“Loved being able to walk from the hotel room onto the beach...”

Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rockaway Beach
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Nice speedy check in and given an ocean view room (that we had requested). Room was quite spacious with good shower (if you have read any of our other reviews, you know we like a good shower)! Best thing was opening the back door of the hotel room and stepping out onto the beach - you only get this with the ground floor rooms though, so request them if you can. You also get a semi-private patio area with chairs and we sat there watching the sun set - really really nice thing to do. No breakfast but there are a couple of places in town but as we were heading out, we went to Pig 'n' Pancakes in Cannon Beach - great choice and great value. For the "non-Americans" - a "light" breakfast is served.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room with the patio and ocean view...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GordonandMichael

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel could be one of those gems, but it really needs help. Our 25-year old son booked a suite/2 room unit when we were visiting him and wanted to scope out the coast. The location is great: right on the beach in a quiet town. Here's what it could be: a comfortable, clean, unpretentious hotel where a couple or family can enjoy the beach away from the Cannon Beach crowds, but close enough (about 20 minutes) to get there on a whim. Here's what it is: a hotel that needs serious exterior maintenance and interior updating. The room was clean, but the furnishings were so old that the upholstery and bedspread simply can't really be clean. The bed had a visible sag, the pillows were flat and not enough, and the bedding was so old that I didn't want it touching my face.

I didn't give it one star because the bathroom and kitchenette were clean and the management obviously made a good attempt in housekeeping. However, at what they were charging, it shouldn't look like the basic furnishings of s frat house. I don't mind funky and I've stayed in enough hostels around the world to enjoy traveling simply, but this is shabby, not "funky" and at what they're charging, it should show more care and updating.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank WorldloverSantaFe
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We’ve stayed there a few times now. The first two times were great. The service was good. The rooms were clean. The maid staff was very friendly. No complaints.

However our last visit leads me to believe (as others have stated) that this hotel had gone downhill.

First off we reserved a ground level room. I even called to confirm it and was told yes it was a ground level room. We originally wanted just a regular two queens basic room, but I was told there were none on the ground floor available, so we paid and extra $20 for the kitchenette unit….just so we could have a ground floor room. We arrive at the hotel only to find out there are NO ground level rooms available and we are in fact in an upstairs unit. The lady who checked us in asked if we still wanted to stay there. Knowing there were no other available room in town, we took the room but cut our stay short from two nights to one. She did refund my 2nd night although I had to call the next day when I got home because she didn’t refund the pet fee.

Strike one.

We check into the room and it appeared to be clean but very dated. It’s not fancy nor do I expect it to be at the beach. BUT the room needs some TLC. Our bedspread had a hole in it. The walls need to be wiped down. What I thought was tiny holes in the wall was actually dirt. The floor boards were dirty and there was a good pile up of sand all along the side of the floor where it meets the wall. Now I get at the beach you can’t ever get rid of all the sand in a room, but a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment run along the floor where it meet the wall would go a long way to help this issue. The furniture is old and needs to be replaced. Our tall dresser which doubled as our TV stand, was worn and chipped in places. The nightstand and kitchen table were chipped as well. Our queen beds were uncomfortable. The bathroom was very clean.

Strike Two.

The indoor pool is great. It’s warmer than most hotel pools. Very comfortable for longs swims with the kids. It’s a salt water pool which is better for the environment and people since it uses less chlorine to keep it clean. On the first day we swam, it was a little overly salty. I told the front desk about it and they must have fixed it. The next day it wasn’t as salty. The hot tub is HOT! Very hot. Not sure what the temp was but it was way hotter than other hotels we’ve stayed out. I didn’t see it get used much when we were there…most likely due to temperature. They also have a nice sized sauna.

The view from our room was breath taking. Love being right on the beach, watching the sunset. They allow pets, up to two dogs per room. All that is required is that they be on a leash on the property and never be left alone unattended on the property. $10 per dog, per night. The walls are pretty thin so we did hear the people next to us and even below us which I found strange. We heard showers running, doors slamming.

Silver Sands is right in town, within close walking distance to shops and restaurants.

For the price they charge for room, and in the summer time are pretty full, I would expect better rooms and friendlier service. They are more expensive than many other hotels in Rockaway Beach. You are paying for being right on the beach and having an awesome view.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nennyz
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our bed spread was at least 30 years old with holes in it. And the mattress was as hard as a brick! My back hurt all night. For the money we paid I expected something nicer. The staff was accommodating but not overly friendly. The view of the ocean was very nice though.

Room Tip: Not a goods night rest. The beds are hard.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth J
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We've stayed at the Silver Sands several times and have enjoyed it each and every time. It is pet friendly and RIGHT ON THE BEACH!!! It is decidedly dated, but is clean and the staff is friendly. We always stay on the first floor and love being able to walk out to the beach, or sit on the provided chairs on our little porch and watch the ocean. If you are looking for lush surroundings or state of the art amenities, go down the road. But if you are looking for an old time good night on the Oregon beach, the Silver Sands is the way to go.

Room Tip: First floor is a must- direct access to beach from your own back door!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MaryLou P
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Don't expect anything modern or luxurious, but this hotel was perfect for us. It is right on a beautiful stretch of beach! Open the windows to hear the surf. My son and I enjoyed the warm salt water indoor pool. They also have a nice hot tub.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jcc44
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This place nearly ruined our vacation last year. I had reserved and guaranteed 2 rooms for 3 nights, 2 months in advance. My wife and I arrived at 2 pm and paid for our room AND paid for the second room. Credit card, paid. At 5 the rest of our family arrived, when they tried to check in we're told they were fully booked. They had rented our second room to another party who were now in the room. Yes, we reserved AND paid for. I had receipts showing it paid. But they let someone else move in.
Then their true colors came out. They made no attempt to find us another room. Very rude. Would they try to find us another motel? NO. We were stonewalled for an hour. We tried other places, but it was a busy summer weekend. We had to go to other places, call every place in Rockaway Beach.
All they would do was refund us the cost of 1 night, one room. Couldn't get a refund on the first room so that we could all move. It took us to 9 pm to find alt rooms 50 miles away.
They didn't apologize, showed no remorse, they couldn't care less.
Most frustrating was that they showed no concern, made no effort to help us. Sat there holding the refund for one room.
Anyway, we certainly won't ever go back. BEWARE!!!!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Larry B
wallingmike, Owner at Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Why did you wait almost a year to post this Larry? I would gladly have helped you move to another property and given you a refund for all rooms. I am at the property ever week and have never had this happen. Please contact me so I can at least get you a nights refund. Mike Walling, owner.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockaway Beach
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Tradewinds Motel
Tradewinds Motel
#4 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel? Share your experiences!