“Good Experience at the Windmill Inn”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Roseburg
Altadena
“Good Experience at the Windmill Inn”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were in Roseburg to attend my grandsons high school graduation. We reserved two rooms for two nights and on our arrival found the staff friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and comfortable and included a microwave, small refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer and a full size TV. Enjoyed the morning continental breakfast and the staff that made sure we had what we needed. Would gladly stay here again on our next visit to Roseburg.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WindmillInnGM, General Manager at Windmill Inn of Roseburg, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for the review, we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Bay Area, California
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed at the Windmill Inn over Memorial Day Weekend and I was impressed. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The room I was in also had a hair dryer, coffee maker, fridge and microwave in the room. The pool was perfect and the hotel even has bikes for their guests. The continental breakfast room was a bit crowded but the woman working in there was grace under pressure and kept everything in stock. The hotel is seconds from I5 and there are many restaurants and shops close by The housekeeping staff was friendly and obviously took pride in their work. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My recent 2 nights at the Windmill Inn in Roseburg was a real treat. The staff is so friendly and the rooms are big and very clean with comfortable beds. The breakfast which is included in the room price was good. While in the breakfast room I was lamenting the loss of my cell phone charger. Ashley, who was overseeing the breakfast room,overheard me and presented me with a box of unclaimed charges which had been left by previous guest. My problem solved. It was nice to see the special attention given to the more elderly guest. Will be back, in the fall, to fish the north umpqua.

Room Tip: Our room faced a lovely courtyard with tables and chairs and even roses.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bgibbs52024

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. We really do appreciate all the feedback we receive.

I am happy to hear that Ashlee was able to help you with your phone charger. That is the sort of response that we aim for and I'll be sure to let her know she hit the mark!

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for posting a review.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed at the Windmill Inn out of desperation as the Econolodge in town was HORRENDOUS. We arrived later in the evening, and met a friendly front-desk person and she provided us with a pet-friendly room in the back of the hotel. The lobby was a little torn-up as they are in the midst of renovating the front office.

The first thing we noticed after walking in was a cloying deodorizer smell- kind of like intense, cheap, flowery perfume. The rear entrance carpeting was loose, worn, and quite dirty. The room had the same carpet issue- loose, old carpeting that hadn't been replaced, or even restretched, for years. Although there was no obvious dirt on thise carpet, it was clearly worn, and there was a faint hint of pet urine in the room.

We went to use the hot tub, located in the front of the complex. We walked through the courtyard pool area, which had a very strong odor of manure. The spa itself was great- comfortable and spotlessly clear.

The beds and pillows were shot- old, saggy in the middle, and very uncomfortable. When we told the young man in the front office prior to checkout, he said that we should have told them at night, after checking in. Really? We went to bed at 11:30 pm. Move rooms?

No offer to remediate, basically a "Thanks, we'll check it out, now goodbye" attitude. To add insult to injury, they forgot to charge me at the AARP discount rate, so when they corrected it, my bank account was dinged for TWO pending fees, which didn't clear for 3 days.

I tried to contact them through email, but their website uses a "contact form" to which they never replied. Roseburg, OR has limited hotel choices, but the Best Western and the Holiday Inn Express seem to be much better options.

Room Tip: Find accommodations elsewhere....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Steven K
Steven

I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at hour hotel, but I can't agree with you more that the hotel was in need of renovation. As you mentioned in your review, the lobby was in the midst of being worked on and we have since proceeded on to work in the guest rooms.

Among the items we are currently working on or have been completed are flat screen TVs in all of the guest rooms and updated bedding. We have also gone through and repainted accent walls in the rooms and done work with the courtyard area to help with the appearance of the hotel. We have also been tracking the condition of the furniture and other items (such as you mentioned) so we know what we can improve upon.

We have been operating this hotel for just under 4 months now and are working on making improvements and very much appreciate your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor.

Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

For me the title says it all. I've stayed here at least four times and I'm always pleased. The room is a good size, well decorated and reasonably quiet. The bathroom is big and very bright, the bed is comfortable, and the facilities are in great shape. You will be hard-pressed to find a staff as friendly as this one anywhere else. As a rule, I prefer major chains when traveling, but this is the one hotel I make an exception for. It's the only value-priced hotel in Roseburg (that I'm aware of) that has inside corridors and the hotel itself well above average. Lastly, the location is very convenient: right off the freeway, very close to shopping and to many, many restaraunts -- including sharing a parking lot with Elmer's. Free breakfast is great, but getting a discount at an Elmer's that you can walk to in the morning is better!

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank A B
Woodinville,WA
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We've always enjoyed staying at the Windmill Inns, and we've stayed at this location in the past, and were very happy. Not this time. management/ownership has changed and we were disappointed. Ideal location next to freeway, but..... Room was stuffy and smelly, and grounds are not kept up as in the past. No more chocolate chip cookies offered ( boo hoo) and breakfast was just adequate, although the cheerful gal in the breakfast room is very helpful. We were awakened with noise like hammering on the roof at 7AM...so much for the end of our vacation. Room was clean, and bed comfy. We'll look for another place next time we're in the area.

Room Tip: Keep in mind if you have a second floor location that there are no elevators. You have to cart your...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank luvgr8trvl
WindmillInnGM, General Manager at Windmill Inn of Roseburg, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
luvgr8trvl

I'm glad you found the bed comfy and the room clean. As I'm sure you noticed while you were here we are in the middle of doing some extensive improvements to the property which, I'm afraid, have resulted in the issues you mentioned.

I imagine the landscaping you were referring to was most likely the area in the courtyard that was dug up while we are putting new paving stones in, or the flower beds that were being replaced. Not knowing which dates you stayed I can't say for sure. I do apologize for the early wake up call from the roof work. That was a large project but was not suppose to start until 9 each morning so as not to cause the issue you had.

You are correct in that we no longer have cookies offered (though many people didn't mind seeing the oatmeal ones go). While we no longer have those we are in the process of replacing the old tvs in the room with new flat screen tvs. Currently about half the rooms are done. We are also in the process of replacing the bedding package in all of the rooms over the next few weeks.

There certainly have been changes at the property in the past few months and while there is a transition going on I believe the end result will be a better experience for all of our guests. If you would be willing to discuss staying here again, please call me at 541-673-0901.

Thanks,

Reviewed May 10, 2013

After driving 7 hours we were looking forward to getting checked in and getting in a short nap before dinner. Within the first hour of checking the following happened: firstly, after bringing all our bags in and unpacking the front desk called to say they were switching us to another room. Fine, no problem. After changing rooms in another location and moving the car closer to the room we settle in for a nap. Within ten minutes someone knocks on our door to see how we are. Okay, we're fine. Try to go back to sleep & five minutes later an older couple uses their key and comes walking into our room while we're napping on the bed!!! They apologized & expressed their frustration with the front desk in getting them their room. Scary to know that someone come in to your room unexpectedly and fortunately it was a nice older couple and we were in our room. What if they were less than honest people, we weren't there & our things were unattended? Ten minutes later then someone from the front desk comes knocking to
ask what name our reservations were under. This hotel is completely unorganized! After going down to the front desk in person and explaining that we had been up early, driven 7 hours and were just trying to get in a nap & had had 3 visits to our room within the last hour, we were given a do not disturb hanger for our door and within ten minutes of getting back to our room and making one last attempt for that nap the front desk calls our room again. This totals 5 interruptions in the first hour! Besides this irritation, the bed is lumpy, sheets mismatched & stained and there's holes in the shower curtain. I'm not super picky about that stuff but with all of these things combined I wish I would have just stayed at the motel 6. The only reason this place could possibly have the rating it does is because they ask you to leave positive ratings on
Trip Advisor.

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank MoselyRose
WindmillInnGM, General Manager at Windmill Inn of Roseburg, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
MoselyRose

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

I am very sorry to hear you had these issues during your stay. I can assure you that what you have described does not meet the standards we have set for our hotel and is not what our guests typically experience.

I attempted to reach you at the contact number we have on file but was unable to. Please call me at 541-673-0901 at your earliest convenience as I would like to discuss your stay in more detail.

Windmill Inn of Roseburg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseburg
Best Western Garden Villa Inn
#11 of 16 in Roseburg
Wildlife Inn
Wildlife Inn
#1 of 2 in Winston

Been to Windmill Inn of Roseburg? Share your experiences!