“smoking rooms are horrible!!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Roseburg

Holiday Inn Express Roseburg
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Roseburg
OC, Oregon
“smoking rooms are horrible!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2008

I had to travel to the area for business and opted to stay here based on the reviews I found on this site.
They only had smoking rooms available but i was assured they didnt not smell like smoke when i booked my stay directly through the hotel.

I am a seasoned traveler who travels often for work and pleasure--and have stayed everywhere from 5 star resorts in Europe to mom and pop roadside motels and this was the worst room i have ever encountered.
It was like sleeping in a bar--minus the peanuts and jukebox.
totally soured my opinion of the hotel--i had no options to move as the town was sold out. When i told the manager the next morning about my experience she wouldnt give me eye contact--instead she handed me my bill and walked away from the desk--

non-smokers beware!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
RoseburgExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Roseburg, responded to this review, December 12, 2008
I am relieved to hear that this guest was informed that he was going to be in a smoking room as it was the only room available. However, this does not make up for the unpleasant odor experienced by our guest. We have instituted a thorough process to help remove the odor from our smoking rooms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Humboldt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2008

I originally had reservations at a different hotel in town, but after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor I had “reservations” about staying at that one. So, I switched hotels and spent the night here. What a great and pleasant surprise! This is a wonderful property with stunning views from every room. It was very nice to sit on the balcony with my morning coffee and watch the ducks and swans out on the river with downtown Roseburg across the bridge.

I like the consistency of the Holiday Inn Express chain; you know what you’re getting into. The room was nicely furnished, clean and comfortable. My only negative observation was the tiny exercise room that seemed like a sauna because it is adjacent to the indoor heated pool. But after I turned on the A/C and the TV I enjoyed my workout. Right outside the pool area, under a big gazebo, is a large spa and picnic area that fronts the river. It doesn’t get better than this.

Roseburg seems like a neat city and I wish I had more time to explore. Someday I’ll return and stay at this hotel.

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — Couldn't stay longer.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank rcwHumboldt
Brookings, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2008

Nice hotel. Clean and well maintained. No matter what, the view from EVERY room is great. Each room has a balcony with river view. I stayed in January and there was snow lining the river. You can hear the ducks quacking.
Stayed on my way up North. During that particular stay, (2 queen beds on 2nd floor) I was dissappointed that the room reaked of carpet freshner which caused a very uncomfortable allergic reaction. I cant be the only one who has this problem with that stinky stuff can I? You'd think hotels would come up with another alternative. The breakfast bar that morning at 7am was lacking, the hot foods were empty, but they had plenty of their signature cinammon rolls which are decadent. Also fruit, milk, yogurt, cereal etc.
However, on the way back South. (1 king bed on 4th floor) I was very pleased. The room wasnt poisoned with the disgusting carpet fresnher and the breakfast bar was great. I had sausage and an omlet. They were premade but delicious. I generally plan my stays at hotels with a free breakfast. I'd say on this return trip, it was the best I've had.
The staff on every occassion were extremely nice, polite and helpful.
I'd definitely stay here and from what I saw driving around town, it's the only place you should consider.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — allergic reaction to stinky carpet powder freshner
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank pamela c
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2008

I was coming home from Arizona through California and in bad weather and headed to near Seattle and Christmas. I got in late and there was a Christmas tree and a fire going in the lobby and a very nice young lady behind the desk. My reservation was all set as well as the room I had asked for. The room, bed, and shower were all great. They have a very nice continental breakfast. Checkout was easy. I would plan my trip to stay there again when driving south through Oregon. I don't know about the pool as it was December.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank huskyrick
SoCal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

Pulled off the road after a long day of driving through the rain, and couldn't have hoped for a better, more hospitable choice! A cozy fire was going in the comfortable, welcoming lobby and other travelers were splashing in the pool. All rooms have balconies overlooking the Umqua River (muddy and moving swiftly after all the day's rain). Plastic chairs on the balcony are a disappointment, but it was wonderful to be able to enjoy the fresh air and view.

This could have been just an ordinary roadside motel, but they have gone to some effort to provide the extras that make you feel pampered. I hate those awful, tacky bedspreads so many chains have, and it was nice to see here a nice comforter topped by a clean sheet instead. There's a choice of firm and soft pillows (so marked on the pillowcases), and a comfortable chair with ottoman so you can put your feet up. The shower has an arched shower curtain rod so the curtain doesn't stick to you while you're showering. The towels are nice and thick and obviously new.

This is an independently operated Holiday Inn Express, and it shows that these owners have gone the extra mile to make theirs a pleasant experience.

• Liked — extra touches to make it more than just a motel
  • Disliked — internet didn't work, small housekeeping problems
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ocnative1874
Shenandoah Valley, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

We had traveled the entire Oregon coast and arbitrarily chose Roseburg as a half-way stopping point on our return to Portland. via Interstate 5. I initially chose it because of the website pix showing the view of the Umpqua river from the hotel rooms. It was the perfect choice. The view is lovely and each room has a deck as well There is an outdoor hot-tub in a gazebo and a little park to stroll in. There is also an indoor pool and office services room. The rooms were spacious, with modern decor and all the amenities. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the free breakfast turned out to be a rather nice buffet, with eggs, sausage, muffins, etc. Roseburg turns out to be a pleasant small city. We ate dinner in the revitalized Old Town section and found a clever, interesting restaurant that served Tapas. We also shipped back some of our purchases and carry-on luggage via UPS - who were most friendly and efficient. $40 very well spent. This hotel was reasonable in price and offered a quality experience that I had not expected.

Stayed September 2007
Tacoma, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

Conveniently located to I-5. Every room has a small patio with a view of the river. Room was clean, spacious and had a microwave and fridge. The bathroom is small and doesn't have a fan. Bed was wonderful. Staff was very friendly. The continental breakfast included scrambled eggs and bacon, plus toast, sticky buns, fruit, juice, cereal and milk. A good value for the money. Would defiitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseburg
Best Western Garden Villa Inn
Quality Inn Central
Quality Inn Central
#11 of 15 in Roseburg
BEST WESTERN PLUS Hartford Lodge -  Sutherlin / Roseburg

Been to Holiday Inn Express Roseburg? Share your experiences!