the staff and are happy to see them each year. They are a great bunch of people.

Someone said that they didn't feel at ease walking around the 'neighborhood' because it was sketchy, we have walked to several restaurants in the immediate area and never had a problem.

We will be coming back to Salem for a little family vacation, this summer, and we WILL be staying at the Shilo.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends