“Scarey and small”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rockaway Beach
oregon city
“Scarey and small”
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I expected more for the cost we paid. Ther was no DVD player, the carpet was stained and the room small. If you wanted to watch TV you had to be on the bed.

On our checkout date, my wife took the car to go look at the tide pools while I slept in. At 8:30 am, there was a loud knock of about 10 raps on the door. I woke up and yelled "who is it?" (thinking my wife forgot her keys). I got no response and 5 seconds later, a motel employee WALKED INTO MY ROOM and when they saw me, they looked very surprised and said they were "just looking for a power outage". This makes NO SENSE. I was going Tto be ripped off. They saw the car gone and figured we were not there. There was no storm and even if the power was off, why wake up a guest when they are asleep?

TAKE ALL VALUABLES WITH YOU EVERY TIME YOU LEAVE THE ROOM!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank slayer1967

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
milwuakie, OR
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We travel to Rockaway beach with our Rose City Model T club every year since my husband was a child, we all stay at Silver Sands Motel. We would not like to stay anywhere else. They are great people and very helpful. So our daughter got married on the back side of the motel in Sept. of 2006 it was a perfect day for a weddding. The staff helped in anyway they could. It turned out beautiful. And irt was her birthday also. My huscand and I have been there during storms and love the views.

• Stayed September 2006
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We tried the Siver Sands due to their dog friendly policy and great beach location. The basic two room suites with a small kithenette all have a nice ocean view. The lower floor rooms have a door leading out to the beach directly, great for the dog. The kithchenette has a range, small icebox and sink. No oven. Some rooms have full size ice boxes and some those little 1/2 size ones with no freezer space. You need to ask if this matters to you. . The motel has a nice pool, spa and a sauna. All well kept and clean with pool towels provided. Staff is pleasant and helpful.

Rockaway has several small resturants, a grocery store, a couple of "antique" stores, ( all within walking distance) a pizza joint, and a liquor store at the south end of town. ( car required) The rest of the town is motels and beach cottages.

I tried to pry out of the maids which room was best and they couldn't decide so I figure they are pretty much all the same. There is daily maid service, a free newspaper each day and free coffee in the lobby. The dog cost $10.00 per night extra. Check in is 4 pm check out is 11 am. Total cost in April of 09 was $100 per night . ( room, tax and dog fee)

Motel is modest but comfortable. Let's face it- if they allow dogs this isn't the ritz!
I rate it Good to Very Good- based on location and value.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
oregon city, or
Reviewed March 22, 2009

Clean room ,no deadbolts on the doors
Right on the beach.
The bed was hard as a rock in our room 124, I can't speek for the others.
The couch was very uncomfortable & the chairs for the table leaned way back when you sat in them ( rocker type ) had to lean one of them against the couch because it leaned back so far
Management was very nice

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver,WA
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Good for access to, golfing, crabbing and long beach walks. We have never had any complaints about this hotel. It is funky and its the Oregon coast! Don't expect any more and you will be happy with your choice. Relax and listen to the waves breaking from your room at night and the stress goes away.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Or
Reviewed February 22, 2009

My wife, son and I stayed here in late February. The staff was very helpful, they let us look at the room before we decide to stay. We were very happy with it, but choose to look around the city a bit more, needless to say we came back and are very happy we did. The check in process was fast and efficient. The room was very clean and well maintained. The beds are comfy. We didn’t swim but others at the hotel seem to be having a good time at the pool, and I didn’t get knocked out by the smell of chemicals walking by it. The room is a little simple, but is far, FAR outshined by the view and location. If the hotel was any closer you would have to close the windows, so as not to get wet from the waves. It’s right on the beach! After about 15 yards of grass and dunes you’re on the beach! We left the windows open all night and fell asleep with the sound of the crashing waves.

We ate at “the Beach Bite” for dinner. A bit spendy for the quality but not bad at all, I’d go again. Checked out the obligatory shops like Flamingo Jims and burnt some money at the local arcade. We had a great time at the Silver Sands and will be back. I would recommend this place to anyone who loves the beach and wants a simple and very clean place to stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Portland oregon
Reviewed July 2, 2008

My husband and I needed a getaway.Everything on the coast was booked.Stumbled upon The Silver Sands on the internet.I called them They were awesome.They had a room and when we got there we were able to check in early and everthing was wonderful They were so kind The room was great bed was super comfy.Room was very clean Beach Acess and view was awesome!!!!We will go back time and time again...

• Liked — The friendly staff the clean room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockaway Beach
#4 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Sea Haven Motel
Sea Haven Motel
#2 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel? Share your experiences!