“Relief after a long car trip”

McMenamins Roseburg Station Pub & Brewery
Ranked #5 of 140 Restaurants in Roseburg
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We had been driving quite a long time after spending time at Crater Lake and got to Roseberg about 2 PM. The old train depot has been turned into a whimsical pub. My husband wanted some 'comfort food' and was not disappointed with his order of Beef Stew over mashed potatoes! Made with Black Rabbit red wine, the stew was hearty and so delicous. My husband does not like spicy food, the stew was seasoned perfectly. Although it was in the starter section of the menu, it was plenty for his lunch. I had the Peanut Chicken soup and it was amazing. I had to wait about 10 minutes for the chef to finish making a batch and it was chock full of fresh tomato, chicken, onions in a peanut sauce base. Yum! My salad was fresh local greens with grilled chicken. They offered many local beers but we stuck to soda and tea since we were driving. There is a small bar off the original waiting room. The entire place is decorated with old photos, dozens of non matching chandeliers and old train station signs. Ambience was great, service was excellent!

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Very good food, service was a little slow as the waiter liked to b/s with female persons at another table but the building is awsome

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I was passing through Roseburg, and decided to try the old railroad station. We have many establishments in Portland, Or which are owned by the McMenamin Brothers. I thought I would try this one. The building is intriguing, an old station, which in true McMenamin fashion is well done.
I was there on a Sunday night, and they were slammed. I was warned that it will be an hour before I got my food. This is not unusual for their places, small kitchens I guess. Not being real hungry, I ordered a small salad and a bowl of soup. They arrived reasonably quick, and they were good.
This is good pub food.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We ate here on a Sunday night around 5:30pm. We were told after being seated that we would be waiting at least 45min - 1 hour, whatever we ordered. We weren't in a rush. So no big deal. We got drinks and an appetizer (the hummus platter), while deciding on food. We waited for a good 30 minutes on the appetizer (only thing that required 'cooking' was heating the pita bread). The table next to us had ordered after us and received their chicken wing appetizer before us. We didn't say anything, but the waitress apologized and told us she would comp our appetizer.

We finally got our appetizer. Our meal arrived about 20 minutes after that. The Dungeon burger was pretty good. The jalapeno bacon barley soup had a good flavor, but wasn't anything to write home about. For dessert, we ordered the Black and Tan Brownie and a latte. Both were good.

What made this experience less than wonderful was the service. Every time food was delivered to our table, the staff practically dropped it on the table and ran. We asked the waitress if they were just short-staffed and found out that they have plenty of people. They need to have their kitchen expanded...the grill (from what we were told) isn't much bigger than the table we were eating at. Apparently this long wait is normal during their rush. So don't go between 5-8pm (I imagine the lunch rush is probably awful too). We noticed that it emptied out right around 8pm.

Finally we get to the bill and that appetizer the waitress offered to comp was still on our receipt. We just decided to pay and forget about it. So overall, food was pretty good, but the service was kind of a damper on the whole experience.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

We had an early dinner here on a Friday afternoon, around 4pm. Very few patrons were there and service was excellent. I mentioned to the server that I had read reviews on Tripadvisor, and he admitted seeing some reviews about the service. While not justifying the slow service on occasion, he did say that they also have to bus the tables and other chores and not exclusively take orders and serve the meals. So, it if it busy, they might get behind a bit. We enjoyed the unique decor, the artwork, the historic photos and the signs that appear to be in Dutch, not to mention the food. We would definitely dine here again.