Open today: 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
One of the two best wineries in the Umpqua valley and beyond.

We are still trying to get into all the Umpqua Valley vineyards and are almost there as we happened... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Ralph B
Umpqua Wine Tasting

A variety of excellent wines from the Umpqua Valley and beyond. The atmosphere is relaxed and... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
FunTripper007
via mobile

All reviews pinot noir great wine the owner umpqua valley wine making wine tasting wine industry down to earth making great his wife tasting experience tasting fee beautiful setting dyson susan winemaker grapes
Selected filters
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I had lived in Roseburg, OR for a few years and during the first couple of months, we made a short trip to Hillcrest Vineyards. We had been to most of the others in the area already. I will never forget this truly magical experience. It was in 2004 and the DeMara family had just recently purchased the property. Dyson chuckled at me and commented that I must not be from the area. I asked why and he looked down and said, "Oregonians dont wear sneakers", I immediately felt comfortable. Dyson and Susan are both wonderful people. Then we started tasting. Reisling, Chardonnay, Cabernet, and the list goes on and on. I do believe I had his first Pinot Noir, then came my alltime favorite. Della Terra "15" 2003! Unbelievable and this is the reason I say it was a magical experience. They turned me into a wine lover. They are both so knowledgeable and passionate about what they do. When you become a regular, like I was, you almost feel like family. They truly are deserving of all the success they have aquired. I have now been to over 250 wineries nationwide and when people ask me which one is my favorite, I smile, because Hillcrest is what my pallet tastes! Simply the best!!! Thanks to you both for all of the wonderful memories. Wine DOES taste like a place!

Date of experience: September 2010
3  Thank NYsneakerboy
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I had a day to kill thanks to rainy weather, and was unable to photograph, so I thought why not tour some vineyards. My first stop was by far my favorite and best. I arrived a bit early but the door was open, and I was welcomed right in. Dyson has a vast knowledge of grapes, wine, climate, and general life. What a treat to converse with such an interesting and well informed individual. The wine was great too. I have to admit, the first one I tried was my favorite. This fun wine is call Right Bank which is a 60% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Franc blend. What a treat to the palet. 2006 vintage, I need to get more...This is the oldest vineyard in Oregon, and grows its grapes in the "original" fashion. I am looking forward to the German wine he has coming from his vineyard in Germany. Dyson is also toying with some Distilled spirits, and we talked pears and apricots. Thank you for such a wonderful memory and such wonderful wines. Looking forward to "Le Pig" to be sampled in November. Bottle shock should be gone by then. Thanks Dyson !!

Date of experience: June 2011
3  Thank yomammyboy
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The owner is hands on, entertaining and very informative without being pretentious. HillCrest is such a great wine tasting experience with wonderful wines. At other wineries in the area we bought a bottle or two. At HillCrest we bought two CASES of six different varietals. Great stuff at a great price. He also sells used barrels for only $35! They are $50 at other wineries in the area. HillCrest is wonderful!

5  Thank sp4301
Dyson D, Owner at HillCrest Winery and Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2016

Thank you for your support of our family's winery and taking the time to share your experience with TA readers. Our family works hard to produce quality wines that we sell just here as you know. Cheers and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 23, 2011

Toast the ghost of the pioneer of the modern Oregon wine industry , Richard Sommers at Oregon's Oldest Vineyard & Winery Hillcrest.

Dry farmed,boutique wines not sold in stores are truely amazing.

Dyson DeMara is an entertaining encyclopedia of everything wine.

"Good wine taste like a grape and great wine taste like a place."

Come taste the place. Worth a visit.

Date of experience: June 2011
1  Thank eden475
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I've been to wineries in all over the world (S.Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Spain, Cali. and even in Massachusetts where I live) and I can truly say this was my finest tasting room experience. Both Dyson and Susan were available to speak to us about their dry farm wine making process which not very common now adays in the US.
This winery reminds me of how old Napa used to be until corporations moved in. And I can promise you will never forget these wines!!!

5  Thank SirTbo