“OK”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rockaway Beach
Vancouver, Washington
“OK”
Reviewed September 11, 2010

The view is superb; hard to beat. Other than that though, the Tradewinds just isn't worth the price. It's in sore need of some updates or just basic maintenance. We've stayed here many times in the past & don't think any maintenance has been done in many years. Wallpaper peeling on the walls is easy to fix. We had an oceanfront room on the 2nd floor which we like -- it allows you to sleep with the slider open & hear the crashing ocean below. Bed was comfortable which was an improvement over past visits so maybe they're spending some money on new beds. We paid $348 for 2 nights (incl tax) -- for that price you should get some ameneties beyond the view. The Tradewinds has none. No pool, no hot tub. Limited service. Think we'll look for a different place for our next visit to Rockaway. It does have free wifi but it's not high speed at all.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelSinceRetired

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Helena, Montana
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We stayed at the Tradewinds for one night, however we wish we would have planned to stay longer. What a beautiful little slice of heaven on the beach. We had a 2nd Level room with a balcony over looking the ocean and I can't imagine a better place to sit and enjoy my morning cup of coffee. We spent hours walking up and down the beach looking for treasures to wash up. We actually found one whole sand dollar. We also enjoyed the fireplace in the room. The room was not brand new but Neil was very accomadating and the price was affordable. We will definately be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Came here alone to relax a bit in April. Got the 2nd floor oceanside room with the kitchenette, fireplace and great balcony. Being April, I was expecting unpredictable weather and was a bit worried that the room may be cold. But between the fantastic presto-logs (I got a 2nd one per night's stay) and the very adequate heater, I was toasty warm through a rain/hail/wind storm. I brought my own food from Tillamook and the local store to prepare in the very nicely equipped kitchen and extra bonus points for providing a tea kettle as opposed to the usual hotel response to tea drinkers: just boil the water through the coffeemaker... you don't mind coffee-ized tea, do you? Decor a tad tatty but I'd take some unglued wallpaper over paying more money at some hotel chain any day. Beach is right there and easy to access, 'downtown' is an easy 15-minute beach walk way, the hotel staff are accommodating and I loved the shower and hot water. The internet connection is great, too. Like it so much, I'm staying another two nights. Suggestion, though: if you're coming during storm season, you may want to bring some ear plugs. Horizontal rain against the windows can be noticeable but the fireplace dampers dancing around in the wind can be a bit irksome. Snagged some earplugs off some nice construction guys in town and now I'm ready for anything!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Washington
Reviewed September 15, 2009

We checked into our room and the first thing I noticed was the musty smell in the room, I said well maybe its because were right next to the ocean. The veiw was great so we over looked the smell. The next morning we went sightseeing, left before 11:30 am got back about 2:30 walked into our room and nothing had been done, no housekeeping , I call the front desk and ask why nothing was done, she told me that if we didn't leave before 12:00 you would not get any serivce. I told her that we gone before 11:30, she told me sorry but there was nothing she could do. she did bring clean towels. We will not stay there again. We love Rockaway Beach we'll stay some place else.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
portland,oregon
Reviewed September 10, 2009

My wife and I spent a weekend at the Tradewinds Motel near the end of August and really enjoyed it. Rockaway is on a comparitively quiet part of the north Oregon coast and has a lovely expanse of beach. The room had a nice, comfortable king bed, a kitchenette,table, chairs,a small balcony, with a couple of chairs and a perfect view of the ocean.
When we weren't exploring Rockaway and other parts of the north coast, we sat on the balcony or walked along the beach; I love the roar of the ocean so it was perfect. Needless to say, the fact there was no A/C wasn''t a problem as, although the weather was perfect, it wasn't hot enough to require it.
As a travel agent, I have booked with Neil many times and it was nice to finally meet him and stay there. If you're looking for an alternative oceanfront motel, this is it.

Washington
Reviewed August 9, 2009

The queen size mattress was so lumpy that everytime you rolled over you almost rolled out on to the floor. The shower value took a mechanical degree to figure out how to turn the water off and on.

1 Thank Hamara
Pullman, Washington
Reviewed October 25, 2008

It poured the entire two days we were at Rockaway Beach but we still enjoyed it. The fireplace was a wonderful treat on the damp chilly evenings and the view from the balcony of breakers and wind blown sand was amazing. The decor is a bit tatty but everything worked and it was clean. Large rooms with kitchen areas with the possibility of opening up two connecting rooms.
Staff were helpful and friendly.

Just a suggestion...take food with you. The store is very limited.

• Liked — View and fireplace
  • Disliked — Needs some new wallpaper and some pictures on the walls
    • Check in / front desk
#2 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Beach Stay Motel
Beach Stay Motel
#6 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to Tradewinds Motel? Share your experiences!