“The view is about it.”

Sand Dollar Restaurant & Lounge
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Welcome to Sand Dollar Restaurant & Lounge! We offer a wide variety of traditional American fare with a fine European twist. Prepared with fresh, local ingredients, our food will please even the most sophisticated pallets. We create everything in our kitchen, including our breads, desserts, burger buns, dinner rolls, sauces... Our establishment can accommodate families with children, adults that are looking for a fine cocktail or a good bottle of wine, parties of any kind. Our restaurant and patio provide for magnificent views of Pacific Ocean, Twin Rocks and fabulous sunsets! Come for the food and enjoy the view!
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband and I have been to this little place twice. Once for lunch and again for breakfast. For lunch I ordered the calamari and a cup of clam chowder. The chowder is nothing special, it was bland but colored with paprika. It had an odd texture, kind of gritty, like potatoes had been blended to thicken it but not smoothly. When our waitress, Kathleen, brought out the calamari she said the chef had told her to tell me that the order was not normally as large and not to expect as much next time. WTH? Why qualify it? Not really the thing to say if you want repeat business. My husband ordered the Reuben sandwich done on homemade bread. He said it was good, fries were good with it.

We had heard they had an amazing breakfast and decided to try that. It was horrible! We both ordered the chicken fried steak. My steak was nearly burned on the outside and raw in the middle. It was not drained properly and there was grease all over the plate mixing with my hash browns, eggs and fruit salad. They offer toast, a pancake or a waffle with breakfast. We asked for sourdough toast and was told it was homemade as well. It was a thick piece of doughy bread that didn't really taste like anything.

I think this place needs to find it's rhythm. On our first visit there was Irish music coming from the kitchen, during our breakfast there was a mix of really loud old school rock going on. Not really what I want to listen to while trying to enjoy my breakfast looking at the gorgeous Pacific. You can't beat the view and while they are trying to distinguish themselves on the coast I think they are trying a bit too hard and missing the mark. I seriously doubt they will be around long as there is little to no business in the winter here.

1  Thank Chris C

Reviewed April 22, 2014

The food was tasty but nothing fancy. It seemed overpriced for what you actually received. Its strength lies in the view of the ocean from the dining area and bright interior. Don't order the kids' menu chicken strips-they are small pieces of chicken breast smothered in deep-fried fish batter.

2  Thank JDH154945
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

The only thing this place had going for it was the view. Clam chowder was thick and tasteless. Fish and chips were hot and crunchy, but very bland. Loud rap music booming from the kitchen made the dining room unpleasant. Many people came in, looked at the menu and left. They were smart.

3  Thank Tomsang
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This place is going to be a legend. There are very few restaurants on the Oregon Coast that you have to visit when you’re in the area. Sand Dollar Restaurant in Rockaway Beach is certainly a must visit. The atmosphere at Sand Dollar is perfect! Staff is a pleasure, helpful and friendly… the interior of this restaurant is fun with a nice beach atmosphere, great views and large lounge. I will be going back again, and again… and again!

1  Thank SunsetChaser-Inc
Reviewed April 13, 2014

The Sand Dollar is right on the beach with outside seating at Rockaway Beach. When we first got the menu and saw the prizes, we said "oh, we are paying for the view, and it's worth it" But then the burgers came.
And They were worth the price alone, and the view was just a bonus!! The chicken burger was HUGE and the Pineapple was fresh and thick and so good!! and the fries was Fabulous!!!
and the 5 year old, the calamari was also Fabulous (and it was!!!)
And the size of the kids cheese burger was unbelievable!! This was a Great meal and so worth every penny, for the food and the view!!

2  Thank tia2zach