“There's No Place Like Home -- Except For This Place!”
Review of Tradewinds Motel

Tradewinds Motel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rockaway Beach
Portland, Oregon
“There's No Place Like Home -- Except For This Place!”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

It's hard to stand out in the travel industry, especially in the motel business, but these people have managed to do it. The rooms are clean and comfortable, you cannot beat the ocean views, and the beach is right outside your door -- you don't have to drive or cross the street to get there. But the best part is the ownership. The family that owns it will help you at any hour of the day or night, and they'll help you even if you are looking for something else. I've been in the office when travelers come through wanting assistance or information about all sorts of stuff, and these people are virtual coast encyclopedias. I can see why they are so very much in demand when others struggle to make ends meet and to fill their rooms. Great place, great stay, great location. We'll be back -- often!!!

Room Tip: Reserve early. Get an ocean view. Don't hesitate to ask for help with anything you need.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank TheWizardOfAhs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I consider Rockaway Beach my home away from home. Someday I will live there, until then, I visit as often as possible. I first discovered this slice of heaven about 15 years ago. Unfortunately, it took me about 5 or 6 of those years to discover the Tradewinds Motel. I don't have any real gripes with the other motels in town (and I've stayed at most of them), but the Tradewinds is the best in my opinion. The first thing one will notice about the room is how clean it is. Yes, even the fridge, stove and microwave are clean. And, get this, the dishes are CLEAN! Yes, you can actually use the dishes straight out of the cupboard without feeling the need to wash them first. Needless to say, a place that takes that kind of care of the kitchenette and dishes/silverware also takes care of their rooms and grounds. Is it the most modern place in the world? No, but who cares? You have functioning plumbing, clean carpet, kitchen, dishes and sheets, a fireplace, wi-fi if you need it and a million dollar view. Of course, only half the rooms have the kitchen, fireplace and view, but the other side is just as clean. Perhaps the coolest thing about the rooms is that almost all of them can be opened up and connect to one another. This works so well for larger groups or if you just want some extra room. Also, the rooms are affordable enough that getting an oceanfront room (queen bed and hide-a-bed) with a connecting non-oceanfront room (two queens in this one) is affordable and gives you tons of room. The oceanfront rooms connect to one another as well. There is the ability to connect four rooms together! How's that for a mini-family reunion or b-day party stay?

So, ok, enough of the rooms. A motel room is a motel room, right? As long as it has hot water and is clean, it's all the same. What really sets the Tradewinds apart are the owner, Neil, and his wonderful family. They are locals, they know Rockaway Beach and all the surrounding areas. If you need a place to buy raspberries, just ask Neil. If you need good Mexican food, ask Neil. If you want to know the best place to watch the sunrise or sunset, ask Neil. Please, if you stay here, get to know Neil and his family, they are a wealth of information. Don't pass up the good free advice.

Lots of people have mentioned staying on the ground floor, I have to admit that I like the second floor best. Call it being paranoid due to living in the big city for too long, but I hesitate to leave the sliding door open all night when I am on the ground floor. However, on the second floor, I can open the door and let the sounds of the ocean keep me company all night. It gets chilly there at night, even in the summer, so the fireplace is wonderful. Also, I'm a bit of a loner so the second floor allows me to be in my own little world without having to deal with people coming and going in the patio area. However, if you want to socialize, some of the nicest people in the world are regulars at the Tradewinds. Try it, you'll never go anywhere else when in Rockaway Beach.

One last thing, don't let anyone know how wonderful Rockaway Beach is. Let's just let it remain the best kept secret on the Oregon Coast, ok? :)

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor oceanfront room on a corner...trust me.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank MsIrishGypsy
Washington
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My husband and I have stayed several places along the Oregon Coast. We've stayed at nice hotels in Cannon Beach. We've stayed at middling places farther down the Coast. We've rented houses; we've even camped. By far, I think this hotel is the best deal we've found.

For a start, the prices are very reasonable, probably half what you'd pay in Cannon Beach. Personally, I like Rockaway Beach as much as Cannon Beach. It lacks the shopping options of Cannon Beach and the Haystack, but is a gorgeous beach and is much less crowded than Cannon Beach.

Second, this hotel is right on the sand. We usually have a ground floor room, from which we can admire the water from the comfort of our bed (very useful given the mixed weather in Oregon). There is nothing between this hotel and the ocean.

Finally, the rooms, while modest, are very functional. The bedding and decor is very "cheap motel" but not unreasonable for the price in my opinion. The hotel has a kitchenette which is very useful for eating a couple meals a day. Even in Cannon Beach, eating options are not exactly unlimited on the Oregon Coast, so it's great to be able to bring breakfast and lunch materials rather than having to eat out all the time.

The rooms feature a fireplace, though you must pay $5 or so for each Duraflame log. Even in the summer, I find a fire very nice. The rooms also include DVD players. The hotel rents DVDs, but their selection is very limited, so bring your own.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gte190f
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We've been going to the Tradewinds Motel for years now and we've only had great experiences. Neil - the owner/proprietor - is without fail always friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, funny and an all-around great human being. If you want advice on a local place to go to, or what roads may be closed or flooded during rough weather times, Neil will know or find out for you. He is the type of person who doesn't just expect your business, he earns it. Every time.

Rockaway Beach is a coastal town that is not overrun with hordes of visitors like in Lincoln City, Cannon Beach or Seaside, for instance. The beach is beautiful and it goes on for a long stretch, and you can walk the town easily as it is very small. Getting back to the Tradewinds Motel ...

It's easy to make jokes about the 'wrong side of the tracks' but the Tradewinds is on the correct side of the (almost completely unused) railroad tracks: the ocean side. If you choose to stay in an ocean-facing room (which is half the rooms) you can leave your sliding door open with just the screen in place and smell the ocean and sleep to the calming (to me) sounds of the waves crashing on the beach. You can be on the actual beach in 60 seconds or less, which means when you need to make a bathroom run, your hotel room is right there, you don't have to search for a public restroom.

If wireless internet access is important to you, the southernmost rooms have spotty coverage; the signal is there, you just have to move around a bit.

There is a fireplace in most rooms, and many also have a full kitchen and small fridge, so you don't have to dine in a restaurant if you don't want to. The beds are comfortable, there's always hot water in the showers, and the water pressure is fine. The accommodations are a little dated, but things are always clean, comfortable and in working order. I've always found the Tradewinds Motel to be comfortable and peaceful, and when I need to get away from the city, I know I can depend on the Tradewinds.

Room Tip: Bottom floor, ocean-side for quick beach access!
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
BC
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Great beachfront hotel. Surprisingly nice rooms with fireplaces and fully equipped kitchens! Clean and comfortable. Highly recommended! The only complaint is about the service, they could be more available. It was clean, the amenities were a bit old, but absolutely in proper working order.

Room Tip: Get the ground floor with patio access.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2011

My wife and I have vacationed here over 10yrs. Neil, the owner and his extended family have always gone out of their way to be of help. Particular occasion comes to mind was 9/11 it occurred during our stay we were devastated an he insisted we return to our home and family. Now that is sacrifice. Additionally he is a civic minded individual truly interested in the vitality of Rockaway as a community. Do give the Tradewinds a try you won't regret it. The Haywards

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rnmjays
Saluda, South Carolina
Reviewed December 8, 2010

We relocated to this motel becasue of a problem at another place (see my other reviews). I had read other reviews on Trip Advisor and chose to get an ocean front room on the first level. Excellent choice. You have instant beach access with a private deck. There is also a little yard with a picnic table. Squirrels and seagulls are all over the place getting any stray food. The room had plenty of space and was very clean. The furniture and furnishings are not the newest, but who cares. Cleanliness is much more important to us. The owner (Neil) was very friendly and helpful with any of our needs. No complaints here. Good Value, Good Location, Good people.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Beach Stay Motel
Beach Stay Motel
#6 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to Tradewinds Motel? Share your experiences!