“Best incarnation yet!”

Klondike Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Saint Helens
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: steak and seafood
Exeter, New Hampshire
“Best incarnation yet!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Beautiful setting next to the Columbia River Gorge, intimate dining inside or out, great food. The Buffalo Wings vinegar stands out more than the typical hot sauce wings, making them a different but extremely tasty surprise. The sliders are amazing; soft, tender, juicy and just delightful. The bleu cheese burger is fantastic and the seafood casserole is really good as well. Menu changes in the outside patio area depending on the weather and local produce. Prices are okay on the expensive side, but the food is worth it and we hope this incarnation of this restaurant survives and thrives.

• Visited March 2011

Portland OR
“A rural gem”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I enjoy traveling to St. Helens, especially in the summer when it is cooler by the Columbia River than where we live (45 minutes away). We have been regulars at the Klondike for the past two or three years. I say "regulars" even though we only get out there a few times a year, because that's how Roni and Dave make their customers feel. Roni greets us like long lost friends when we come in. She has an awesome memory and manner, and is both witty and warm. She's also genuinely interested in our feedback about how we liked our food (my husband once told her what his personal preferences were about the cheesecake, and the next time we came in, she made a point to tell him that their cheesecake was a new recipe). We've always enjoyed our food, whether for lunch or dinner. Their Reuben at lunch is one of our favorites, the best I've had anywhere, piled high with pastrami and sauerkraut, and the fries are homemade and awesome. The huge Reuben can feed the both of us for $10, including tip. At dinner, we've been happy with both fish dishes and the steaks. The garlic mashed potatoes are to die for. The helpings are generous and the prices are very reasonable, especially for how much food you get, and the wine list has some tasty yet inexpensive choices for wine by the glass. We've also liked some of their martini specials. The atmosphere at the Klondike is unpretentious yet nice. In the summers, the outside patio is a very pleasant place to dine, and Roni is always sweet to our big lab and makes sure she has a bowl of water to drink. That is what I love most about the Klondike -- you feel fed not just with the delicious ample food, but with the warmth and genuineness of the owners. They really convey caring about their customers and their community. We don't know them outside their restaurant, but eating there feels more like eating at friends' than it does a big restaurant.

• Visited April 2011
Columbia City, OR
“best restaurant in St Helens”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

The Klondike is definitely the best restaurant in St Helens, if not in Columbia County. We recommend the flame-broiled halibut and salmon, the steak, the reuben, the salads (love the pickled onions!) and the creme brulee.

We really like Roni, one of the owners... she's got a great sense of humor. The staff in general is very friendly, but especially Elaine... it seems like she's genuinely happy to see us again.

Summer is almost here and I can't wait for their patio to open up!

Visited April 2011
2 Thank jujubee39
Saint Helens, Oregon
“Yummy Food and Great Service”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We've had most everything on the menu. Whether you choose a burger, steak, or seafood it will be cooked perfectly and the side veggies are always bright and not overcooked. The place is clean. The atmosphere of this place is relaxed. They also give back to the community and have a fun and interactive recipe contest every year.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank Painter397
st. helens, oregon usa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Restaurant in Columbia County”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

My husband and I have lived in Columbia County for a number of years, and when we want to dine out, we're hard-pressed to find a restaurant in the area with decent quality food. In fact, the general quality of the food in local restaurants is so poor that we rarely eat out! The one exception is the Klondike! Hands-down the food at the Klondike is of superior quality and prepared with more care than any other eatery around here. I've never had a bad meal there. In fact, I've never even had a mediocre meal at the Klondike! The food is always good quality and satisfying.
I recently ate lunch there with a friend; we both had excellent burgers with good fries. Dinners are great, too. One of my favorite items in the "Oregon Salad", with a divine raspberry vinegrette. The service is always spot-on, friendly and helpful, but not gushy. The interior of the Klondike's historic building is warm, woody, inviting, with enough tasteful decor to make it interesting. The high-backed booths are placed next to windows, lending a sense of privacy, yet with a view of the outdoors.
If an out-of-towner asked me where to eat in St. Helens, my only answer would be "The Klondike".

• Visited February 2011