“Average at best.”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Orlando, Florida
“Average at best.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

First of all the staff was wonderful. Very caring and accomadating. The rooms on the other hand leave alot to be desired. Very tired and need of a makeover. The carpet had many stains. Wallpaper peeling off the ceiling had stains. They try hard as they can but the product meaning the rooms are not very nice. The Grand is your best option in Salem. Spend the extra money unless your making it a one night stay then give them a try. I am not trying to bash the property, but it was far less than I expected. Not even near as nice as most Country Inn and Suites nor Holiday Inn Express properties. Although again staff was wonderful.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
portland oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Nice hotel for the price. Extremely friendly staff. Honest traight forward on the rate, no hiiden charges. Was upgraded to a jacuzzi room (without asking). Breakfast was good, bed comfortable. All and all a good experience. Also, they allow dos, when I was there I noticed most of the patrons were families on road trips.

Room Tip: Prepaying the room save you about 30$ per night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I had a half basement room and ac didn't work. I told them but no other rooms were available, sold out. I don't like basement rooms, but did have window I could open. Was being remodeled on both sides of me, so I think I had the only room down there. I'd call it dingey.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Burlington, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Have stayed here before on business and like it. Large, clean rooms and a nice continental breakfast. Called the front desk as i was going to be checking in late and wanted to reserve a room upstairs. Easy check in with an upstairs room as requested. Nice comfy bed and a quiet location even though it's on Commercial Ave. It's also next to Trader Joe's if you like to shop there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Northern NM
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

Major fail: although we prepaid a room for 3 people, they changed us from a 2-queen room to a king suite. They tried to tell us this was a free upgrade, but it just wasn't suitable for 3 people. They were unable to change us back to a 2-queen because they were completely full. I had to (attempt to) sleep on an uncomfortable rollaway bed.

Minor fail: Because they were so full, the breakfast room was packed it was difficult to move around. Only one waffle maker, and a long line to use it. No other hot food because it was a weekend.

Curiosity: Although every room on the 4th floor was marked non-smoking, the hallway reeked of cigarette smoke. Go figure. The room itself did not smell.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

When we first walked in the lobby was very nice, clean and it looked like it would be a nice place! Then I walked back and it was GROSS. The carpets felt dirty and when we got to our room it smelled like cigarettes!! So we left our room to get away from the smell and we opened a window (which the screen was busted out of and the door lock was broken off.. litttle sketchy). We walked in to the pool which was also icky. I know that indoor pools often smell like heavy chlorine. But it smelled like the chlorine was covering up a terrible odor! It was gross, over-chlorinated, and smelly! Then in our room, I took a shower and the shower wouldnt drain so we had to shower, drain, continue showering, let it drain until we gave up and showered in our friends crappy room. The hotel was also very outdated! I would NOT stay here again. There was other hotels closer to where I needed to be and I paid too much for this. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelManiac60878
Bend, Oregon, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

This is me & husbands first time staying at Phoenix Inn and our last. For the money we paid for our room and the large deposit we had to give up front because we paid in cash, was not even worth it or exceptable considering what we found wrong in our rm. (s) Now let me mention, we are in our "2nd" rm as I am typing this review. So ok, we check in and get to our rm. which at first glance it is clean and nicely put together. We both luv the bed! Then I go into the bathrm and what do I see? Bright pink moldly like scum in the grout of the tile floor all across the wall behind the toilet. Yuk. Ok so I am rolling my eyes & just continueing to use the bathrm. and I sit & see the mirror on bathrm door isnt clean. Now I am on check mode.( Keep in mind I am a housekeeper at a very prestigous hotel here in Oregon.) I start looking around & so does my hubby, and I notice most everything is ok but its obvious maid was in a hurry. Sloppy folding & hanging of towels, very poor dusting job, and hubby notices the headboard is filthy. I then go to sink area and thats where it was, SOAP SCUMMY SLIMY soaptray! With brand new unopened soap & lotion on it. That is absolutely ludicris. I am disappointed in that housekeeper and her head housekeeper for not checking the rm properly. I take the soaptray down to front desk and show the gal this disgrace & tell her for a $97 rm this should not be. Well she was not looking happy that I had a complaint. She did not smile or say anything to make me feel like she was concerned or did she stand up and be curtious to a guest for the namesake of the hotel that pays her rent. However, she did ask if we'd like to switch rms and I said yes. So we did and now I am scanning this rm and all is good, freezer needs defrosting no biggie, and then I decide to peeksee alittle behind the couch and OMG! it is a pair of dirty white socks and dirty tightywhities!!!!! (I can tell there dirty by the way the are laying there all not so white and thrown down.) I freak and put couch back. I wanted to go back down and have a fit but my hubby said Im there to relax and they are behind the couch not in our common area, and just let it go. UGH why I never heard such a thing...but I did and am relaxing instead of pitching a major fit. And decided to do this review instead while I am still here. So moral of the story, unless you want someone elses scum on your soap or a pair of strangers dirty undies to attack u in the middle of the nite, DONT STAY HERE! (I may just go eat all the chocolate chip cookies in lobby to get some of our $'s worth!)
Rm 309 & 319

Room Tip: Always remember to pay attention not to just the details but everything else as well. Dont be afraid...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple