“One night only”

Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The price was right. Took me a few attempts to get to the hotel since there is no nearby interstate exit. The room smelled a little funky. The bedside light did not work. The TV was small. The carpet was fraying quite a bit. The bed was hard (and I'm a big guy). The bathroom was nice. The thing that really ticked me off though is the thin walls. I was just falling asleep when the guy next door started to verbally abuse someone in his room. The language was foul and it disturbed me how mean he was to the person. The room worked as a quick stay-over night, but I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank BrentB24
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Brent - I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I apologize that you had difficulties getting to our location. As well, I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced with the smell and condition of your room. I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to review our cleaning standards and procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. I would also like to apologize for the noise disturbance you encountered from neighboring guests. Your comments will be useful as we continue to improve our guest experience.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

There are newer reviews for Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North

Reviewed April 4, 2014

This motel was way more than I expected. The rooms were actually more like a studio apartment. I was completely impressed with the room and the price was excellent. The only downfall was the freeway noise.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front to avoid freeway noise
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Connie N
Manager_11525, Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Connie – Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Let me start by saying that I'm not an overly picky guest, and a Motel 6-esque motel is usually enough for me. But I finally found something that grossed me out 100%, and Crossland is it. First, the room smells so strongly of cigarette smoke and mold, it is nauseating the moment you walk in. I put out two huge boxes of baking soda and some air fresheners during our stay, and could barely mask the smell.

The window will only open a couple of inches, and it's on the side where the curtains are hung - therefore, unless you can find a way to keep the curtains pushed to the side (there's no tie or anything) you will be unable to get any fresh air.

I am by no means a germophobe, but the sanitation raised a big question mark for me. There was still murky brown liquid in the bottom of the coffee pot, the filter was crusted with old coffee that looked like it hadn't been rinsed in years, and the curtains in the room have strange, unidentifiable black stains.

I felt the need to go out and buy my own pillowcases, and take sanitizing wipes to every handle/light switch in the room before I could relax.

If you absolutely cannot afford anything else, this is a good value for the Priceline price. But I wouldn't pay a dollar more, and I'd pay an extra $20 a night to stay somewhere else in the future. No way would I touch this place with a ten foot pole again.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank KMKR
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that the smell and cleanliness of your room did not meet your expectations. I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to ensure a deep clean is performed on the room so that your experience is not repeated. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly at SLM@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you’re in town.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

An excellent hotel with fantastic and courteous staff willing to cater to every request. I was required to stay for one month for business and I was extremely satisfied with every aspect of my stay. Having a kitchen included in the room was a fantastic luxury. I would strongly recommend this location to anyone visiting the Salem area, albeit for a brief or extended period.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank jlmiller326
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

I am so thankful to you for your review of our hotel. It is nice to hear that we were an excellent choice and that you would recommend our services moving forward. We truly enjoyed having you stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is a very good budget motel just off Interstate 5 in a decent part of Salem close to shopping. One can save a little money by utilizing the nicely equipped kitchen instead of eating out. My room was clean and included a full size (but stiff) bed, bathroom with stand-up shower, kitchen with stove top, microwave, refrigerator, sink, coffee maker with coffee included and a 19" TV with limited cable. The free Wi-Fi works very well. Staff was friendly & efficient. In all, a good choice for a budget motel close to I-5.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank TravlinNole
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am thrilled that we provided you with a clean, comfortable stay at a great value. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, free Wi-Fi, your fully equipped kitchen and our friendly, efficient staff. Still, I apologize that you found your bed to be stiff. Your feedback will be useful as we continue to improve our guest experience. We look forward to hosting you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is actually a REALLY nice hotel for the price. This place offers a stove and decent sized frige for drinks and snacks. The room was s on the smaller side, but very comfortable and clean. It has a good sized area to hang up clothes or fold them away. Perfect for someone traveling on business or as an in-between residence or get awayy. You can save money on eating out and just buy things to prepare. The staff is very friendly and the bed was comfortable as well. The towels and linens are better than other hotels that I've been to that cost more.

BUT...

This hotel is in a rough area of town and that's not the hotel's fault, but make sure to lock everything up at night! I'd recommend parking your vehicle where you can see it from your room, and if you have one, make sure the alarm is on!! Just keep your eyes and ears open as you would anytime you travel!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 123estrella1
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your room, especially the kitchen, and our staff's friendly service. As well, it is great to know that everything was comfortable and clean overall. Please know, our staff takes guest safety very seriously and I can assure you will take action as needed. We recommend that you take precautions at any of our hotels, not just this one.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

For an extended stay, this facility offers the equipment to be able to economize. Kitchenette is well appointed, with everything one needs to prepare meals: refrigerator, microwave, stovetop, plates, silverware, pots and pans, toaster, etc. Bathroom is small but well-designed. Main room is bigger than most rooms in economy motels: plenty of surface space for getting work done, and room is well-lit.
The disconcerting factor is that this motel is obviously used as an extension of "charitable" organizations which provide housing for persons who do not contribute to society. Having to ask a person hanging around in front of my door all day to go smoke in front of his own room instead of mine is uncomfortable and should not be necessary. As other contributors have already noted, parking lot is noisy, with people who should be working running around instead.

Staff is great: responsive, courteous and hospitable.

I would not, regrettably, recommend this place to others. There is too large of a probability of criminal activity by persons housed there who do not pay their own ways, and therefore do not respect the boundaries of those of us who do.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MegandBigGeorge
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Salem - North, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear you had a comfortable stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you found our spacious suites and fully equipped kitchen to meet your needs. I am thrilled to hear our staff was great, responsive, courteous and hospitable. I am sorry that you had difficulty with another guest smoking. We will do what we can to prevent this for future guests.

I invite you to reach out to me at SLM@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with an even better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town