“Amanda the night front desk associate”

Phoenix Inn Suites Salem
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I recently had my daughters 8th bday party at the pheonix inn south commercial. I promised swimming and it being oregon the weather turned on us so I made the reservation. Im glad it did because we made a wonderful memory. Amanda the night front desk associate saved the day. She was extremely professional, personable, hard working and accommodating!! She went above and beyond the call of duty to make this a great night for us. Though balancing through new arriving guest, her nightly duties and preparing a banquet room for the next morning she made me feel very welcome and comfortable. Even though I was probably more work than the average guest (having 5 girls running around) she made it seem all like a breeze. I don't know her role or "rank" if you will but hands down the best hotel service I've ever had. If she is a manager all ready then null and void. If not then perhaps she should be considered because I'd like to see her setting an example for future new hires. The city needs more quality customer service like this. Cheers to the Pheonix Inn Suites South Salem for making the good decisions!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Bran H, General Manager at Phoenix Inn Suites Salem, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Good Morning John,

First, let me thank you for taking the time to provide such amazing and thorough feedback of both our hotel and our staff. It's not often we get both, especially such glowing reviews.

Amanda has truly been an asset to our team, and seeing reviews like this only furthers what we already knew. Her ability to handle stressful situations, as well as multitask all of the items you mentioned is the reason she has been so successful in our hotel, and will continue to be for years to come.

I printed this review out and gave her a copy, and she will be getting recognition at our next all employee meeting to further stress how important customer service really is. Again, thank you for your kind words and we can't wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

With a name like Phoenix Inn Suites, you expect more than an average stay. However, I stayed on the 4th floor which seemed recently renovated. Floors 1-3 were definitely not as welcoming, with old carpets, walls in need of repainting, and a musty smell. The laundry room has a single washer and dryer, and my key would not open the door. Just a dollar to wash and a dollar to dry, but my loads of clothes both required 2 runs through the dryer. My key also would not open the outside door on the first floor to go out to the smoking area. Breakfast was OK, with a variety of items both hot and cold. The front desk staff was helpful when you could catch them between phone calls. I stood at the front desk for almost 10 minutes waiting for someone to assist me, but apparently answering the phone was more important than helping a live person standing in front of them. Would stay again if I was in the area.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Bran H, General Manager at Phoenix Inn Suites Salem, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. As you may have read in previous reviews, I am excited to share that renovations are beginning on our hotel, with an expected completion date in the first couple months of 2015. We were recently purchased by VIPs Inc, who also owns the Grand Hotels in Salem and Bridgeport and they are excited to bring the same level of excellence they have at their hotels to ours. All of the areas you mentioned, as well as furniture and an update to our public spaces is coming soon.

To address some of the issues though, depending on the time of day, that door out to the smoking area is locked from the outside to insure guest safety. I am sorry it took so long for one of our front desk staff to assist you. We have seen an unexpected influx of calls lately with a number of large events going on in Salem, and we try and manage the best we can. I will review with the staff proper procedures in handling both in person and phone guests simultaneously, as to not make anyone feel like they are being ignored.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and we hope to see you here again soon!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights for a work confernce only 2 miles away and i have NEVER stayed at a place with such a nice desk clerk!
Her name is Ashley and she was the sweetest girl out there!
The first night that i stayed (in a jacuzzi suite) the toilet wouldnt flush, she came up multiple times to help me try and fix it, then called someone to help me, then decided to just change me rooms.
No hassle, no nothing! She was great!
Every time i came in or left she had a conversation with me, she refered different places to eat or go to check out. She was fantastic!!!!!
If she was there when i left the last morning I would have tipped her personally, but she was an evening shift and i did not want to leave money just in case someone else took it.
She deserves every bit of kindness :)

The rooms were comfortable as well, but the staff made it better !

Good Morning Yvonne,

That you for taking the time to give us feedback on both my staff and my hotel. I printed this off for Ashley, and she was very excited to be singled out in such a glowing review. This was also forwarded to our Corporate management team so she gets acknowledged from them as well.

I'm glad to see your stay was hassle-free, even with toilet issues. We train our staff to do everything they are capable of handling, and once they have tried that, they can do whatever else to accommodate the guests to insure their stays are perfect.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I was on business for my job and stayed here because of my contract. I stay in motels about 20 weeks a year while touring and for the price this is pretty average. I checked in at 2:00pm or shortly there after. My TV did not work so I call the front desk to complain. I never even used anything in the room. I asked for a different since my TV was out and quite honest, the room smelled a little moldy.
The front desk said they were full. That's weird, no cars in the lot. I figure they should re locate to a different room and fix the problem and give the room to another person before the arrival time.
Two of the front desk showed up to look at the TV, neither had a clue. I finally figured out the plug was unplugged in the back of the set.
The side door the motel uses for easy entrance side door looks like a loading dock the where people smoke. REALLY UGLY. How about a coat of paint or some outdoor carpet.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you are paying for it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Bran H, General Manager at Phoenix Inn Suites Salem, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Good Morning David,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry your stay was less than what you would expect from us, but I can assure you changes are in progress as I write this. We are beginning to go through a complete renovation to update our look and breath some fresh life into one of the oldest hotels in Salem. I will be sure to pass this review along to our maintenance crew so they can better instruct desk staff to troubleshoot and correct television issues while they are not on site in the future. We look forward to regaining your business again here soon. Have a great day!

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I work at a motel. For it being a suite that I stayed in it wasn't very good. It had a sink, coffee pot, microwave and a couch in one part and a king bed in the other part. They served breakfast , so we took it to our room and there was no silverware. The bedding stunk like dirty feet. Went down and told front desk they brought me another one and it also smelled like dirty feet. Employees were really nice

• Stayed: April 2014

Good morning,

First, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Good or bad, these reviews are what drive us to try and be the best hotel we can be. I am very sorry to hear you had issues with our linens. This is not a frequent occurrence for us, but I have passed this review to my executive housekeeper so she can review the laundry procedures to ensure every piece of linen comes out smelling fresh and clean. With a complete renovation beginning, we hope to see you back here soon to show you the brand new Phoenix Inn. Have a great day!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

The first strike when entering the Phoenix Inn was the stench of old cigarette smoke. They said they were nonsmoking but someone was contributing to the tough aromas. Then there were the uncontrolled hordes of teens. After tolerating hours of thudding feet, loud talking, etc., I called the front desk (after midnight). The response was that they would settle down soon. Why didn't someone have the sense to inform these folks that there were other people staying at the hotel and they might be wanting to sleep. I realize that today's children are a little egocentric but the hotel has a responsibility to ALL of its customers. This was a rather unpleasant stay from olfactory and auditory points of view - that is, it smelled terrible and other guests were inordinately noisy and inconsiderate.

Good Morning Heather,

I am incredibly sorry your stay here was less than perfect. We are actually one of the last hotels, probably in the nation, that have smoking rooms in inventory. We are, however, going through a top to bottom renovation that will eliminate smoking rooms from our hotel thereby making us a completely non-smoking hotel. We do our very best to try and control unruly guests, up to and including getting the police involved. I will be sure to go over this review with my front desk staff to make sure they are going through the proper procedures when handling groups like these that won't settle down. Thank you again for reviewing us, and we hope to see you back here soon to show of the new Phoenix Inn. Have a great day!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Used to love this place but noticed in Dec that it wasn't a Phoenix anymore and it seemed to have some maintenance issues. Stayed here again in late March and now it is slowly coming back. No more breakfasts (they have a $10 meal but not worth trying) and they advertise Italian coffee but make it with those little cups of instant. What I do still like is the room layouts (lots of space) the fact that my dog is welcome and they are always pleasant at the front desk. The rooms still need work but ours was in moderately good repair and definitely seemed clean. There's a lot of great competition here so I think they'll need to keep working on upgrading.

Room Tip: I always choose facing away from the highway.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Speederchick
Bran H, General Manager at Phoenix Inn Suites Salem, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide feedback on our hotel. It is true we were purchased by a new company, but we are still part of the Phoenix Inn brand. VIPS Inc, who was the company that built this hotel, and all other Phoenix Inns, has purchased our hotel along with the ones in Albany, Eugene and Lake Oswego. We will all keep the same name, but you will notice a great number of changes coming in the next year. Part of their commitment when buying the hotels was to have them completely remodeled by the first quarter of 2015. What that means for your next visit will be brand new carpet, bedding and furniture in the rooms as well as some updates to our breakfast and work out facilities. We hope you will be back to see the coming changes very soon!